Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    1 Mil Kapton Tape (Polyimide) - 1" x 36 yds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZFNB2I..._bKeozbNR5D3C5
    Two wraps. Nice and flexible. Doesn't peel up on the edges as much when you change tires. Doesn't leave as much residue when removed. I put an additional 2-3" piece over the valve hole to prevent tearing before I make the hole. Great for irregularly shaped channels (i.e. Spank)
    However many are in a shit ton.

I always have a tube for backup... Tubeless flat on the trail ended up me going for a walk rather than ride once.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Tubeless flat on trail

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Other than being overpriced, what's wrong with the Stans tape? Has worked great for me on a couple different rims.
    Shop didn't have great things to say about it. They said the gorilla tape stuck much better. They liked the roval rim strips the best if the inner is 30mm. No glue just super tight fit. Stretches on

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Why did you drill out the valve hole of a Race Face/Easton ARC rim to use a Stan's valve? That is not at all necessary unless you are using Stan's Shrader tubeless valves for some reason. I suspect that is your problem, provided your tape is wide enough. 1" = 25mm, and your rims are 27mm.

You run High Roller II's, correct? Those things should hold tubeless great...
    I just drilled the inner wall ever so slightly so the bevel of the conical rubber on the valve counter sunk in a touch more. The issue is the tape. Michelin wr2. Michelin ust tires seat and seal extremely well

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Me either. Stopped into the LBS and they had it on the shelf. It is like sticky cellophane. Relatively hard to cut straight and crinkles when it tries to conform to the rim.

I'm honest about the user error. I'll need to get a lesson or just go back to gorilla tape next time.

I should ask the shop on this too. Going to try and do a better gorilla tape job one more time in the meantime

Seth
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1 Mil Kapton Tape (Polyimide) - 1" x 36 yds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZFNB2I..._bKeozbNR5D3C5
    Two wraps. Nice and flexible. Doesn't peel up on the edges as much when you change tires. Doesn't leave as much residue when removed. I put an additional 2-3" piece over the valve hole to prevent tearing before I make the hole. Great for irregularly shaped channels (i.e. Spank)
    That sounds pretty good. The peeling up on the edges thing is what scratches me on the gorilla tape. Curious where you heard of this tape?
    For some reason, the link isn't working

Shit. Got the link to work. They won't ship this product to canada

Scotch film strapping tape 8896

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-S.../dp/B00QVIBIMO

Supposed to be the same as stans.....

Has worked great for me for years.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Gorilla Tape works really well. They make an inch wide version. Put a layer on and overlap a few inches somewhere at least a few inches away from the valve hole. Smooth out with tire lever and enjoy!
    After getting a couple broken spokes replaced, including a nipple so they had to take off the tape, they replaced said tape with Stan's and that shit is not as tight. Especially now that the tire is far from new.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've had reasonably good luck with Orange Seal tape, just a little bit of sealant leakage around the spoke nipples and the new tape from Slime seems to be ok so far but I haven't taken the tire off yet so I have no idea what it looks like but it doesn't leak.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I've had reasonably good luck with Orange Seal tape, just a little bit of sealant leakage around the spoke nipples and the new tape from Slime seems to be ok so far but I haven't taken the tire off yet so I have no idea what it looks like but it doesn't leak.
    I'm too rattled to try anything ,"reasonably good" with leakage around the spoke, at this point I think. I'll keep the slime in mind. I'm in the process of making sure the rim is dry after I scraped the old glue off and windexed it. Taking my time on every step. Still going to try and get that tape DuPont makes from amazon. That sounds perfect. Amazon had a glitch today apparently, I learned from Reuters/twitter, so I'll retry that. Friend just went to the lbs. he's going to pick up those roval rim strips for me. I'll try anything at this point. Roval or gorilla til I can track down some of these suggestions. Thanks and thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Scotch film strapping tape 8896

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-S.../dp/B00QVIBIMO

Supposed to be the same as stans.....

Has worked great for me for years.
    Just cant go there ATM. Lbs owner sells the stans and couldn't recommend it. Not to say it doesn't work, you've got it dialed. I'm looking for ease every time at this point. Thanks though

After getting a couple broken spokes replaced, including a nipple so they had to take off the tape, they replaced said tape with Stan's and that shit is not as tight. Especially now that the tire is far from new.
    Just do another wrap of the Stan's. It's thinner than Gorilla so sometimes needs an extra layer.

I use either, depending on the wheel and what I have handy. Gorilla is cheaper and easier to wrap but it's a little heavier and the glue breaks down over time. Either can get pushed aside if you get too forceful with a tire lever, when that happens I just pull whatever was there and re-wrap.

I used Orange mounting maxxis DHR II on an 819 tubeless rim so i didn't need any tape but I would say the orange stuff works the same as Stan's did

The thing about tubeless IS that every combo of tire/rim/rim tape/slime is a maybe until you try it

if you want a sure thing ... stick with tubes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Update. Put the specialized roval 2bliss rim liner in with the stans valve. Worked like a top. Super ez to install. No glue, just stretch it around the rim. Super tight, light and seems like it'll be durable enough to remove and reinstall repeatedly if need be. Cheap too. $8.50 cad for 2(one pair). Probably a fiver stateside.Says 31mm on them and it was tight side to side on my Easton arc 27 but with the concave of the inner wall it basically just went wall to wall. Air it up with the compressor until I got the dbl pop pop of the tire seating. Went for a ride and it lost zero air. Fuck I wish I knew about these prior. Still early but looks like I may have a good system. Going to order some "huck norris" tire inserts now. Adds more weight but I think it'll prolong the life of my rims as well as tire pinch protect

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Update. Put the specialized roval 2bliss rim liner in with the stans valve. Worked like a top. Super ez to install. No glue, just stretch it around the rim. Super tight, light and seems like it'll be durable enough to remove and reinstall repeatedly if need be.
    Is this what you're talking about?

I need to replace some spokes & nipples on my rear wheel soon so will need to retape. Do you think the 2Bliss strip would work fine with Spank's weird rim profile? See http://spank-ind.com/oozy-trail295-rim.php . These rims were fine with Stan's tape when new but when I re-did the rear last summer it wouldn't stick at all so used Gorilla Tape instead, but if the 2Bliss strips will work they sound less hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post

I need to replace some spokes & nipples on my rear wheel soon so will need to retape. Do you think the 2Bliss strip would work fine with Spank's weird rim profile? See http://spank-ind.com/oozy-trail295-rim.php . These rims were fine with Stan's tape when new but when I re-did the rear last summer it wouldn't stick at all so used Gorilla Tape instead, but if the 2Bliss strips will work they sound less hassle.
    Somebody else just came out with a wheelset that seems similar to that and the huck norris thing. We were looking at it online at the shop, but I forget who it was. Seemed somewhat gimmicky, but it may have some value.

Update. Put the specialized roval 2bliss rim liner in with the stans valve. Worked like a top. Super ez to install. No glue, just stretch it around the rim.
    Not sure if they are still made, but there was a Bontrager version of this sort of thing too. I bought a pair for my old 26" wheels and like your experience, they were SUPER easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Is this what you're talking about?

I'm pretty sure they'll conform to that profile. Like skatedzhitles says below, the same ones stretch on to 26" rims. They don't have a 27.5 or 26" version. Just the one size that stretched on. The only thing that may be of concern is the internal width of those rims. The rim strip lists them at 31mm but because my inner wall of my Easton arcs are concave they fit despite them being 27mm wall to wall inner width. The concave part make it more than 27mm because it's not in a straight line. With the double concave channels in those spanks it should make the wall to wall farther as the rim strip should follow those channels tightly so it should be close to a perfect fit. If not I think they could be trimmed slightly I'd think. They're cheap as so worth a try. I bet you cN make them work

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Not sure if they are still made, but there was a Bontrager version of this sort of thing too. I bought a pair for my old 26" wheels and like your experience, they were SUPER easy.
    I thought they might as well. I generally go to the lbs that has specialized in town but there not open on Sunday and another shop(also good) is open Sunday and they sell trek/bontrager so I was going to try them to see if that was the case . Sounds the same. Mechanic said mine would work on 26" and they've had good success with them and ez use. Every time I've taped I kept thinking there has to be a better way. All this fancy suspension and drivetrains and they can't hAve a tire system that works efficiently? Tires are still the weak link but these strips help bigly

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    .................................... but instead he's apparently a guy with multiple mental health disorders on a daily cocktail of anti-psychotics and anti-schizophrenic Rx. which he attempts to palliate by playing Mr Honch on TGR.
    The irony. Also, if true, you're a real piece of shit for spreading that shit around. Anyone with those kinds of severe mental health issues should get a bye. That's why I *mostly* ignore you.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    ..................................."sure, you poseur fuck, you fat piece of shit. sure."..........................
    Wow, nice guy.

I really hope that at some point it is revealed that Creaky and Stucky are actually the same person.
    LOL! I don't think Creaky and Stuck are the same person though. More like Creaky hit on Stuck (NTTAWWT) and was rebuffed and now he's bitter.

Whoa...sans valve stem? Just to get it seated?
    He means valve CORE.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    btw, a 16oz cartridge only gets a 29x2.2 up to about 15-18psi. Pump is strapped to another bike.
    40 gram "Big-Air" FTW. Lighter than a 16, even a 12 I think, and fills two tires. Use once, leave in pack, use again at a later date. Just be careful about leaving it in a really hot car, ruined my pack once.

I still carry a pump anyway as a fail safe and for other people. Same principle about a tube.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I called my LBS to ask about a plug for the sidewall, and owner guy said that they don't​ really last too long, especially on the sidewall. He suggested just leaving it on it's side so the sealant could do it's thing. I did that and aired it up to 60psi. After leaving it like that basically just overnight, everything seems to have sealed up. The sealant got forced through all the pores in the rubber (again?) and everything is definitely seated. Seems to be working (for now). Tread still has a lot of life left and thing's are a little tight this week, so nice not to have to shell out for new tire.
    No longer stuck.

Going to order some "huck norris" tire inserts now. Adds more weight but I think it'll prolong the life of my rims as well as tire pinch protect
    Just bought a second set of these. Finally back on Amazon for cheaper and quicker shipping than overseas. FWIW, I've only been putting them in rear tires.
    Huck Norris Snakebike and Rim Dent Protective Insert Pair Size Medium for 29" / 27.5... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6VFP78..._wCQozbXX0P8RV
    However many are in a shit ton.

I called my LBS to ask about a plug for the sidewall, and owner guy said that they don't​ really last too long, especially on the sidewall. He suggested just leaving it on it's side so the sealant could do it's thing.
    For sidewall tears/punctures, I use the big-assed tire repair patches from the auto store. Just make sure the inside of the tire is cleaned REALLY well. I've even been able to fix up a tubeless pinch-tear right at the bead with these.

Jim, I'm trying to find some material to cover my walk/ski mechanism on my at ( Lange freetour) boots so they don't get snow packed in when boot packing in a powder couloir.

Do you think this tape ( or a thicker version) would work?

My idea is to cover the mechanism, and actuate the lever thru the tape.

Thanks

Tubeless flat on trail

Just bought a second set of these. Finally back on Amazon for cheaper and quicker shipping than overseas. FWIW, I've only been putting them in rear tires.
    Huck Norris Snakebike and Rim Dent Protective Insert Pair Size Medium for 29" / 27.5... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6VFP78..._wCQozbXX0P8RV
    Shit, looks like I jumped the gun. I just got my dhl tracking from them. That Amazon price is roughly half of what I'm paying. Good to know for the future at that price. Thanks
    Rear only probably makes sense with the tires im running and I've only dinged the rear rim. Easton arc rims seem to ding ez. Was also ez to pull the dings back with vise grips and a couple flat pieces of metal. Was surprised how ez they pulled back without cracking. See how the huck Norris does now.

Ummmm. How do you get a snakebite with tubeless?
    No longer stuck.

Exact same way you get a snake bite with a tubed setup.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Exact same way you get a snake bite with a tubed setup.
    ^^this. I've had better luck with wider rims(Easton arc 35front 27 rear)and 1000g tires(Michelin wr2) but still a few rim dings. Figured I'd throw that huck Norris in to save the rim a bit and possibly the tire as it wears and gets more flexy. After a year no issues other than the dings