Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

New England Striper Conditions?

Deceptive photo- if it was a keeper then it was like a 28-29’’er tops I would say. But it was interesting that the smallest fish we caught was probably 24-25.’’ We usually cast and reel schoolies on that spot. Fun first day with the boat in.

Also my dad is super short lol

Just got back in and the schoolies were hitting good from the canoe

Friends on socials were posting big lunkers from over the weekend, 30’’++, appeared like the bigger ones were caught further off shore. I usually stick to the rivers/mouths. It’s prime time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	239941No fish this day but good sunrise
    Decisions Decisions

Lots of big fish this morning. Landed 3 30+ pound bass. Also had a pretty good fish hit a jig before sunup. Took a ton of line with her, no problem, even after I put the boots to her, before popping off. Straightened the hook right out. Would have loved to get an idea how big
    Decisions Decisions

^Nice!! What region?

Cape cod canal
    Decisions Decisions

Nice. I’m gonna try far inland on the Merrimack River soon here up north. Betcha my results are worse! Congrats on the killer haul.

Sag Bay Me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180821_101313.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	244884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180821_115800.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	244885  

Nice clouser

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Cape cod canal
    anyone on the Vineyard for the tournament ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I wish

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    anyone on the Vineyard for the tournament ?
    Heading to Nantucket next week for the inshore classic. Pretty pumped to hopefully catch some big fish

Striper fishing has been a little dogshit since mid August. Albies have been around lately and bluefish on the south facing cape waters.

Going to try and get down to RI early next week from the surf. Maybe try and get to block island but could be a bit ambitious.
    Decisions Decisions

Just booked our get-away on the south side of Westport Island, Sheepscot/Kennebec. third week of August. Yeah, 6 months out but there's something special about cruising the flat looking for Striper. Who can recommend a mid-coast Maine outfitter, looking for some locally tied flies and a local brain to pick when I'm down there.

Anyone else doing the Cheeky tourney? Pretty excited about it, my liver is pretty concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Anyone else doing the Cheeky tourney? Pretty excited about it, my liver is pretty concerned about it.
    Not to piss in the punch bowl but ... I've given up on that tournament. Way too many people for a shore based tournament in that area. Its completely oversold and people are rampantly cheating since the prizes are fairly legit. There are only so many public parking places on the cape with access to water and if the wind is blowing from the either the north or the south everyone congregates in the areas where access is public. Not to mention tides play a huge factor in where to go. We did it for the first 4 years its not worth it in my opinion.

Are you making a trip just for the tournament?

Also it’s Cheeky. 🤮

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Also it’s Cheeky. ��
    A cynical prick like yourself could gather a years worth of material from the participants. This has to the year someone drags a #traeger out on the beach with them so they can post a pic on the 'gram.

Sort of reminds me I need a few of your stickers for my stripping basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    No, I'm going to tie it into a trip home to visit fam. I hear your complaints but I'm not at all taking it serious, I'm just going for a good time. I've got a friend who lives back there that talked me into it. I've only fished for stripers a couple of times and don't know much about them. Should be fun to learn some more, hopefully from some of the old timers that come out to fish the tourney. There's also a couple of local utah fly shop guys who fished it last year and they traveled out there just to fish it. They had enough fun last year that they are doing it again this year so it can't suck that bad.

think an 8wt is enough rod? I'd like to not buy another rod that only gets used once a year if possible.
    Last edited by dfinn; 03-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.

8 is fine, either an intermediate sink line or a sink tip 250/300 grain. Sandeel patterns, clousers (chartreuse over white), or small white baitfish stuff will work fine.

A stripping basket is a huge help, don't buy one for the trip just steal a basket from CVS, rip of the handles and thread an old wading belt through.

Got a spot for you that produces well in that time frame. I don’t fly fish because my testicles are too big but there are some other fly guys that hit the area as well. PM me (anyone interested).
    Decisions Decisions

A cynical prick like yourself could gather a years worth of material from the participants. This has to the year someone drags a #traeger out on the beach with them so they can post a pic on the 'gram.

Sort of reminds me I need a few of your stickers for my stripping basket.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtPJjRZD...=1i6fbx8nyiwdy

D, you'll love stripers. This thread is prompting me to look at flights so I can feed the itch this year.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Not to piss in the punch bowl but ... I've given up on that tournament. Way too many people for a shore based tournament in that area. Its completely oversold and people are rampantly cheating since the prizes are fairly legit. There are only so many public parking places on the cape with access to water and if the wind is blowing from the either the north or the south everyone congregates in the areas where access is public. Not to mention tides play a huge factor in where to go. We did it for the first 4 years its not worth it in my opinion.

We were in the tourney for the first time last year. Had a great time, placed 17th. We traveled a bit and didn't see very many other people all day. In it again this year. Never heard of anyone cheating (wouldn't be surprised), but like I said, have only done it once and we're not from the cape.
    on the send bus to gnar town