Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old climbing ropes

What do you do with old climbing ropes? I have a ~300 ft static line and 50 m climbing rope from the early 90's. Having a hard time dropping them in the trash can. Figure I can use the static line for something.

1. Make dog leashes and collars.

2. Sell them to trendy toque and doggers and millenials.

3. Profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I bet you could braid or weave, or whatever, that 300 foot piece and have a sweet tow rope for your vehicle.

Related: I have a 70m rope that was in perfectly good shape when it was last packed into my rope bag. That was like 8 years ago. Is it still safe to use?

Know of anyone who wants rope to turn into something they sell?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I bet you could braid or weave, or whatever, that 300 foot piece and have a sweet tow rope for your vehicle.
    A few years ago I cut off a 20' piece tied it around a post and the other end to the truck to see if I could break the rope, no luck until having cut part way in the rope. Impressive and it was about 15 years old at that time. But yeah, the static line might be worth keeping for construction type activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Related: I have a 70m rope that was in perfectly good shape when it was last packed into my rope bag. That was like 8 years ago. Is it still safe to use?

Google "climbing rope rug." Here's an example:

Give it to your Dom to use on your Bitch ass

I swear this thread already exists... but am not going to go digging for it right now.

I say rug, although havent made mine yet and have a couple of old ropes sitting in my loft.

Yeah, Google rope rugs. I turned my 30 year old rope into one using the weave above. There are several patterns you can do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Looks like you can pay someone on etsy $40 plus shipping and they will make the rug. How many hours did it take to make yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Google "climbing rope rug." Here's an example:
    there's a whole chapter in the Ashley book of knots on mats with other patterns you can copy - starts on Pg 361 of the pdf linked here, for free
    https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots

Rafters and boaters like old climbing ropes because they are strong and handle well when wet. Good for on the river and as tie downs for transport.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Rafters and boaters like old climbing ropes because they are strong and handle well when wet. Good for on the river and as tie downs for transport.
    no, we dont ...... we like boat line and tubular webbing: dynamic climbing ropes are designed to streeeeeetch when loaded; great when taking a wicked whipper but not great when tying up 1000 pounds of boat, beer, gear, food and fuel ......
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

You can get some PVC or wood for rungs and make a Bachar ladder for training in the back yard. I did that once.
    Name:  bacharladder-365x365.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    You can get some PVC or wood for rungs and make a Bachar ladder for training in the back yard. I did that once.
    Name:  bacharladder-365x365.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  41.6 KB
    There's not a lot of quicker ways to blow out your shoulder than that one.

I'm either paying the Etsy lady or getting a friend to make mine. Washing them is worth it so I do not having to deal with that fucking disaster.

Never had a shoulder problem working out on a Bachar ladder, but if you do then you can still get a good workout by keeping your feet on the rungs to take some weight off your shoulders.

Sent from my SM-J500M using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    How many hours did it take to make yours?
    The better part of a six pack...sent most of an afternoon/evening working on it, drinking and watching old Doctor Who episodes, so not a real efficient use of time.

edit to add: It was fun, not something I would want to do all day everyday, but it's a good way to spend a rainy day.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have several 90's era ropes around. They are in really good shape but relegated to other rope uses, like tying loads on trailers and such. Your old climbing rope will probably be the best rope in your garage pile of non-climbing ropes

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I have several 90's era ropes around. They are in really good shape but relegated to other rope uses, like tying loads on trailers, bondage and such. Your old climbing rope will probably be the best rope in your dungeon pile of non-climbing ropes
    FIFY

iscariot

I like smaller 1/4" ropes for that. The knots cinch tighter and are harder to loosen with one's teeth

I'd be interested in a couple hundred feet if anyone has some old ones they are looking to get rid of. Pm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

I'd also be interested if people are looking to get rid of some. Shipping and beer money?

Let me see if I can fit one in a large flat rate USPS shipping box or get a quote for shipping to you guys.

Preference for black static rope or multi bight color elastic rope?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Let me see if I can fit one in a large flat rate USPS shipping box or get a quote for shipping to you guys.

Preference for black static rope or multi bight color elastic rope?

Static for me thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.