Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    I grew up in Grass Valley and lived in Davis for a summer. Both are great. Davis gets really hot in the summer but no more so than Sacto. As much as I love Grass Valley and Nevada City I would not recommend commuting from there. Davis OTOH would be a fantastic choice. It is mostly opposite traffic. It has to be the most under-rated college town in CA.

Be forewarned; if you talk to people who love Sacto, they will be quick to point out it's relative proximity to places you actually want to be (San Francisco, Tahoe, etc.). There's a reason for that - Sacramento blows. It's hot during the summer, it's gloomy and grey during the winter. I suppose that makes all of those nearby desirable places just that much nicer (Grass Valley is an hour away, Tahoe and San Francisco are +2 hours). One thing going for it - It's too far from the Bay Area to make that even an insane commute so housing prices have not gotten ridiculous there.
    I don't know about that characterization of the winters. Winters in the valley can be pretty damn good. You can bike, golf- even have a garden as it rarely freezes.

And I love the hot weather. Ya, 100 plus is pushing it, but there aren't many of those days. And there's plenty of watersports for those days.

And people are definitely commuting to the BA in droves. Prices are skyrocketing in Sac.

Midtown seems pretty hopping and fun.

I'm unclear about the adult and kid-free social lifestyle of auburn. It's definitely a car-oriented town with DUI check points on weekend nights.

In midtown and east sac, you have equal access to northern Tahoe, SLT, and Carson pass areas, which would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've always wanted to live in Rancho Cucamonga. I like the name.
    Thirty years ago it was substantially vineyards, now it's 100% suburban hell. The soccer-MILFs there are OK, at least.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

"Temecula - Avocado Capital of the World!"*

*This msg spnsrd by SoCalSmaug

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Thirty years ago it was substantially vineyards, now it's 100% suburban hell. The soccer-MILFs there are OK, at least.
    Do you mean 50+ years ago? RC, Pomona, Ontario etc was suburban strip mall hell 30 years ago.

I wouldn't recommend commuting from Davis to Roseville--between Davis and Sac over the Yolo causeway has gotten bad during commute hours (and on the weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Do you mean 50+ years ago? RC, Pomona, Ontario etc was suburban strip mall hell 30 years ago.
    Thirty years ago, well, maybe 35 or so years ago, one could still pick grapes in Cucamonga. And Upland, too.

Parts of Pomona are making a come back, at least. Still lots of Cholos, though.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Moving to Sacramento

Thirty years ago, well, maybe 35 or so years ago, one could still pick grapes in Cucamonga. And Upland, too.

Parts of Pomona are making a come back, at least. Still lots of Cholos, though.
    Actually upland was mostly lemon groves, but yeah every day after school we had massive lemon war fights through miles of groves. Still wineries in Ont and Cucamonga in late 70s early 80s. Now Everything completely covered by stripmalls, houses, and freeways. Even the old flood channels and washes from the mountains got built over. Great area as a kid in the mid 70s though.

The dagger finally struck when the 210 was finally completed in the late 90s.
    Last edited by mcski; 06-14-2017 at 09:28 PM.

There were still small lemon groves in Downey, of all places, back in the mid 70s. Yeah, I recall the "Lemon Wars". Great fucking times.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

[thread drift] ^^^ you guys ever skate at the pipeline?

Moving to Sacramento

Hell ya. Opening day and many after that. Only wish we had the board widths nowadays back then. Lots of dogtown guys would be there from time to time which was like watching superheroes in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post

The dagger finally struck when the 210 was finally completed in the late 90s.
    Do i have to start saying "the" in front of highway numbers when we move?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Do i have to start saying "the" in front of highway numbers when we move?
    No, that's SoCal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    No, that's SoCal thing.
    Our freeways once had names associated with the numbers (e.g, 210 was the Foothill Fwy., 110 was the Harbor Fwy south of the Santa Monica Fwy and called the Pasadena Fwy north of the Santa Monica. Of course east of the 5 (the Golden State Fwy) the Santa Monica Fwy logically becomes the San Bernardino Fwy. South of the Santa Monica, the Golden Gate is called the Santa Ana Fwy.

All these names could be where the "the" came about. Regardless, highway nomenclature was so much more simple in the old days.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

There were still small lemon groves in Downey, of all places, back in the mid 70s. Yeah, I recall the "Lemon Wars". Great fucking times.

Dave Alvin is from Downey.

Couple of cool things in Sacto--the farmers' market under the freeway downtown every sunday morning all year. This one has a very high ratio of produce stands to olive oil, gourmet cheese, etc. In south Sacramento Hmong farmers rent undeveloped land from developers to grow strawberries to sell by the side of the road. Great ripe berries. This will disappear as the land gets developed and the Hmong kids become doctors. As far as biking goes there is of course the American River bike trail, and people do mountain bike on the equestrian path next to the paved trail. I'm not a mountain biker so I don't know if that's considered good biking; it's flat. (Riding on the paved, 10 ft wide trail I encountered a rattlesnake with its head on the center line and its tail on the edge of the pavement. That's the only way I'd measure a rattlesnake. There are coyotes of course and rumors of mountain lions but I've never seen one.)
    Last edited by old goat; 06-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Hell ya. Opening day and many after that. Only wish we had the board widths nowadays back then. Lots of dogtown guys would be there from time to time which was like watching superheroes in the pipe.
    Opening day! That's cool.

My aunt+uncle owned it, and I'll bet you remember them. Jeanne was my "cool aunt", and was very hands on at the skatepark.

I lived too far away and wasn't old enough to drive, so I didn't spend as much time there as I would've liked, but I did see some of the "magazine guys" ride the pipe and combi pool.

Six degrees of separation right there.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Opening day! That's cool.

My aunt+uncle owned it, and I'll bet you remember them. Jeanne was my "cool aunt", and was very hands on at the skatepark.

I lived too far away and wasn't old enough to drive, so I didn't spend as much time there as I would've liked, but I did see some of the "magazine guys" ride the pipe and combi pool.

Six degrees of separation right there.
    That's pretty cool! It was def the place for groms to be in the late 70s. Kinda sad when they tore it down. Skateboarding took off again not too long after that too so it would probably still be going.

Speaking of small world, I was hitch hiking in southern France during college and met some surfers that couldn't stop talking about the pipeline when they found out I lived near it. Sent them some pipeline stickers when I got home.

Now that we're in full on thread drift to socal...

Speaking of small world, I was hitch hiking in southern France during college and met some surfers that couldn't stop talking about the pipeline when they found out I lived near it. Sent them some pipeline stickers when I got home.
    It was kind of legendary - in that it was the first of it's kind.

That's pretty cool! It was def the place for groms to be in the late 70s. Kinda sad when they tore it down. Skateboarding took off again not too long after that too so it would probably still be going.
    Yeah, possible for sure, but I don't think they ever really made much money with the park. Stan still worked his day job, and they had to crowd source the funding for the combi. Plus, within a few years of opening, at least a half dozen similar parks popped up in and around the inland empire. When they opened the park to bmx riders, it was because there wasn't enough skateboard business to keep it going. When the comps fizzled out in the mid/late 80s, so did the privately owned parks.

Plus, the land had increased in value to the point where it didn't make financial sense not to do something else with it.

RIP The Pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    I grew up in Grass Valley and lived in Davis for a summer. Both are great. Davis gets really hot in the summer but no more so than Sacto. As much as I love Grass Valley and Nevada City I would not recommend commuting from there. Davis OTOH would be a fantastic choice. It is mostly opposite traffic. It has to be the most under-rated college town in CA.
    If your wife is going to work at UC Davis, ^^^ this is pretty good advice. Especially, if you don't have to drive to Roseville more than few days a week (although obviously a longer drive to Tahoe).

Personally, I'd start with midtown/east sac for proximity to nightlife, etc. My brother lived in one of the 'hoods along 50 toward Folsom, and it was suburban hell.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

There are coyotes of course and rumors of mountain lions but I've never seen one.)
    Found a deer carcass in the bunker of #17 at Ancil Hoffman that had been stashed by a cat. F&G biologists estimated 5 taking up residence in the parkway at any one time.

Davis is a sweet town, not cheap, but a lot going for it. As long as you're willing to suck up the drive you'll have access to a lot of fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    If your wife is going to work at UC Davis, ^^^ this is pretty good advice. Especially, if you don't have to drive to Roseville more than few days a week (although obviously a longer drive to Tahoe).
    UCD Med Center is in East Sacramento, along with several other major hospitals (Sutter, Mercy, and Kaiser are all nearby).

Davis is super expensive, only has old shitty homes for sale, and is flat and boring. Don't live here.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

So Davis is expensive too? I guess it's all of the bay area to Tahoe now...

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    Stockton ?
    #8 on the list of ten most dangerous cities. #braggingrights

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...1-detroit/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    UCD Med Center is in East Sacramento, along with several other major hospitals (Sutter, Mercy, and Kaiser are all nearby).

Davis is super expensive, only has old shitty homes for sale, and is flat and boring. Don't live here.
    ^^ This. It's horrible. People move there and are never heard from again. Or even worse we .... I mean THEY start arguing about the deathly bicycle hazard of placing your landscape trimmings on the street for curbside pickup. And whatever you do, NEVER COME HERE ON PICNIC DAY!

I was wondering when some one was going to point out that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the UC Davis med center is not in Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ^^ This. It's horrible. People move there and are never heard from again. Or even worse we .... I mean THEY start arguing about the deathly bicycle hazard of placing your landscape trimmings on the street for curbside pickup. And whatever you do, NEVER COME HERE ON PICNIC DAY!

I was wondering when some one was going to point out that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the UC Davis med center is not in Davis.
    Nor, is the medical school
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.