Need help finding a bike

So, I need some help finding a bike. I live in Boulder, CO and bike some, but not a lot around Boulder, with occasional trips to Moab, Fruita and elsewhere. I have a old Trek Fuel that is probably 15+ years old (full suspension), and I am desperately in need of a new bike. The problem is I spend too much on skiing and can't justify spending a ton of money on a bike. So, I'd like to by something a couple years old and ideally spend in the $1500-$2000 (max) range. Not sure is have a strong feeling f about 29 vs 27.5.

Here's the questions, is my price range totally unrealistic, suggestions for most bang for my buck, and anyone selling something that might fit what I am looking for?

I probably need an XL, prefer a 1x or 2x, 140ish travel.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-1 Its just over $2000 NEW. its SO hard to beat this in value for a NEW bike, with new parts, with warranty, with dealer serivce, etc.

Call second tracks sports in SLC after looking at their website. When I was in there last year here were a bunch of grest bikes in that range.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Need help finding a bike

I'd watch Pinkbike's buy/sale or eBay for a used bike that fits what you want. Every once in a while you'll find a killer deal on a bike, that is if you are looking for a used bike.

If you want a new bike, their seems to be a sweet spot between $3000 and $4000 where you get really good frames and components. I know that's a more then you wanted to spend, but it might be something to consider. I think the cheapest carbon Santa Cruz Bronson is around there and tons of people love it.
    Last edited by skibrd; 06-25-2017 at 08:41 PM.

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511
    Hard to beat YT right now!

But used; you should be able to get a sweet rig for <$2K. It's a buyers market.
    However many are in a shit ton.

nsmb.com has had a couple very favorable articles about the Marin Hawk Hill which retails for ~$1500. That would be a good bet, as would the Giant Stance, or maybe a Kona Precept. Or keep an eye out for when Diamondback is running a sale on their website and snag a Release for ~2k. (DB also offers better deals through some corporate discount programs as well, so maybe check around for that).

I've never ridden one but have also heard good things about the Hawk Hill. Pretty sure there's a Performance Bike around Boulder and they're selling them for $1399.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...s%20&%20Frames
    The Sheriff is near!

Stop buying so much ski gear.

If you're the "Devon O'Neil" who wrote bullshit for Bike Mag, I laugh at your poseur ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Stop buying so much ski gear.

If you're the "Devon O'Neil" who wrote bullshit for Bike Mag, I laugh at your poseur ignorance.
    Sorry, differently Devon. Not sure who Devon O'Neil is, by it's certainly not me.

I have a 2012 Anthem X 29er I'm prepping to sell right now. Size L (I'm 6'1"). IMO it's more capable than your standard XC rig, and I rode it as more of a trail bike (wide bars, short stem) on Whole Enchilada, etc. Sounds like you're leaning towards 27.5 and longer travel but it'll be < $1500 for sure, and I'm in Boulder.

Check out University Cycles in Boulder. They have a good demo-to-buy program. After 10 days as demos the bikes are for sale, and the price keeps dropping as they get rented. Their inventory is on the website.

Large Giant dealers always seem to clear out previous year's bikes at the beginning and end of each MTB season, for like 35% off retail. Stance and Trance with okay component kits can be had between $1500 to $1800.

Used you definitely have a good set of options. You have a buddy that can vet things out? You should be able to get a 140mm travel used bike with XT components for $2000, but it might be more than a couple years old.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Be advised - that Stance has a "FlexPoint" rear suspension, which uses:

"The flexing action of the chainstay/ seatstay junction" to allow rear travel. And considering it's an alloy frame... this seems like a really bad idea.

But I'm no bike frame designer.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    "FlexPoint" rear suspension
    I personally have never owned one, but the MTBR thread issues seemed to quiet down after a chainstay update in 2015.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/stance-...s-1034629.html

I almost bought a Stance for my wife but then instead got a used Ibis from baby bear in this forum. I've never been concerned about Giant's support for frame/warranty issues. You'd have much more risk buying an aluminum Yeti or other boutique bike company with not a lot of cash on their balance sheet.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I personally have never owned one, but the MTBR thread issues seemed to quiet down after a chainstay update in 2015.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/stance-...s-1034629.html

I almost bought a Stance for my wife but then instead got a used Ibis from baby bear in this forum. I've never been concerned about Giant's support for frame/warranty issues. You'd have much more risk buying an aluminum Yeti or other boutique bike company with not a lot of cash on their balance sheet.
    Yeah. I've owned Giants for a long time now... no doubt they will have you covered if you break shit.

But... relying on flex in the frame itself seems like a bad idea with an alloy frame.

thanks everyone for your input. i'll follow up on some of these suggestions.
    Thanks again

I was at the Snowmass Demo this weekend and really liked the Spot Mayhem. It will be out of your price range, but the guys working the demo seemed like they would be really easy to work with.
    They offered anyone at the demo 15% off new and said that they are constantly cycling out their demo bikes for good prices.
    They're right in Golden and it wouldn't hurt to go see them and throw a leg over a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I was at the Snowmass Demo this weekend and really liked the Spot Mayhem. It will be out of your price range, but the guys working the demo seemed like they would be really easy to work with.
    They offered anyone at the demo 15% off new and said that they are constantly cycling out their demo bikes for good prices.
    They're right in Golden and it wouldn't hurt to go see them and throw a leg over a few.
    Thanks shredhead