Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    BTW, I found the climb to be surprisingly easy...long, but not very difficult and the exposure is not too bad (obviously depending on route,) so keep at it.
    What route did you take? Did you overnight or do it in a day? We're planning on camping in the Meadows.
    www.DeathCookieEntertainment.com

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

Last time I did upper exum, it was starting at the trailhead at 3am, back by 6pm. It's a long day, but you don't have to carry a heavy pack which in my opinion is worth it if you have the endurance. The weather window has to be good though because you summit around noon. Like hutash said, it can be exposed at times, but the climbing is relatively easy. Good luck if you make another push. Lots of gel packs for easy digestion!
    Last edited by Yonder_River; 08-04-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTate View Post
    What route did you take? Did you overnight or do it in a day? We're planning on camping in the Meadows.
    We went with Jackson Hole MG's since three of the four in our group had limited to no alpine climbing experience, so we stayed at their high camp for three nights. We did the Pownall-Gilkey route, and the three trad pitches were fun, but the rest of it was pretty much just scrambling. It was a nice intro. to alpine climbing...first day walk to high camp (saw the eclipse from there), second day was some easy alpine rock climbing (two of us then went out for a fun two pitch 5.8 climb.) Day three was summit day, left at about 4:30, back at camp by 2 after a pretty leisurely pace up and down the mountain. Came down the OS route but did the rappel, which is overhanging, so pretty fun.

Most people hiked out on day for be two of us went out for another multi-pitch climb before hitting the trail down. All in all a great few days with nearly perfect weather. The time frame was great for acclimatization.

Would love to go back and do it again on one of the longer trad routes.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Tate, thank you for putting in all the effort and bringing us along. As a fellow member of the '16 class, the story you guys tell in your film hit me hard--there are so many weird little nuances and details to these battles, and you brought them to life really powerfully. Can't have been easy.

A while back you mentioned wanting to put this behind you. I think I was still in treatment at the time and reading that I realized it was exactly what I wanted more than anything. My path went chemo first (gastric), so it gave me plenty of time to think before surgery, and the thought of getting past it was such a distant goal I hadn't even let it into my brain.

But your point in the film about the focus and appreciation of life that this brings is So real! I'm a year plus with no detected cancer now but, as Millsie has pointed out, the spector of recurrence survives. Your effort (and your wife's) give a powerful reminder to appreciate every day. Many thanks to you both!

Your wife's determination sounds really familiar. Have you guys watched this movie? I found it super empowering and it helped lend confidence to a lot of little things I found to "add" to chemo (some of which I told the docs about and some I probably should have but didn't):

https://www.survivingterminalcancer.com

One example: are you allowed baby aspirin these days? My docs said no before surgery but supported it emphatically after. There's some interesting research on longevity in GI cancer patients. Seems like it may help the immune system's targeting.

Good luck on both challenges, really hoping to see you make the climb!

Here's the full film on youtube...

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

I just watched it and it's very, very well done.
    A good friend is going through this now.

Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you all the good fortune in the world.

Cheers.

So well done. Wow. Hang in there and keep fighting.

I've been posting some stuff related to the film and other stuff going on lately in my blog, if you'd like to follow along.
    https://tatemacdowell.blogspot.com

Rooting for ya here on the east coast!

Thank you for sharing your story. It makes a difference.

Wow, a beautiful moving film Tate. Sending positive vibes from Downunder!

I've been posting some stuff related to the film and other stuff going on lately in my blog, if you'd like to follow along.
    https://tatemacdowell.blogspot.com
    Bump because this deserves to be at the top. Very well-done film, and good luck to you and the family. I hope to be following along with your story for the next several years. Hang in there, buddy.

Powerful and moving film. Keep fighting that fight Tate! We're all rooting for ya and hoping for a full recovery for both you and Brian

Mission complete !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585-4.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	244843

Nice!!!!!!! Congrats!

Hell yeah, Tate! Congrats!

Mission complete !
    So incredibly happy for your triumph. Your fight and attitude is an inspiration! Much love to you and your family.

Well that’s cool. Pulling for you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

fuck ya tate! that's rad! glad to see you got that summit

FKNA Tate! Great job!!!!

Mission complete !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585-4.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	244843
    FUCK YES!!! Keep it going.

Yahoo! Nicely done

I saw that on the Instagrams. Congrats man, nice work!

FKNA! Blog post about it yet?
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Hell yeah Tate! Congrats.