29'er wide rims?

I taco'd a rim set on my SC Tallboy last year and replaced them with some cheap 19mm wide Mavics. These are not very sturdy and it's time to get a proper set of hoops.

Most folks seem to be riding 25+ mm wide rims these days. They seem more stable and allow a wider patch of tire. I don't read a lot of mags or MTB forums but does going wider make sense?

With that said, does anyone know of a decent "wide" wheel set for under $400?

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Good stuff. For my 2.2-2.4 tires, it looks like I should be looking at 23-27mm wide rims.

I don't have a ton of time on them, but I've been pleased with the wheels I built up over the winter with a WTB Asym i35 up front, Stan's Flow MK3 for the rear. A Stan's Arch Mk3 would suit 2.2-2.4 tires nicely and would also come in at a very respectable weight. A narrower WTB offering better suited to those tire widths would surely be lighter than the i35 also. Any of these rims can be had at pretty reasonable prices. Only thing I'd stay away from are the Easton/Race Face ARC rims. A friend who is a much better/cleaner rider than me dented his up badly in just one season riding all the same stuff I do, and in less of a hack manner.

Edit: for some reason I thought you were just looking for rims. Wheel, if you want complete wheels.. want to guinea pig these for me? https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-bui...-29-82077.html The rear hub is potentially loud AF (120 POE will do that..) but if the weight is competitive they'd be tough to beat for a budget wheel. Been thinking about ordering a set for a while and haven't quite pulled the trigger.

I'm too cheap for carbon rims so I went with the WTB Asym 35mm rims as well. The rims were about $75 a pop and they're laced to Hope hubs. The set up cost me under $600 built but there are less expensive hubs out there to get you around $400. I've got 1000 miles on another set of cheap SRAM hubs that work just fine.

Boost or non-boost? I might be able to help you out. PM me.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

What setup are you looking for? I'm about to post two sets of Stan's Flow MK3 wheels (29mm internal) for sale... XD driver, 15x100 and 12x142 (non-boost). $325 plus shipping for the set.

buy those^ great deal.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I built a set of Wtb i29s (29mm internal) on bitex(bikehubstore.com) hubs with spokes and nipples for About $370. 29 is perfect for my 2.5 wide trail maxxis tires, and it's acceptably light. I've beaten on them for the past thousand miles on local trails and some lift service dh and they have never given me any problems.

DT swiss E1900
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I can't remember the article but Specialized said something similar to what Enve did, that too wide causes issues, and concluded that around ~30mm internal was the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    ...Only thing I'd stay away from are the Easton/Race Face ARC rims. A friend who is a much better/cleaner rider than me dented his up badly in just one season riding all the same stuff I do, and in less of a hack manner....
    These looked nice to me but I've also had two friends beat them up pretty badly.

edit: I've also had good luck with WTB i25 rims. They mount up great and are pretty durable. I haven't tried the lighter KOM versions, but I'm sure they are less durable.
    Last edited by Dromond; 06-22-2017 at 11:35 AM.

I've been happy with my aluminium Ibis 938s. They're the first generation ones with the shit, no-name hubs, but they've been bulletproof after 1500 miles under a heavy steel hardtail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0031.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	531.8 KB 
ID:	208552

Name:  IMG_20170404_131420101_HDR.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  202.1 KB

X3 on the Easton/race face arc's. Put a few dings in my rear arc27 in one year. Amazed how ez I was able to pull them back straight with a couple pieces of flat metal and vice grips. Super soft aluminum. Nice that I was able to pull them back. Usually that would've cracked the sidewall on other rims pulling that big a ding out but the ding wouldve been warranted because I really nailed something. Dings are pulled back now but one punched the inner wall in pretty good. Never done that before. Was thinking I was fast until I discovered it was just shitty rims. Might have to get some wtb's.

Strange a bunch of you guys have had bad experiences with the ARC rims. I've got 2 season on a set of ARC 27s and they've been very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Merlin Cycles has these 29" Arch S1 for $393.54 shipped. This is probably the way to go.

Universal Cycles has the whole 29" S1 Series (5 different rim widths 23mm to 35mm) for $408 with code "FerretBusyness15".

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    buy those^ great deal.
    What he said

Dings kind of seem to be a trade-off. Softer metal = less flats/more dings. Harder metal = more flats/less dings. Generally, rims that ding easily are pretty easy to bend back. Not flatting is worth that to me. YMMV, I'm pretty light, and am not terribly hard on rims. I do seem to be flatting a lot lately, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What setup are you looking for? I'm about to post two sets of Stan's Flow MK3 wheels (29mm internal) for sale... XD driver, 15x100 and 12x142 (non-boost). $325 plus shipping for the set.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Merlin Cycles has these 29" Arch S1 for $393.54 shipped. This is probably the way to go.

Universal Cycles has the whole 29" S1 Series (5 different rim widths 23mm to 35mm) for $408 with code "FerretBusyness15".
    FWIW, the S1 version are kind of dumbed down, and 200-300g heavier than their MK3 counterparts...