S OR/N CA coast personal camping faves

i have some thoughts but looking for ideas. the boy and i are camping with my sis and her boy for 3 days on the way to the bay to hang out for a while, and then we'll camp on the way back to pdx. may do the coasts both ways depending.

any thoughts? definitely going to hang around the redwoods but reservations are getting tight for two weeks out.

gracias!

What are you looking for? Wild or semi townie?

i think everybody is capable of either. we'll probably stay in the same place for three days on the way down.

Cool townie campground in Bandon. Never stayed there but I love Bandon period.

Otter point is not bad. Cape Sebastian is also nice. Disclaimer-> I have not stayed in any of these that I can recall but visited almost every time we roll by. FWIW We are hotel people.

Gonna jump in on this too. I'm moving to Oregon next week and will have a few days before starting a new job in July. GF and I are looking for a 3-4 day roadtrip from Corvallis along the coast to Northern CA (never been to California) with camping, day hikes, maybe some fly fishing, rent MTB bikes. Any suggestions?

Salt Point St Park. In Sonoma County. Very cool rocky shore with beaches, tide pools, big waves. Note that it is abalone season (see thread Shit that annoys you in Padded Room. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...11#post5046811)
    Steep Ravine cabins (no water, electricity--just walls and wooden shelves for bed, so basically cabins) near Stinson Beach in Mt Tamalpais State Park. Probably booked up but worth checking out. Lots of poison oak when we were there many years ago.
    Just about any beach campground in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties.
    We camped near Cape Perpetua in OR--can't remember the exact campground. Great place. The southern coast of Oregon is relatively bland IMO.

What Mark Twain said about summer in SF applies to the North Coast as well. Foggy and cool, except when it's not. Redwood trees live on fog.
    Last edited by old goat; 06-25-2017 at 10:37 PM.

been a long time since i'd been in the redwoods. i can't wait to go back when my knee is ready for some hiking/ultralightish backpacking.

RE hiking in the redwoods, this is probably a minority opinion but I think they're great for day hikes but any place in an old growth redwood forest looks pretty much like any other, so I couldn't see backpacking there. (But then I don't like backpacking below timberline in general--it's just a way to get to the high country) Same applies to hiking the Lost Coast, again probably a minority opinion.

hitting shasta caverns for 2+ days next weekend and emigrant lake outside ashland for 3. i wanted to take the boy to something shakespearean but nothing works time-wise unfortunately.

AttA BoY! those caverns were a childhood fav of mine
    Lake Shasta is as full as it has been since before the 70's drought. hope your lil guy is having fun!
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

jedediah smith campground is my fave
    damnation creek trail to wear kiddo out, and dad too
    avenue of the giant boulders and pilot rock make great play days near ashland