Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    So, at least in the case of Specialized Control casing, does the sidewall only last half as long as the tread? Slaughter's tread is still pretty good, but I got a second sidewall hole and I don't think this one is gonna seal up?
    1st was a small tear, but this is more of a crack/split near the side knobs.
    Is there a solution besides buy a new one or use a tube?
    Does Maxxis Exo last longer without as much weight penalty as Grid?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just curious where you are ripping sidewalls around here?

Idk. Blue Mountain moto trails?
    It's nothing more than a nick; or small crack in this last case.
    Maybe I just need lots more Stan's.
    My neighbor said you can fashion a patch by taping a piece of tube in place and Stansing. Does that work? I feel like I'd want something that vulcanizes.

It's the back wheel on a hardtail and I weigh about 200lbs, so idfk.
    No longer stuck.

Exo is basically the same as grid. Ok when they're new but the get flimsy. Maybe double down on the rear, idk. I like my Michelin reinforced casings. Little over 1000g but it is what it is. Seal really nice tubeless other than initial install takes some muscle.Curious if michelins new lighter treads are durable. New tire that's going to be released soon looks good. Not the force, can't think of the name

Specialized Control casings w/Stan's only last me about 6 months before the casing threads start to show. This is in the Midwest, but with high mileage. I believe that Stan's somehow interacts and degrades the casing from the inside. Others online have the same theory.

I'm on Maxxis Icon EXO for the past 9 months, not showing the same degradation. So, something must be different in the compound.

I hear that Orange Seal with Specialized tires is working fine.

Name:  20170622_155916.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  34.7 KB
    Almost looks like a slit or a slice. Bubbles out a little. Tube in there now at 35psi. Sucks.
    How to fix?
    And this photo was taken straight up and down, idk why all my pics get rotated funny when I use the app. Maybe it's the Samsung accelerometer bug.
    No longer stuck.

Maybe creaky is slashing your tires

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does anyone still check spoke tension or is that passe?
    I do on carbon rims. Bought a tensionometer specifically for the purpose.

Once you have a wheel sit over the winter season and literally blow apart half the nipples you pay attention to these things

Weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Name:  20170622_155916.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  34.7 KB
    Almost looks like a slit or a slice. Bubbles out a little. Tube in there now at 35psi. Sucks.
    How to fix?
    And this photo was taken straight up and down, idk why all my pics get rotated funny when I use the app. Maybe it's the Samsung accelerometer bug.
    The sharp, in focus detail really tells the story.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I doubt it
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The sharp, in focus detail really tells the story.
    Yeah, sorry, hard to get in close with camera phone.

Someone said put a regular tube patch in the tire and maybe some Gorilla Tape.
    Whaaaaa?
    No longer stuck.

Tube patch . The big ones. Crazy glue works better. Hardens a bit so the air pressure won't push it through the rip

So, at least in the case of Specialized Control casing, does the sidewall only last half as long as the tread? Slaughter's tread is still pretty good, but I got a second sidewall hole and I don't think this one is gonna seal up?
    1st was a small tear, but this is more of a crack/split near the side knobs.
    Is there a solution besides buy a new one or use a tube?
    Does Maxxis Exo last longer without as much weight penalty as Grid?
    When you choose to mountain bike on actual trails with Control casing tires, your only valid response to flats of any sort is, "oh well, that's what I get for using light tires".
    What's the weight "penalty" you're taking with that tube in there?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Once you have a wheel sit over the winter season and literally blow apart half the nipples you pay attention to these things

A more elaborate description of this anecdote is formally requested. Perhaps a thread of its own?
    Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

I have a tension meter. Sure does help with wheel building. Also helps with checking the wheels a couple weeks after the build. Also helps with fixing shit, used, machine built wheels that end up in your stable.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Maxxis seep like a SOB for me. My bike lives in my truck under a cap, so I think the heat and humidity have something to do with it. I end up with latex balls and tires that smell like dog shit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Maxxis seep like a SOB for me. My bike lives in my truck under a cap, so I think the heat and humidity have something to do with it. I end up with latex balls and tires that smell like dog shit.
    My last tire seeped a lot, but my current tire has not at all. Now I don't recall the differences, but they were both DHR's. The current one is the maxx terra 3c exo.

Hahahaha holy shit!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ^^this. Accurate history too with rim brakes. Radial lace front with radial and 2 cross drive side was another bad idea then. I just use brass nipples now. Pita if they break and you have to change a spoke and resealable the tire and maybe have to remove the cassette or rotor. I see Minnaar experimenting with bladed spokes but he can get them rebuilt every run. I'll probably just go straight gauge but some of the builds here are using butted spokes I see. Maybe I should, I've just chickened out and went straight gauge for the last several builds
    Straight gauge spokes make for heavy build and shitty ride. Less resilient wheel too, you want the compliance that butted spokes provide. Also straight gauge pop nipples more.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Normal ones on bottom, split ones on top.

Name:  nipplepop.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  125.6 KB

An enve AM rim built up with newer style enve nipples. The thing was sitting on a shelf in my garage since last fall. I went to grab it to clean it up and put the set up for sale and noticed a bunch of rattling. Probably 10 of the spokes nipples just popped in half like this. I don't know if it happened with a temp change over the winter or I had knocked the crap out of the wheel the last time I rode it and that's how it dealt with the stress. I doubt the latter though because I've certainly just broken a few of these now and the rims do fail before the nipples. Plus I would have noticed taking the wheel off.

No idea. They were tensioned dead nuts on when I built the wheel though. Confession: I bought the tensionometer long before this happened though. Once I realized I was capable of breaking them I knew I'd be building a few so bought it then.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I love how Maggots think stuckie the normal person and me the sociopath

TGR getting it exactly wrong, once again: diametrically, 180deg opposite kinds of Wrong!

there's no need to sabotage Alexstuckinsidehisonlineidentity's bike, because Alex never rides his bike for more than 10-15 minutes.

pretty sad when your biggest count of "friends" is the people who tolerate your BS on TGR Forums, and in meatspace nobody likes you.

but that's Alex for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I love how Maggots think stuckie the normal person and me the sociopath

TGR getting it exactly wrong, once again: diametrically, 180deg opposite kinds of Wrong!

there's no need to sabotage Alexstuckinsidehisonlineidentity's bike, because Alex never rides his bike for more than 10-15 minutes.

pretty sad when your biggest count of "friends" is the people who tolerate your BS on TGR Forums, and in meatspace nobody likes you.

but that's Alex for ya.
    Give the kid a break CF. I'm sure it'd be fun to raz either one of you on a ride. No matter who's in front

The "kid" is somewhere around 30 years old, not a 7 year old retard who needs validation. He's got a college degree from Cat State, and everything! Plus he pretends he knows skiing & MTBing better than anyone in Missoula, better than anyone anywhere really.

Is that supposed to be "funny"? Like, "meta-buffoonery," or something?

When are you coming back to this part of USA to ride bikes or ski, grinchy?

More importantly, since when did TGR become a Leftist Emasculated Feminist Sanctuary that bends over backward to rescue the ego of a fraudulent fat fuck from Westchester Co NY?

The "kid" is somewhere around 30 years old, not a 7 year old retard who needs validation. He's got a college degree from Cat State, and everything! Plus he pretends he knows skiing & MTBing better than anyone in Missoula, better than anyone anywhere really.

Is that supposed to be "funny"? Like, "meta-buffoonery," or something?

When are you coming back to this part of USA to ride bikes or ski, grinchy?
    No just a feeble attempt at easing the tension. At this point 20something, 30something and some 40 somethings are kids that can piss me off but then I was one of them at one point. At some point I just say fuck it, actual serious shit could happen tomirrow.
    No plans to go stateside. Never ridden stateside. I'm a little scared of the border to be honest

Pissed off? Me? No, not really.

I'm just waiting for KidWoo , a/k/a "kidwoo", and the Jones Bros as well, to delete the defamation they've published here regarding me. Or maybe they just want to be sued and spend 100s of 1000s of USD defending a suit they'll lose?

We should ask KidWoo... I mean, "kidwoo" as well as Jer... I mean "Jer"

As to stuckathuntermtn: probably I'm the only Maggot who has seen his MTB skills and his MTB wrenching first hand, so I can easily compare Real Meatspace stuckathuntermtn to the online hero called stuckathuntermtn.

Bet he goes back to Westchester Co and says "howdy" to his Gefilte Fish Eating Relatives, to show his "Montana cred" 'n' shit.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 06-24-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: no use for a name

Enve rims with aluminium nipples I am assuming which I understand have some probs on Enve carbon rims ??

I'm probably not gona run carbon rims

I don't use a tension guage but i do a quick n dirty spoke check fairly often by giving the wheel a slow rotation while off the ground and I let every spoke hit an allen key while i listen for the tone they give off, the dull tones are loose and it only takes 30 secs per wheel

cuz you hear some guys say "Yeah I got blah blah wheels and they are great cuz I never even had to look at it for 2 years and the spokes never loosened off but those XWZ wheels blew up on me " so how would you know if the blah blah wheels stayed tight if you never check and maybe you blew up the xyz wheels cuz you never check ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

whatever
    Nobodies trying to defame(is that a word?) anyone. I think it's just general killing time shit talk that gets misinterpreted because internetzzz. In person, playing in the mts, the shit disappears.
    As for stickies skillz. Who fkn cares. At this point it's possible to get my ass handed to me on a daily basis. Just an intermediate hack at all of it now so I find it hard to be too critical. Maybe an old local girl on a hardtail and full racks with a baby seat and rusty chain will pass me today

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Enve rims with aluminium nipples I am assuming which I understand have some probs on Enve carbon rims ??
    Enve rims with enve specced spokes and enve brass nipples. Their old ones were aluminum but not these.

The rims are so rigid I just figured being imbalanced would leave them ready to pop. And they cost too much so I figured I'd minimize the likelihood. These don't really get out of round or true, they just explode.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-23-2017 at 08:25 PM.