Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

We got stuck behind some dude with an Elevensix the other day. I feel like if you're rocking a $1200 shock on a bright pink carbon bike you should be riding significantly faster than some beater on an obsolete 26er
    Ha! I resemble this remark! No Eleven6 or coil even but riding a VERY attention-getting, blinged out bike that's out of my league.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Hey Dan I've got a Hope Pro2 EVO rear hub with very low miles, both freehub bodies. You'd still need a boost axle and rotor spacers for it but, $50 if you're interested.
    Sweet offer, thanks! I'm going to take it into Go Ride early next week when I don't look like I'm fresh out of rhinoplasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip>
    Like the man said, a CCDB inline coil with a Ti spring pretty much weighs the same as a piggyback air shock. Adding the Ti spring turns it into an $800 shock though. Screw that, I'm more than happy with the Monarch+.
    Yeah - this is a fair point... I got the Ti spring and an old Van-R coil back in '11 for about $200.

The Van-R was, shall we say, getting a bit long in the tooth. And it helped greatly that I had access to a very good Cane Creek deal. I originally tried an X-Fusion coil but the piggyback wouldn't clear the frame.

Totally lucked out and giant had a 26" reign frame available. Just happened to be white, and I already had a white fork, stem and bars. Looks pretty sweet. I should go all in and get some white rims. With all the new stuff I've put on it since last fall it's like a brand new bike.

Last edited by Dantheman; 07-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.

White on white AKA as "to Chinasize " but its usually a small japanese car
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Trek just sent me a new frame within 24 hours, once I showed them the original receipt.
    Keep or scan those receipts!

That's awesome Dan, new frame, basically no money out of pocket. This bike's better than the new reign for climbing a lot anyway.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Yeah, the new Reign is basically the old ReignX. My luck continued this weekend, too. My shoes are pretty clapped out, so I started looking around online Saturday evening and BC.com had Pearl Izumi X-Projects in my size for $90! 60% off!

I am in the process of a warranty with Santa Cruz through a local shop. I was riding a 2014 Superlight 29er and I cracked the rear triangle. It was one of SC's lower end frames but it had higher end components (XT drivetrain and Brakes, Fox float for and rear shock). SC discontinued the Superlight a few years back so I was told that they don't have any warranty parts for my frame. After some back and forth with the shop, I was offered 25% off a new build. Does that seem like a fair offer? Also, I have tried to look around but was unable to find just a rear triangle for my frame. Is there anywhere that I might be able to find one so I can sell my old bike and get some money back?

Quote Originally Posted by PaDuKa View Post
    I am in the process of a warranty with Santa Cruz through a local shop. I was riding a 2014 Superlight 29er and I cracked the rear triangle. It was one of SC's lower end frames but it had higher end components (XT drivetrain and Brakes, Fox float for and rear shock). SC discontinued the Superlight a few years back so I was told that they don't have any warranty parts for my frame. After some back and forth with the shop, I was offered 25% off a new build. Does that seem like a fair offer? Also, I have tried to look around but was unable to find just a rear triangle for my frame. Is there anywhere that I might be able to find one so I can sell my old bike and get some money back?
    That sounds like a worthless warranty...

yeah same thing happened to angle parking on his older SC nomad that he bought used, I think it was 2011 so out of warranty and he couldnt find any spare parts

but 2014 doesnt seem that old to me and doesnt SC have a 5 yr warranty ?

25% off a new build would not make me happy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

5 year frame warrant Apparently I can get a discount off of a new tall boy frame, but not the whole thing because I only broke the rear triangle. That really pisses me off because the rest of the frame is still useless

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

That policy is bs and deserves some social media beat downs

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    That policy is bs and deserves some social media beat downs
    That is from the shop. I am hoping that is incorrect and I can at least get a new frame. Hopefully at least some of the components will transfer over.

I broke a 1987 Schwinn High Sierra frame on the Moab slick rock trail in 1989. They replaced it no problem.

I had the pivot clamp area of a 1999 Santa Cruz super light crack on me. They said it had been over torqued and sold me a new swingarm. Total bs. I had the local bike shop install it. A few years later it also cracked. I called Santa Cruz and explained my situation to the warrantee guy. We had a long talk about moto riding, and then he comped me a new swingarm. The new swingarm came with a lot more metal in the bearing clamping area. Like they realized the first version was undersized. That 1999 super light is still going strong as the bike I use when I visit my dad in Sandpoint once a year

That is from the shop. I am hoping that is incorrect and I can at least get a new frame. Hopefully at least some of the components will transfer over.
    You'll probably have better luck going through SC directly. E-mail/call them and ask to speak with Willie. He's their warrantee dude.

At the very least, they ought to be throwing a new alloy frame of your choice. Or since you'll likely need a new rear wheel, maybe other bits, a bigger discount off a complete than 25%.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

5 year frame warrant Apparently I can get a discount off of a new tall boy frame, but not the whole thing because I only broke the rear triangle. That really pisses me off because the rest of the frame is still useless

Huh, what? This sounds fucking stupid to me. Fuck SC.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Friend ovalized his headtube on Gen 1 carbon Bronson (shop he went to didn't think much of installing a 160 fork on it then also putting a CC angleset to further slack it out, I felt like they were were more on the hook there than him). He got 50% off a Gen 2 Bronson CC frame and had to buy a few parts to make it compatible.

It sounds like the shop you're going to is either lazy or doesn't have a great working relationship with SC.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Or an Ellsworth(less)....
    True story: In 2001 had an Aeon Isis 4" travel frame, Aeon was Ellsworth/Ventana project. Broke rear triangle, called them next AM, they had a new rear triangle to me in 4 days, didn't wait to see my triangle nor haggle over JRA vs "not covered by warranty" and I wasn't even JRA, I did it on a drop. Had to send rear triangle back, but as I said, they shipped replacement w/o seeing my busted one.

This was before Tony E started his serious shenanigans of "well we changed the design since yours was built, so technically we don't have a replacement and technically your warranty is not covering this but we can sell you a replacement part for $ __________ (insert 4x what Tony paid for it)."

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to call SC directly today.

Let me know what you find out. Looks like I'm going to need to make the same phone call to SC about a crack in the rear triangle of my TB1.

Seth

So I called SC directly. They offered me a full frame replacement at no cost which would have been the Tall Boy aluminum frame. However, SC was out of those frames and was not going to get any in for a few weeks. I asked if we could work out anything else and I wanted to go a different direction from a Tall Boy anyway. They offered me a HighTower Carbon C for $150 with the FOX Float Performance DPS shock included. I thought that was a solid offer so I took it. I realized I will need to by all new components, but I figured that was still a better deal than 25% off of a complete build. I would have also wanted to change a few components from the offering anyway.

After bypassing the shop, I think SC customer service was solid. Apparently SC directly can only offer a frame, the discount on the full build would have been up to the independent sales rep who would not offer more than 25%.

Now I need to figure out how to find a rear triangle for my Superlight so I can sell it as a complete bike to recoup some funds. Anybody got a line on that?

Awesome. Sounds like a happy ending! Were you the original owner of the frame? Did they ask that question?

Seth

P.S. Pinkbike has an XL superlight rear triangle. Not sure what size yours is/was.
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 07-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Awesome. Sounds like a happy ending! Were you the original owner of the frame? Did they ask that question?

Seth
    I am the original owner. The shop I went to asked the question. I actually bought the bike through competitivecyclist.com back in 2014. I was able to print off my email receipt and that was sufficient.

Gotcha. Good news. See above for a potential rear triangle depending on size of your bike.

Seth