Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A gallon a day orange juice habit.

Yep.

Anywhere from a half-gallon to a gallon of OJ a day. I got into the habit because it's sooo silky smooth and cooling. I've got a fridge full of nice cooling almond milk, cashew milk, kefir, a pitcher of ice water, etc, but I go for the orange juice because it's just so damn silky and cooling. And I don't just drink an 8 oz glass at a time... I can easily down a quart before I even close the door.

What to do? I know that much citric acid and fructose CAN'T be good ( I have no signs of acidosis). I am concerned about even acquiring adult-onset diabetes over this crazy habit.

I am a VERY minimal alcohol drinker ( it takes me a week to finish one ale, and a month to finish a bottle of wine) and a non-smoker, basically non-toker, and I KNOW there is far worse shit to be addicted to, but I GOTTA get this orange juice monkey off of my back!

Anybody have similar orange juice affliction?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Yur teeth will rot out along with your gut.

Trader Joe's tangerine juice is the bomb
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Do yourself a favor and read about sugar and inflammation and disease. Evidence is pretty compelling and the consensus is growing that sugar is the culprit behind much, perhaps even most, chronic disease. Diabetes for one but many diseases are linked to inflammation. Sugar is also addictive. As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong) sucrose, glucose and fructose all behave in almost the same way in the body.

Try some water.

Luckily, I happen to think ice water, or water in general, is about the most delicious, most perfect drink on earth! In fact, so much so that I've often thought of starting a water bar...with various waters on tap (including the fabulous water of the Fox / Livengood area). Ice cold! But I gotta kick this OJ habit first.

Any 12 Step program for juice-o-holics?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

Buy smaller bottles? And only buy it that day? Just wean yourself down to a half-gallon, then a quart, then a pint etc. Doesn't have to be radical as long as you're going in the right direction.

And don't start eating candy or trying to find the sugar your body will crave elsewhere.

Alcohol is full of sugar and that's a major reason heavy drinkers have trouble quitting.

It's a damn tough addiction, Ice. Now I know how alcoholics feel. (Well, not really, but I've got a glimmer.)

Posted by DJSapp:

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Yep... And I've been a typeII diabetic for a decade.

This has been my go to remedy.

Makes it easier to keep the water volume up during colder climates too.

I haven't figured out what's bad about it yet but, I'm sure there is something ;(
    ​I am not in your hurry

I had a MAJOR sugar addiction as a kid! I remember clearly, taking a slice of bread and dumping a tablespoon or two of sugar on it and popping it in my mouth! Not to mention, secretly snagging the sugar envelopes at restaurants! But oddly enough, I grew up with a very slim, athletic body nonetheless. I guess genes.

My dad was addicted to alcohol, nicotine and valium, so I guess I got off easy.

Thanks, Ice. I'm going to get serious about kicking the OJ. I already LOVE plain water. I'm gonna wean myself off of OJ, such that I would be perfectly happy with one of those absurd restaurant-sized 6oz glasses of fresh-squeezed. That I can sip it slowly like a normal folk.

Posted by DJSapp:

knew a kid in college who had the same habit....... died

Wanna know how to break almost any addiction? Go through a (very) long term period of marginal income to the point where you can't afford much of anything other than the basics. I was a multiple times a day toker for over 30 years and now it's been a few weeks since I've had any at all and 18 months since I've had a fer real nugget to call my own. Thankfully my sales rep gig allows me to have some absolutely kick ass bike stuff but if it doesn't start becoming more successful that's gonna go away soon too. I'm tellin' ya, go broke and your addictions will become nothing more than a memory

OJ has about the same amount of sugar as soda. So you might as well drink a couple 2 liters every day.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    knew a kid in college who had the same habit....... died
    Hit by a bus?

That's gross.

When I have a hankering for something more flavorful than water I pour an ounce of cranberry or cherry juice into a pint of seltzer.

^^^ yep, black cherry concentrate is really good in seltzer.

But watch out for seltzer, it isn't as harmless as people think.

The fizz (Co2) tends to beat on tooth enamel. Avoid sipping a tall glass and then brushing soon after.

http://askthedentist.com/is-seltzer-bad-for-your-teeth/

Luckily, I happen to think ice water, or water in general, is about the most delicious, most perfect drink on earth! In fact, so much so that I've often thought of starting a water bar...with various waters on tap (including the fabulous water of the Fox / Livengood area). Ice cold! But I gotta kick this OJ habit first.

Any 12 Step program for juice-o-holics?
    Well, did you ever suck dick for Orange Juice?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm tellin' ya, go broke and your addictions will become nothing more than a memory
    Yeah...that's why almost all tweakers are Uber rich
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

It's a damn tough addiction, Ice. Now I know how alcoholics feel. (Well, not really, but I've got a glimmer.)
    Put vodka in it. You don't like booze, and therefore won't drink it... Or you'll end up actually knowing how alcoholics feel.

Either way it's a win.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yep.

Anywhere from a half-gallon to a gallon of OJ a day. I got into the habit because it's sooo silky smooth and cooling. I've got a fridge full of nice cooling almond milk, cashew milk, kefir, a pitcher of ice water, etc, but I go for the orange juice because it's just so damn silky and cooling. And I don't just drink an 8 oz glass at a time... I can easily down a quart before I even close the door.

What to do? I know that much citric acid and fructose CAN'T be good ( I have no signs of acidosis). I am concerned about even acquiring adult-onset diabetes over this crazy habit.

I am a VERY minimal alcohol drinker ( it takes me a week to finish one ale, and a month to finish a bottle of wine) and a non-smoker, basically non-toker, and I KNOW there is far worse shit to be addicted to, but I GOTTA get this orange juice monkey off of my back!

I haven't read the whole thread, but 6 oz of Tropicana is 110 calories, so a gallon is > 2300 calories. I read a 30 youe old male should take in ~ 2600 calories/day. Never mind the other factors people cited in the first few replies, you're gonna be a fat ass quickly.

BTW, I think grapefruit juice is the greatest slaker of thirst, but that is also acidy.

I assume you don't have acid reflux.... so keep pounding the OJ until you develop it, then the heart burn will make it easy to quit cold turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I drank the last of the OJ this morning. I'm not buying anymore until next Saturday, and then it's only to be a pint.

Filling up nice glass pitcher of ice water for the fridge. It looks so damn inviting I would dive right in if I was small enough and put on a tiny dry suit!!

Fuck you Orange Juice!! You're a con! A temptress!!!!

Posted by DJSapp:

The odd habits that come up on this forum are something to behold.

Get off the juice! Go cold turkey! See if there is a bed in rehab! Good Luck!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I picked up a mild OJ habit after my fresh pressed cider jones started getting out of control. Just 10 weeks ago I finally kicked after working my way down to 8oz with breakfast.

True story.

https://dailyhealthpost.com/4-hidden...s-bad-for-you/

Everything is bad for you in some way or another. Live out your OJ drinking dreams and never look back