Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wanted: Dog-Related Advice and Wisdom from The Collective

Cockapoo. Smart and as "hypo"allergenic as it gets and sounds like the size you're after more or (a little) less. Not technically a recognized breed so not as pricey w breeders and you can also find in shelters as well on occasion.

And Ya, it's the dander, not the hair

Get a rat
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Haven't had time.to read the thread, so just skimmed it. Two things come to.mind, keep the dog and get rid of the wife. And you are a bigger wimp then the dog. Crate training beagles is must. Let the fucker whine.

More to follow, but I have been skiing all day and need to drink to rehydrate. Mammoth Brewing Company here I come.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post

Was gonna go with a lizard, but fish is better.

Give the dugg some indica edibles. It'll chill.

Sent from my SM-J327P using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    How about adopting one of those greyhounds they rescue from racing? They are short haired dogs so maybe that will help with the allergies.
    BIL& SIL take in retired greyhounds. Do not get one unless your property is hermetically sealed off from the world. Greyhounds get a glimmer of daylight and they are gone forever. They had one bolt when neighbor came through their gate. Knocked neighbor down as he sprinted for freedom. Never saw the dog again.

Retired Greyhounds are so sheltered they have no clue how to survive in the real world. Ya gotta teach them about stairs, and they have no clue about standing water. I was there when they brought one home - he bolted across their yard and tried to run across the swimming pool. The look on its face as it sank was priceless - until we had to mount a rescue

A labradoodle was a good fit with my brothers allergies but he is not a whiner by nature. I had beagle that was so scent driven that it kept breaking out and running away to chase rabbits all night even after I hit it in the head with a rock.

OP. So why do you want a dog? Serious.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Cockapoo. Smart and as "hypo"allergenic as it gets and sounds like the size you're after more or (a little) less. Not technically a recognized breed so not as pricey w breeders and you can also find in shelters as well on occasion.

And Ya, it's the dander, not the hair
    we have one. she's very smart but almost cat-like in her independence. she has done some chewing--underwear crotches and for a while she was chewing bedspreads but seems to have given that up. very playful still at 8 years old and retrieves from the water like a lab--better than a lot of labs I have seen. Barks a lot and tends to act weird around other dogs--doesn't know how to be submissive towards large dogs and will run when she shouldn't. We got her as a puppy, her background is suspicious and I suspect she was not well socialized as a pup. She gets along well with our cocker, who her does her best to completely ignore her. We don't have dog allergies so as far as that I only know what Google DVM says.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    GF got one of those things a year ago its amazing how atheletic they are but it is the biggest pain in the ass, chewing on everything, still shitting in the house sometimes, bad attitude, doesn't listen ...
    Sounds like a lot of mags.

Although the size of a cat, ours is on the opposite spectrum - a window licking lap dog. Not a fan of the water at all though either. Not a yapper and is pretty trainable considering how lazy I am at training

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    BIL& SIL take in retired greyhounds. Do not get one unless your property is hermetically sealed off from the world. Greyhounds get a glimmer of daylight and they are gone forever. They had one bolt when neighbor came through their gate. Knocked neighbor down as he sprinted for freedom. Never saw the dog again.

Retired Greyhounds are so sheltered they have no clue how to survive in the real world. Ya gotta teach them about stairs, and they have no clue about standing water. I was there when they brought one home - he bolted across their yard and tried to run across the swimming pool. The look on its face as it sank was priceless - until we had to mount a rescue
    That's fucking funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Get a donkey
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

You dont need to find a breeder or rescue org...you need to find a taxidermist.

Potbellied pig.

Dead serious.

you would need to find a butcher

Dead serious
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you would need to find a butcher

Dead serious
    Huh? You can eat dogs as easily as a Potbellied Pig, or are you talking about feed?

Actually he needs more room for a pig, but they're certainly less allergenic than dogs.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i aint got much wisdom or advice but i'm gonna leave this here
    When I got my new Dog
    I asked for strength that I might rear him/her perfectly;
    I was given weakness that I might feed him/her more treats.
    I asked for good health that I might rest easy;
    I was given a "special needs" dog that I might know nurturing.
    I asked for an obedient dog that I might feel proud;
    I was given stubborness that I might feel humble.
    I asked for compliance that i might feel masterful;
    I was given a clown that I might laugh.
    I asked for a companion that I might not feel lonely;
    I was given a best friend that I would feel loved.
    I got nothing I asked for,
    But everything that I needed
    -author unknown

stoked for the place youve found yourself
    keep trying
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

OP, dont get another dog.

A beagle? What were you thinking?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Haven't read the thread, but I beleive you get out of a dog what you put in. We had a lab, which I know is cheating from the start, pre-kids, and I trained the shit outta that thing. could go anywhere off-leash. The dog trainer, who was really training me, said there is nothing that you can't teach or train any breed to do. just takes time. We have a really sweet golden now, but always has to be on a leash. the kids took all my time.

heavy lab mix from the pound, if your wife can stand it, and youtube training vids, and time. you'll figger out quick if you really are dog people.
    "Can't you see..."

Dogs and crates can be a major struggle. I've had dogs that take to them right away, and others that won't have anything to do with them...cut themselves up trying to claw/bite their way out.

When Odin was a puppy, we found out from our upstairs neighbors he howled all day long. He was so loud, the guy could not conduct business on the phone. I tried all sorts of remedies, even took him to work and left him in the car (winter time, he loved being in the car). Finally, I tried a citronella collar. It was like magic. He barked once, got sprayed. He barked again, got sprayed. Then never barked again while in his crate.

I thought for a long time he was still howling while we were away at work. We would come home, and his fur around his face was saturated with the spray. However, my neighbor said he never hears Odin. After weeks of this, we found out the cause. Our other dog, an American Eskimo, would bark near the crate and trigger the spray. Poor Odin was getting hammered with the citronella as an innocent bystander. We put that collar on the Eski and stuck him in the crate. He didn't think barking was so funny any longer.

Beagles equal small smelly hound. Smart as hell but annoying to the max.

Golden doodle all the way, but they are smart, and somewhat hyper active. Daughter has one coming up on two years old and it is calming down. Great pup.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

We've had way more than our share of dogs. Everyone is different, with their own personality.

For awhile, we fostered rescue dogs. God, I'm glad we don't do that anymore. I'd say about 80% of those had severe emotional damage by the time they made it to the pound. Some snap out of it, but others never do.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    We've had way more than our share of dogs. Everyone is different, with their own personality.

For awhile, we fostered rescue dogs. God, I'm glad we don't do that anymore. I'd say about 80% of those had severe emotional damage by the time they made it to the pound. Some snap out of it, but others never do.
    Rescued dogs can have a lot of baggage, as their former humans suck at life and deserve to be put down, however, with a lot of love and patience, you can make them happy and well balanced dogs. It just isn't a job most people can do. So ya, if you don't work from home and are not willing to devote a lot of time to the dog, don't take on a stressed out dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.