Camp of Champions Shutting Down due to Glacial Melt!

I'm afraid this is going to be the beginning of a lot more sad stories like this.

Camp of Champions is shutting down to glacial melt, apparently in particular the cold winter this year versus a warmer wetter one has facilitated faster melting of the snowpack.

It's really a shame

https://www.facebook.com/thecampofch...54396251302447

The coming years really will be a story of climate change :/

Whistler's main man gets canned and CoC gets canned all within the same 30ish days ... Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    a story of climate change :/
    Fake news?

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Fake news?
    Now a moderator has to move this thread.

I have to believe that in summers following sub-par snow years Mt. Hood will also struggle to get any real season going. That snowfield has looked really thin some recent summers (and I believe they have had to shut down pretty early a few times).
    [quote][//quote]

So it sounds like due to a colder than normal winter, the snow was lighter than usual. So how does colder than normal = due to climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    So it sounds like due to a colder than normal winter, the snow was lighter than usual. So how does colder than normal = due to climate change?
    Just guessing the glacier didn't melt out this one year...

I'm afraid this is going to be the beginning of a lot more sad stories like this.

Camp of Champions is shutting down to glacial melt, apparently in particular the cold winter this year versus a warmer wetter one has facilitated faster melting of the snowpack.

It's really a shame

https://www.facebook.com/thecampofch...54396251302447

The coming years really will be a story of climate change :/

The real news is the operator is getting divorced and losing everything. This winter he was renting out his car park to campers with electrical hook-up on AirB&B for $30 a night. Its kind of like a "Boogie Nights" kind of thing where buddy loses everything and does tricks for any cash he can get to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post

So the issue isn't apparently isn't this winter alone, but receding of the glacierr in general making the faster melt this year a bigger issue... granted I totally suspect there's more drama to this story that I don't care to know

So the issue isn't apparently isn't this winter alone, but receding of the glacierr in general making the faster melt this year a bigger issue... granted I totally suspect there's more drama to this story that I don't care to know
    Read above-divorce-bankruptcy. This has nothing to do with snow.

This smells like BS.

To me.... it's a Vail thing.