Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone ever warrantied a frame?

While racking the bike Tuesday night I noticed this, rut roh:

It's definitely not just the paint. There also appears to be a another, less severe crack on the opposite side of the downtube. Giant has a lifetime warranty on their alloy frames for the original owner if bought from an authorized dealer, both of which apply to me. But, the full language on the warranty appears to give them numerous outs: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/downlo...ty_Details.pdf

Any advice before I take it into Go Ride? The frame definitely has some dings and wear, but there is no crash damage in the vicinity of the cracks.

I've seen multiple friends post about how great the warranty is with Giant and how great Go Ride treated them and the transaction. I'd say you have nothing to fear and may even end up with an upgrade replacement.

Yep, you should be fine. After cracking 2 Ventanas and a Transition (the latter company treated me more than fairly), I took a friend's suggestion when it was time for a new bike and got a Giant due to the warranty. Best price was Big Kahuna Bikes in Denver, and I drove up there to get it. When the AnthemX cracked, I took it to my closest Giant dealer, Rob & Charlies in Santa Fe. They gave me some grief but did agree to handle the warranty, and Giant was timely and thorough in getting me a replacement frame. Rob & Charlie's conveniently lost my receipt so that I wouldn't bother them again with another warranty, but Giant honored the warranty no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    While racking the bike Tuesday night I noticed this, rut roh:

It's definitely not just the paint. There also appears to be a another, less severe crack on the opposite side of the downtube. Giant has a lifetime warranty on their alloy frames for the original owner if bought from an authorized dealer, both of which apply to me. But, the full language on the warranty appears to give them numerous outs: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/downlo...ty_Details.pdf

Any advice before I take it into Go Ride? The frame definitely has some dings and wear, but there is no crash damage in the vicinity of the cracks.

Good to hear. I found mixed reports on the interwebs, but obviously people with a bad experience are more likely to post about it. Taken at face value, the language in their warranty policy could allow them to deny the claim if the bike has any non-stock parts and/or it has ever been worked on by anyone except an authorized Giant dealer.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out since most of the important parts will not transfer to the new frames. Sucks because in the last 3 months I've put at least $600 into it (new fork, AB oval ring, 11-42 cassette, OneUp Rad cage, new chain, and a pair of DHFs. New shock as of last fall too). I guess I should buy some new running shoes....

I'm betting they'll take care of you. If not and you end up bikeless, I have a rig you can borrow.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I guess I should buy some new running shoes....
    I dunno if they will allow you to run after your son at Sundance while he bikes, just a thought....although I'd like to see that.

The bike shop should always be on your side for things like this, I feel Go-Ride would be happy to be your advocate on this and explain everything to you better than anyone here can. And ask if they can work with you on an upgrade....

warrantied Gary fisher/Brodie/Devinci

Brodie was probably the best cuz they gave the dealer a new frame before they seen the cracked one

Devinci was the most spectacular failure, junior went down on a jump and peeked over the top holding half a bike in each hand

they don't give you any new components if they have changed on the new frame
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've got a buddy who did something similar to a carbon glory and they wouldn't warranty it, claiming it was obviously a crash (it wasn't)

I'm sure go ride will get it done though. Of all the companies to not take no for an answer from, giant is one of them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I cracked my 4 year old giant anthem bike frame last year and got a new 2016 frame without any hassles minus how long the warranty took. The bike was also a demo bike I bought from the shop at the end of its original season, but I have friends at the bike shop I bought it from so they took care of it.

something I thought was interesting though was the year prior, I broke maestro link (the piece that connects frame to the rear triangle and suspension) and that part isn't considered part of the frame and wasn't covered in their lifetime warranty, it was only a $60 part, but I was a little shocked it was not covered or considered part of the frame.

If those parts won't fit on whatever they give you, you could always sell the new frame and pick up something that will work with most of them. There is no shortage of used frames out there especially ones that are "obsolete".

I broke a Bridgestone MB 1 frame probably over twenty years ago. Bike was three years old and broke at the headtube/downtube joint. They sent me a brand new, current model-year bike as a replacement, no questions asked.

Heh, I broke a Bridgestone once--an RB-3 became an RB-2, which mostly hangs in my garage now, but it's still a cool bike. I should put the pedals back on.

I think the shop charged me some nominal fee to transfer the parts and handle the paperwork, but they were douches whose stereo system cost more than their inventory. Sounds like their kind survives, even though they didn't.

.......... just about everyone who's ever had a Yeti?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Good to hear. I found mixed reports on the interwebs, but obviously people with a bad experience are more likely to post about it. Taken at face value, the language in their warranty policy could allow them to deny the claim if the bike has any non-stock parts and/or it has ever been worked on by anyone except an authorized Giant dealer.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out since most of the important parts will not transfer to the new frames. Sucks because in the last 3 months I've put at least $600 into it (new fork, AB oval ring, 11-42 cassette, OneUp Rad cage, new chain, and a pair of DHFs. New shock as of last fall too). I guess I should buy some new running shoes....
    As long as your hubs will convert to fit whatever rear axle giant is using, there's really no reason you can't move everything over to a new frame. Yes, the bike will sit about a quarter inch lower. And... that's about it. I'm not pro 26" the way DS is, but I did get a 26" frame replaced with a 27.5 frame last year (blur to 5010) and the bike totally rips. I've ridden the same bike with the "correct" wheels and while it wasn't back to back nor on my home trails... I honestly can't really tell much of a difference. Sure, I would probably appreciate the slightly better rollover, but I also have other things in my life that cost money and replacing perfectly good stuff with marginally different stuff just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'll probably eventually make the switch, but for now I'm enjoying it as is.

you ^^ won't tell if 27.5 is faster than 26 unless you can compare it by riding with someone who notices a difference because suddenly they can't keep up the same

If you get the exact same bike you can move stuff over but sometimes 4 years later the manufacturer have quit making your frame so you will get a newer/different spec

my warrantied Gary fisher Y bike needed a different seat post which Gary Fisher figured was my problem

Brodie didnt have any Holeshot frames so they gave us an Evolution (same frame different paint/decal) and everything fit

the devinci had been braced/altered by the mfger (probably to deal with it breaking in the 1st place) and we sold it instead of building it back up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    As long as your hubs will convert to fit whatever rear axle giant is using, there's really no reason you can't move everything over to a new frame. Yes, the bike will sit about a quarter inch lower. And... that's about it. I'm not pro 26" the way DS is, but I did get a 26" frame replaced with a 27.5 frame last year (blur to 5010) and the bike totally rips. I've ridden the same bike with the "correct" wheels and while it wasn't back to back nor on my home trails... I honestly can't really tell much of a difference. Sure, I would probably appreciate the slightly better rollover, but I also have other things in my life that cost money and replacing perfectly good stuff with marginally different stuff just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'll probably eventually make the switch, but for now I'm enjoying it as is.
    Good point. BB height on my frame is 345 mm and the new ones are reportedly 337 mm, so as a 26er it would be ~330 mm. That's low but not crazy low, and I don't hit my pedals on stuff very often. Shock size appears appears unchanged at 200x57. Fork would work with a different upper headset cup to accommodate that stupid OD2 headtube they use now. The rear hub is 135x9 QR and not convertible, but probably due for replacement. Should probably replace the rim while I'm at it, though.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Doublecheck your shock size... my '13 Reign came with 200x51, but you could run a 200x57 to increase rear wheel travel (which I just did). So if you have a 200x51 then it won't work in the new frame. Well it will, but you'll lose travel.

Giant stopped using OD2 and uses a normal headset now so you shouldn't need to do anything there.

As for wheels, I know my stock wheelset (PTR-1 Wheelsystem) used DT Swiss internals and I'm pretty sure you could use the DT endcaps to convert them to 12mm. But I don't know which hubs you have.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Doublecheck your shock size... my '13 Reign came with 200x51, but you could run a 200x57 to increase rear wheel travel (which I just did). So if you have a 200x51 then it won't work in the new frame. Well it will, but you'll lose travel.
    Can confirm. 200x57 works a treat. And if you've not put a coil... do yourself a favor and get one. I just installed this yesterday to replace an old Van-R on my Reign:

Name:  xDBcoil-IL-vert-white-bg-601x400.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  19.6 KB

This fucking thing is SOOO nice. Now if only my fork was as good.

Giant stopped using OD2 and uses a normal headset now so you shouldn't need to do anything there.

As for wheels, I know my stock wheelset (PTR-1 Wheelsystem) used DT Swiss internals and I'm pretty sure you could use the DT endcaps to convert them to 12mm. But I don't know which hubs you have.
    Shit, you're right, it's 200x51, I mis-remembered. I considered going 200x57 last year when shock shopping. I was a little hesitant due to warranty concerns, then found a killer deal on a 200x51 Monarch+ fresh off a factory rebuild.

Rear hub is Deore/M525. CRCs listing for them didn't mention convertability, but a little more digging indicates they are. Kind of academic with the shock issue, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Or a niner... Or an Ellsworth(less)....

Shit, you're right, it's 200x51, I mis-remembered. I considered going 200x57 last year when shock shopping. I was a little hesitant due to warranty concerns, then found a killer deal on a 200x51 Monarch+ fresh off a factory rebuild.
    I guess it depends how much huck to flat you do? I do a lot, so...

I could be wrong, but running a 51mm stroke shock means you'd have ~140mm travel on the new Reign. Not the end of the world.

I bought a 200x57 Monarch Plus in like new condition for $200 off another mag. I bet you could find a similar deal on something, and sell yours, for pretty much a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Can confirm. 200x57 works a treat. And if you've not put a coil... do yourself a favor and get one. I just installed this yesterday to replace an old Van-R on my Reign:

Name:  xDBcoil-IL-vert-white-bg-601x400.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  19.6 KB

This fucking thing is SOOO nice. Now if only my fork was as good.
    I'd love to try a coil, but wouldn't love hauling it uphill.

We got stuck behind some dude with an Elevensix the other day. I feel like if you're rocking a $1200 shock on a bright pink carbon bike you should be riding significantly faster than some beater on an obsolete 26er

<snip>

Meh. The performance of a coil, coupled with not having to fuck with it, is worth it, IMO. Of course, my only comparison on my Reign was the complete piece of shit Fox DHX-4 air that came stock. What a miserable shock that was...

Speculation: CCDB inline coil + Ti 500# 2.25 spring: about a 1-1/4#. That's in the territory of a Fox X2 air can.

We got stuck behind some dude with an Elevensix the other day. I feel like if you're rocking a $1200 shock on a bright pink carbon bike you should be riding significantly faster than some beater on an obsolete 26er
    Heh - you'd have had a field day with me yesterday... like 475 people passed me going up Chimney Gulch. That was NOT the fault of the coil shock, though.

Elvensix - that's dentist territory right there.
    Last edited by skaredshtles; 06-09-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

I don't care what anyone says... that's some funny shit right there.

I guess it depends how much huck to flat you do? I do a lot, so...

I could be wrong, but running a 51mm stroke shock means you'd have ~140mm travel on the new Reign. Not the end of the world.

I bought a 200x57 Monarch Plus in like new condition for $200 off another mag. I bet you could find a similar deal on something, and sell yours, for pretty much a wash.
    Huck to flat--yes. Reducing rear travel not being the end of the world--Correct, but far from ideal. Buy/sell shocks for a wash $-wise--Yes, just a PITA.

Like the man said, a CCDB inline coil with a Ti spring pretty much weighs the same as a piggyback air shock. Adding the Ti spring turns it into an $800 shock though. Screw that, I'm more than happy with the Monarch+.

Hilarious.

Hey Dan I've got a Hope Pro2 EVO rear hub with very low miles, both freehub bodies. You'd still need a boost axle and rotor spacers for it but, $50 if you're interested.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air