total knee replacement -- references for surgeons in WA

Left knee TKR is inevitable due to advanced patellofemoral arthritis and OA throughout knee, likely in part the legacy of smashing my knee cap on a rock during a traverse of the Pickets in 1993.

Got a bead on two surgeons with good records and lots of experience, looking for a third opinion, preferably near Seattle area or in central WA.

Thanks

Lawrence Holland, works for OPA at Swedish in Seattle. He understands athletes needs - my buddy had a TKR in March and was skiing hard by December....

Dr James Crutcher did my friend's recent one.

10 weeks out.. you might of seen on FB that he was hiking on Rainier with us the other week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Dr James Crutcher did my friend's recent one.

10 weeks out.. you might of seen on FB that he was hiking on Rainier with us the other week.
    Lawrence Holland or Jim Crutcher are excellent, high-volume surgeons. I have worked with them both many times and I would happily have them operate on me should I need it. Fwiw, here's the Propublica analysis of surgical complications in Washington for TKR by surgeon: https://projects.propublica.org/surg...spitals/500027

Feel free to PM me with questions

I got a knee brace last August and my right knee did great up until July 1st when I got out of my van and my knee had apparently had enough. I could walk on it and did so until yesterday when it got really bad, walking more than a few steps without crutches isn't happening. My doc here in Bellingham is Michael Thorpe who did surgery on that same knee 10 years ago, meniscus repair and microfracture on the right side of the knee. Reconnected the quad tendon on my left knee about 7 years ago. I thought it was the microfracture repair that had worn out but it was cartilage thinning out on the inside of the knee, hence the brace which worked great, including skiing last season. I'm guessing I'm going to need the TKR now though. My appointment is Aug 1st. I made it when I could still walk on it but now I really can't/shouldn't and am on the cancellation list to try to get in sooner.
    Anyone know Thorpe? He used to be the knee doc for WWU sports teams, I don't know if he still is. He no longer works at the local hospital which I don't trust anyway but is now working exclusively at Pacific Rim Orthopedics where I had the previous surgeries. I was happy with Dr. Thorpe before but I'd be happy to go to Swedish if I thought it was the best option.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Thorpe did less than 20 TKRs, Crutcher did 401, Holland 169. Outcomes are volume dependent (https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...lume-hospitals), partly because of the surgeon, partly because of the hospital team. The Propublica link above grades every surgeon that does more than 20 TKRs per year in Washington - take a look. I'm not pushing Swedish, but the Swedish Ortho Institute does more than 5000 cases per year and the most joint replacements by far.

Thanks for the info. My wife has had really good outcomes at Swedish for other kinds of surgery.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Dr. Richard Kirby. Swedish system.
    I'm in the medical field and multiple physicians and other orthopedic docs have said this is where they would go.

Dick Kirby is a great guy. He's also a very good shoulder surgeon. He doesn't operate on knees.

Indeed! Please excuse my moronic response to the wrong thread. Got caught up in GIMPlandia.
    Have seen good patient results form Holland and Crutcher (albeit a smaller sample). Admittedly, my experience is largely Swedish.

good luck man. more reading I do, this isn't a "if" but a when for me. hopefully not for another 5-10 years.
    "Can't you see..."

Thanks. I've been doing multi-day trips in the mountains this summer on foot, thanks to a cortisone shot, a clunky knee brace (to prevent another hyperextension-caused patellar subluxation) and pain tolerance. I'll likely have knee replacement surgery in the next 12 months.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 08-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.

My buddy had a TKR and got back to doing fieldwork in the Alaskan bush, skiing, and practicing Aikido. He's had his other knee done, and he's already planning ski trips for the upcoming season. Good luck with your surgery if and when you have it.

And btw I would ask for an adductor canal catheter for post-op pain relief - it makes the surgery much less painful and improves rehab performance.

Went to see Dr Thorpe last Tuesday. X-ray showed bone on bone on the inside and bone spurs all over. Saw the brace guy Wednesday and had it readjusted, it wasn't doing much after the beating I've given it the past 11 months. We'll see how the knee responds before deciding on going for TKR.
    Ian... the Propublica stats only show hospital affiliated doctor results. Thorpe isn't affiliated with the local hospital which could be why he shows as having less than 20 procedures at Peace Health St Joseph. He does all his work at Pacific Rim Orthopedics. I mentioned both Crutcher and Holland to him, he was at UW with and knows both of them. In a month or so I'll see how my knee has responded to the readjusted brace and go back for a follow up appointment. Ian, you seem to have a lot of knowledge, do you work in the field?

I'm an anesthesiologist at Swedish and I've worked w Jim and Lawrence for 20 years or so. Lawrence operated on my younger son (meniscus repair). The joint program at Swedish (I.e. the whole team) is excellent, although I emphasize I'm not pushing Swedish because I work there. I can say I have personal experience of their work, and the work of the team, and my positive opinion is backed up by publicly available statistics. Other places are good also.
    Ive never met Dr Thorpe. He may be great. Almost all TKRs are done in a hospital....I'd ask him how many he does per year, how many the institution where he does them performs per year, and what his complication rate is.
    Good luck. Feel free to pm me if you wish.

My dad was a Surgeon.
    He always told me, the anesthesiologist is the one you should be looking for, because he's the guy that could kill you.
    Insurance companies are trying to shift you to assistants and don't want you to pick an anesthesiologist.