Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wanted: Dog-Related Advice and Wisdom from The Collective

It's been 10 years since I've had a dog, 10 years of rentals and generalized poverty and instability.

Now, wife and I are in a home and slowly working toward being ready for a dog. So here's what happened last week:

Wife got antsy and went to the local shelter while I was at work, met the sweetest 7 year old beagle, and brought her home. I was nervous, we live in the urban area of a small town and had no fence, I hadn't met this dog, etc. Well, the dog was indeed possibly the world's sweetest dog...adorable, etc. So I totally bonded with this little hound, with her stupid little wiggly tail and putting her head on my lap and all that stuff.

We started learning two things:
    1) dog fully blows up wife's allergies. On zyrtec and still very sick.
    2) Dog has insane, 10/10 separation anxiety and wants desperately to escape any confinement and is very clever about it.

(edit: I got a fence up in about a day, but ...) She escaped and ran across a huge busy highway, to my total horror, and ended up at the same shelter she came from.

So, we were looking at keeping this dog indoors while both of us are gone, which really isn't more than a few hours at a time most days, because of the tunneling escape and the highway etc, but having her losing her mind in the house isn't great, nor is having her in the house all the time with wifey being super allergic.

So, even though we both love this dog, and felt like complete, utter pieces of shit, we brought her back to the shelter. Dog, though upset, is likely already home with another family who were there when she came back and set everything up to take her home today. So that's basically good. Wifey and I will be a little heartsick for a while. It was an emotional roller coaster of a week.

But now: what about dogs for people with dog allergies?
    So much of what I'm reading about this involves AKC specific breeds...and the kind of fancy weird dogs that come from puppy mills and cost $1000. Not at all my scene.
    Any wisdom on this? Anybody been through this?
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-19-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added important detail

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/hypoallergenic-dogs/

Or how about Labra or Golden doodle

Beagle was a pain in ass? Astonishing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

can't answer the allergy part, but the separation anxiety (which may happen with any dog you get) can be greatly helped by a properly sized crate.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Jack Russell Terrier all the way!

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

You can likely google dogs that don't cause allergies???
    I have adopted two Keeshonds over the years and people with dog allergies had no issues being around them. Very good dogs. They train really well as the live to please their humans. I really miss Shadow and Kava.
    http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/keeshond#/slide/1

Edit to add: Have a fence up before you get another dog you ding dong. Adopted dogs will split until they come to love you and even then some may leave, so keep them safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You live on unfenced property, near a busy highway. The wife is allergic to dogs, so a full time inside dog seems an unlikely fit. There must be some portion of the day that you are both gone, thus the separation anxiety, and the potential that a different dog, even w/o separation anxiety, will get bored, and want to wander. Maybe think 2x about a dog.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Maybe no dog. Just have a kid.

May trigger allergies in my experience

We have a labradoodle and a sheepdog-poodle. They don't shed, but neither Mrs C nor I are allergic to dogs anyway. They are supposed to be better for people with pet allergies than most other breeds.

Or you could go with a hairless dog.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We have a labradoodle and a sheepdog-poodle. They don't shed, but neither Mrs C nor I are allergic to dogs anyway. They are supposed to be better for people with pet allergies than most other breeds.

Or you could go with a hairless dog.

"She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I should have included that the first day the dog was home I built a fence. It's kind of complicated, most of the yard was already fenced and I had to build some to complete it. This last dog dug a fairly epic tunnel.
    We're not directly on a highway, but it's in the vicinity.

Yes, beagle wasn't really on my radar. Antsy wife got antsy, dog was incredibly sweet and calm other than going batshit when left alone.

The main question is: for a (relatively) hypoallergenic dog, am I basically stuck dealing with "breeders"?

Having had dogs, and roommates with dogs, and family with dogs over the years, I don't think our setup is really that out of the ordinary for owning a dog....The whole allergy situation, and possibly not being able to get a shelter dog and/or mutt is completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post

Edit to add: Have a fence up before you get another dog you ding dong. .
    I get it. This wasn't really my move...happened while I was at work. Wife is not normally like that, dog was genuinely sweet and we would have found a way to work around everything except the allergies but that was basically insurmountable. I had a fence up in about 24 hours of pretty hard work. When this beagle ended up back at the shelter they said "oh yeah, I'm not surprised she dug out of your yard, she got out of the shelter yard the other week". We tried a crate, she was crying and totally upset in there. Just wasn't going to work.

Maybe keep the wife outside in a crate.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    We tried a crate, she was crying and totally upset in there. Just wasn't going to work.
    don't fall for that. Many dogs (I'd guess almost all) cry when they are first forced to get in the crate. Some get it over it in minutes, some might take days.

Yes, hearing the crying might suck for you (or more likely your neighbors) but don't be a sucker and say "aw, Fido doesn't like the crate, I guess that won't work for us."

I mean you could keep her inside in a crate.

People live in cities. People have dogs. People who live in cities have dogs. A fenced area is certainly nice but the time spent with and walking the dog is more important IMO.

How about adopting one of those greyhounds they rescue from racing? They are short haired dogs so maybe that will help with the allergies.

Just let a feral half dead diseased cat live in your house.

I would enjoy a cat, or most cats anyway, but the allergy thing is a no-go.

Kinda hoping to figure out a catlike dog who doesn't fire up the allergies. We have a decent yard, covered porch inside the fencing, and a mud room that will get a dog door if dog wants to come indoors. I think that's all pretty reasonable. Finding the right dog under these circumstances (small town, very specific breeds....really don't want to deal with puppy mills..) is going to be tough I think.

Anybody have a toy poodle? Maltese? .... I know, not manly, but supposedly good for the allergies. I'm not trekking into the backcountry with this dog, just neighborhood walks and maybe some swimming if I can find one that swims well and likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    How about adopting one of those greyhounds they rescue from racing? They are short haired dogs so maybe that will help with the allergies.
    That's a good thought, thanks.

There are breed-specific "rescues" out there. You may need to be patient, travel a little, and get an adult dog, but it won't cost the $1,000 you fear.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I think of our detached one car garage as my crate.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I was gonna write that. Have to be fast here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Jack Russell Terrier all the way!

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    GF got one of those things a year ago its amazing how atheletic they are but it is the biggest pain in the ass, chewing on everything, still shitting in the house sometimes, bad attitude, doesn't listen ...
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    There are breed-specific "rescues" out there. You may need to be patient, travel a little, and get an adult dog, but it won't cost the $1,000 you fear.
    This^^^^^. Do your research, find the breed that works best for your situation and then look to adopt one. In the past I have also emailed breeders in my state asking if they knew of a dog that may be available down the road (not a puppy) and have usually been offered a show quality dog they were no longer breeding for a fee.
    Sure, it is more money than going to the pound, but we are talking a quality dog with a complete history. That is worth a bunch to me.
    Also, a dog like that will have been well trained and is likely very good with a crate. My American Alsatian loves his crate to this day and he is 6 years old.
    PS: The dander from an American Alsatian will kill your wife in case you just want a dog
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

from what I understand it's not the hair but the dander

dachsunds are supposedly pretty good for people with dog allergies

this beagle is probably not a good fit for you guys