Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

New England Striper Conditions?

Any of you Mass/RI mags got any intel? Flying out next wednesday, will be on the cape starting the 29th-2nd and will be trying to get on some schoolies in and around the cape side of bourne/falmouth.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Schoolies?? Apparently what you're gonna be catching right now is 30lb monsters! I have not been out yet but was just cleaning and prepping some gear last night.. June is usually the best month for striper fishing IME. I'm assuming you're surfcasting?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StriperMigration_06_09_2017-750x1376.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	208106

Its been a little slow overall so far this year, a few big ones weighed in but not much volume...until yesterday. Yesterday there were a bunch of reports of schoolies, decent fish, seems as though the schools are pushing through the canal finally. Last weekend was a breaking tide and was very quiet but east tides in the canal the last 2 days have worked. I'll be down there this weekend, canal/south shore/falmouth
    Decisions Decisions

Brock good luck, Dad's place is at the Bayview campground just over the Bourne. I'll be trying a few of the smaller bays, rivers, Barlows landing, and the little bay near the railroad bridge, capeside. Will have access to Kayaks, and I've heard there are tons of small fish around so I'll be bringing a 5wt with sink tip and my 8 wt with intermediate and hopefully getting into some.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Pic not me, but guy in group to which I belong; he has been reporting increasing size in MA.
    In southwest RI, where I am, lots of big bass just offshore and moderate size in rivers/estruaries.

My kid in the Pawcatuck River with his first striper
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

I wanted this thread to be about strippers. Wrong kind of fish

A few from last year.
    Name:  striper2.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:	striper1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	880.7 KB 
ID:	208228

Well, if we're talking last year then I'll play

We rented a house in Barnstable for a week. One night was just a perfect combo of tide and weather. Stayed up until about 3am absolutely slaying huge stripers until we ran out of beer and couldn't reel anymore.

Edit- we kept 3 between 5 people.

Now we're talking! Love me some stripah!
    Damn T! Those are some hawgz!

I spent a good deal of my childhood summers on the cape in Pocasset, to the tune of about 2 weeks to a month for 12ish years. There are some excellent spots on Buzzards Bay. Without giving away too much, fishing any inlet/river/point from Bourne to Woods Hole can be productive, as well as the beaches early morning for cruising fish. If you have a spinning rod bring it with you on the kayak and troll a tube while moving from spot to spot, biggest fish we caught in the bay were on tubes north of the choke between wings neck and abiels ledge, especially around Toby's.

If you're looking for more info feel free to shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Brock good luck, Dad's place is at the Bayview campground just over the Bourne. I'll be trying a few of the smaller bays, rivers, Barlows landing, and the little bay near the railroad bridge, capeside. Will have access to Kayaks, and I've heard there are tons of small fish around so I'll be bringing a 5wt with sink tip and my 8 wt with intermediate and hopefully getting into some.
    Yup, familiar with that. Kid in my preschool, his parents owned bayside. And my first 2 years were in that trailer park off Barlows Landing. Grew up on the cape and still have parents house down there to sleep/keep some gear/freeze the occasional fish.

Will be hitting the canal in an hour, hearing a good top water bite at the east end right now. Hooopefully will post a pic later tonight/tomorrow am. Otherwise thinking about Hog Island or south cape beach to abuse some bluefish
    Decisions Decisions

Uncle this morning. 52#
    Decisions Decisions

boat fish don't count

Haha! That's exactly what I told him!!
    Decisions Decisions

seriously though that is one hell of a fish. did he get it on bunker?

Brock: Now that's a striper!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yup live pogy though he isn't 100% how "alive" it was by the time this guy hit
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Yup live pogy though he isn't 100% how "alive" it was by the time this guy hit
    Dead Pogies full of angle iron, spark plugs, lead sinkers and other shit have been the goto for the commercial bass guys for a long time. Lots of info on the google machine if you look up YoYo-ing Pogies.

Side note: Commercial Bass Season in Mass is the biggest fucking racket going. Bunch of guys in 100K Regulators, Contenders and other high end boats who need to fish to "make a living". Complete and utter bullshit.

Thanks for all of the insight and info everyone. Got out off Monument 3 days while I was home in the Kayak and a bit on the Back River just in from the Trap. Most were caught on the troll as I paddled up to drift down and cast, and most were caught on the 8wt. I did take out the 5wt one day and holy shit, the micro stripers on the 5 wt is a blast.

Name:	fish1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	209024

Name:	fish2.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	396.6 KB 
ID:	209025

Name:	fish3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	209026

Name:  fish4.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:	fish6.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	209028

Name:	fish5.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	209029

Fishy area! Heard the back river is loaded w eels right now. Ill be poking around the south shore tonight, hopefully water temps are still ok for shore fishing
    Decisions Decisions

Yeah it is, couldn't find much surface activity unfortunately, weather and the small flat water kayak my dad has didn't leave much options for longer paddles, but it was consistent every day. They loved the electric chicken (pink/chartreuse) patterns.

nice work!

Damn. That 52lb'er!!

nice work, that area can hold a lot black sea bass, just find some kind of structure and bounce a bucktail along..