Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Praxis Rx

The lines were worth the carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I also have the Steeple 108s but I'm not sure whether I'll be keeping those next winter. Great ski too.
    Minor thread derail, but can you provide a quick rundown of what you like/don't like about the Steeple? I've been scouring the web and not finding a ton of info on these. Looking to update the touring rig for next season and these are high on the list. Have also thought about skinny Rx or skinny GPO (don't want ~115 underfoot). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    When I picked them up at the factory last christmas, Keith's cousin said "I hope you ski straight!"
    He was just telling you they can ski fast.
    if you like to ski em sideways must detune to underfoot
    if you like to rail edge to edge just smooth tips to rise pt.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Are these one of the least popular Praxis models?

No
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Are these one of the least popular Praxis models?
    A few years ago, Keith mentioned they had a very loyal following but weren't a top seller. This year, he said they moved up in the ranks. Bobby's consistent support should qualify him for a special green-leafed, BBI customized topsheet, so he doesnt have to sticker the shit out of his pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Minor thread derail, but can you provide a quick rundown of what you like/don't like about the Steeple? I've been scouring the web and not finding a ton of info on these. Looking to update the touring rig for next season and these are high on the list. Have also thought about skinny Rx or skinny GPO (don't want ~115 underfoot). Thanks!
    I really don't have enough days on them to judge. I rode them in some of the best cold smoke I have ever found in SE Alaska, but everyone on every ski that day had a blast. They are softer than the Billy Goats and Wrn 98s, but not too soft and very well designed and made. I doubt you'd be disappointed, though I'd guess the same for that whole list. Useless, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane;
    A few years ago, Keith mentioned they had a very loyal following but weren't a top seller. This year, he said they moved up in the ranks. Bobby's consistent support should qualify him for a special green-leafed, BBI customized topsheet, so he doesnt have to sticker the shit out of his pair.
    The 420 BBI Rx would be the chilliest Praxis
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

I skied the 189 steeple 112 for a few days. I really liked it, but it was definitely soft. Although no softer or lighter than a K2 shreditor 112..

It floated better than my 191 Billy Goats, even with the smaller waist. The softer profile was perfect for smooth powder. It turned very quickly in the trees as well, and never got hung up on manky sierra cement. I thought they hooked up on firm better than Billy Goats as well.

Once in chop or crud though, the soft profile worked against you. Like a K2 shreditor ski, they really thrive on finesse and movement, rather than just charging over stuff.

I thought the tradeoff was worth it. It was my second favorite tree ski, and it could still handle 40mph in variable conditions. Anything over that though, and it would fold.

They probably have gotten more popular since 32m, traditional pow skis have become nearly extinct.

They dont make much sense to some people, but this type of ski is my favorite. I cant wait to try these out

Thanks for the Steeple comments fellas. I'll likely end up pulling the trigger on some and loving them, but it doesn't hurt to hear others' experiences. Dschane, any chance you have pictures of yours? I'd love to see the tail profile/height, as the full twin tail is one of my main dislikes on my current touring rig.

They probably have gotten more popular since 32m, traditional pow skis have become nearly extinct.
    We'll ski you next year and show you how an Rx works:-)
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Dschane, any chance you have pictures of yours? I'd love to see the tail profile/height, as the full twin tail is one of my main dislikes on my current touring rig.
    I packed up my life and now the family and I are living out of a 22' trailer in MA, then heading to Iceland, and then returning to Juneau around 1/1/18, so I can't snap photos for 6 months, but post a request in the ON3P thread and someone can accommodate you.

bingo
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Praxis Rx

can they carve... heh

Yhuuuge
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Picking mine up soon, mounted..no turnin back now.

I know I should mount my own f**king skis, but the cost of tools and materials, nvm the peace of mind from a DIN Test..right now is not the time. And not for me to try on such beautiful works of art, Praxis skis. Maybe next year, on a pair of K2s, after I swiss cheese a 2x4 in practice.

I probably wont detune them too much at first, maybe a couple swipes. Ill bring a gummy stone with me, my first few days in November, and detune as needed after runs.

They actually have a significant amount of early rise in the tip, when you decamber them. The length, shape, flex and camber profile together, look fit for a king. They are damn burly, but short (for me). With enough early rise up front, junk in the trunk, and a length I can manhandle, I have no doubt these will be hero skis. Daily Drivers, I hope..

no detune

must detune
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    must detune
    Heavily detune??

Or just a couple swipes in certain spots?

light detune of tails, lil more on tips.
    keith has em crisp the entire length out of shop.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Praxis Rx

I picked them up from the shop 6 months ago, they have been dinging around in storage...and I could still shave with them.

Sometimes I really like sharp edges. Other times not so much. We will see how I like to keep these edges.

Been skiing the 106 RX in NZ. Am I the first?

I bought it specifically for untracked variable, crust and wind funk non-hookiness. I also bought it short (forehead) to reduce the tip-to-boot transmission of leverage coming from any tip hookiness in very unpredictable 3d snow. I got the heaviest core I could.

So far it is performing better than smaller radius, bigger tipped longer more pow specific skis. It passes the low angle breakable crust straight line hooky test pretty good. You dont feel any side cut squirrel, they just run straight.

I'm wondering what a flat or 1mm camber would be like for pure 3d snow use. They have quite a bit of camber.

Last edited by neck beard; 07-06-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Been skiing the 106 RX in NZ. Am I the first?

I bought it specifically for untracked variable, crust and wind funk non-hookiness. I also bought it short (forehead) to reduce the tip-to-boot transmission of leverage coming from any tip hookiness in very unpredictable 3d snow. I got the heaviest core I could.

So far it is performing better than smaller radius, bigger tipped longer more pow specific skis. It passes the low angle breakable crust straight line hooky test pretty good. You dont feel any side cut squirrel, they just run straight.

I'm wondering what a flat or 1mm camber would be like for pre 3d snow use. They have quite a bit of camber.

That's what I was wondering as well. I was thinking both the rx and bc could benefit from less camber. I like 2mm. Minimalist but still a bit of stability over a flat ski. Maybe the rx with a bit of pintail doesn't need any less camber though. How does it pivot? My exp has similar camber, not much rocker, and pintail and does well floating and pivoting. I had a skinny rx on order but ended up changing the order but still thinking I'd like to have one

yo Grinch. How do they pivot?..... probably ok. I have not formed any particular opinion on that yet. I may be wrong, but one test for pivoty character is being able to drop the tails out of a traverse and continue to track the tips in the same side hill trajectory. I'm not talking an established traverse, I mean heading out in undisturbed snow on a steep-ish slope. I'll give them that test next. Billy Goats do that amazing easily. Kind of like a nose butter, but not a butter at all.

oh and I mounted back 1.5, probably could go 2. It is psychological, but looking down at them I just can't imagine being over the dimple. Just not enough tip.
    Last edited by neck beard; 07-06-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Cool. I was thinking for dumping speed or getting them around in tight . More saving my bacon than any kind of steeze(if I had any). They just seem like a good shape for that width. Looks like you've got some good coverage to test them out. Enjoy