Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ^ Yes. You can move more air more quickly without the valve in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    This clown hasn't ever done any "longer backcountry riding," he gets winded at 15 mins on flat pavement running an easy 10mph....

All praise the "heroes" who are in MTB the equivalent of Bunny Hill Bandits in skiing.
    That was actually kind of funny. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I really hope that at some point it is revealed that Creaky and Stucky are actually the same person.

The "squirm" on cornering is how I adjust my tire pressure also. I want enough pressure to eliminate the squirm on hard cornering, but not too much more than that. I could certainly do with a little more testing, however.
    Alter ego? Could be

For me it's more about rim strikes than squirm.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    son, that's not even remotely possible, and not even half-a-smirk sorta-funny.
    Half smirk? No it was a LOL kinda funny.

Sometimes I wonder if I've ever met creaky at a ride or something.

Got a nice puncture in my exo casing rear tire yesterday. Only had one co2 so I didn't mess around trying to get it to seal and just put in a tube. btw, a 16oz cartridge only gets a 29x2.2 up to about 15-18psi. Pump is strapped to another bike.

People have actually met me. I think Harry has actually bet us both. Guess which one he thought seemed like a nice guy and which one he thought was a douche?
    Also, BS. No way that creep has an old girlfriend. Or maybe he means an old woman who bought him some tires once. Jamal, we may have met one Thursday night or another.

Seth, 2.3 Specialized is bigger than 2.3 Maxxis, I think, so the smaller tire will sit squarer on the rim, no?
    Also, I'm on a 29er hardtail. And here's hoping this little sidewall tear actually sealed up. lmao
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I really hope that at some point it is revealed that Creaky and Stucky are actually the same person.
    I've met both of them, and have ridden bikes with both of them.

I got a picture of them:

Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post

as far a mounting, i don't even try with a floor pump anymore, straight to compressor with valve stem removed.
    hats off to the lucky ones that get by with floor pump only.
    !
    I would have to go out to find a compressor so what I do is I take a piece of 3/8th" rope, tie a circle just bigger than the tire casing, put the rope around the outisde of the tire tread and using a screwdriver wind the rope which will tighten the rope on the bead which will spread the beads against the rim and pump with my floor pump ... I have always been able to mount a tubeless tire just using a beto floor pump

I always carry a tube & patch kit just in case
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I guess it's my rim and tire combo, but I've never had an issue using a pump. I have a compressor, but don't bother firing it up any more just to seat the tire. I do have a decent floor pump that I scored on pricepoint before they closed down, so that may help.

^^^ I have been mainly on Stans wheels but had a couple others as well with a variety of tires and don't remember the last time I used a compressor. I always run a small bead of home brew sealant around the tire bead/wheel after the tire is on. I think it provides a little lubrication similar to soapy water and also seals the bead. The first time or 2 with tubeless was a pain but I was trying to setup ghetto tubeless 7 years ago. Now I think installing tubes would be just as difficult as tubeless. I don't know how much performance gain I notice but for me I would not go back to tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    btw, a 16oz cartridge only gets a 29x2.2 up to about 15-18psi.
    That's why I always carry a phatty.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

I got a picture of them:
    Ah ha ha. That made me laugh in a meeting.

btw, a 16oz cartridge only gets a 29x2.2 up to about 15-18psi.
    I am going to stop carrying CO2 now that I am carrying bear spray. I just have to rig a presta adapter...

Anybody want to help with the R&D?

Sometimes I wonder if I've ever met creaky at a ride or something.

Got a nice puncture in my exo casing rear tire yesterday. Only had one co2 so I didn't mess around trying to get it to seal and just put in a tube. btw, a 16oz cartridge only gets a 29x2.2 up to about 15-18psi. Pump is strapped to another bike.
    Damn, a 16oz cartridge is hudge. Don't think I've ever see one that big. And it only put 18 psi in your tire? 😉

20oz cartridge FTW. Keep a couple in the road trip tool box along with a couple small Stan's bottles in case I have to set up a tire, which has come up a couple times over the years.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    20oz cartridge FTW. Keep a couple in the road trip tool box along with a couple small Stan's bottles in case I have to set up a tire, which has come up a couple times over the years.
    Wow! A 20oz cartridge?!

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Wow! A 20oz cartridge?!
    Unlimited oz's

http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-cf...p#.WTgP4evytpg

I got a picture of them:
    Haha!

Wow! A 20oz cartridge?!
    Am I correct in assuming a 20oz co2 cartridge would still fit in a standard water bottle cage, or would it be too big?

Am I correct in assuming a 20oz co2 cartridge would still fit in a standard water bottle cage, or would it be too big?
    It is 20 gram cartridge. not 20 oz

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    It is 20 gram cartridge. not 20 oz
    Ahhh, Got'cha. For a second there I was worried I had missed out on some sort of Maggot prototype co2 group buy!
    Last edited by One (+) Sentence; 06-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Tubeless flat on trail

What are people using for rim strips? I have been using 1" gorilla tape. Double wrap but it's far from perfect. It can move and sealant can screw with the glue then it's all over. I've had it work perfect and never have to touch it. Front tire held air all winter. Put a new rear on and have done the process three times now. Last one I thought I had it. Held over night. Brought my bike out and it was good when in the house, when I came out it was flat. I bought stans valves and drilled the hole in the rim just a touch. I have a perfect fit with the beveled conical stans valve. The problem is the gorilla tape not sticking. Frustrating. Rear rim is 27mm inner Easton arc. I've heard the specialized roval rim strips work good for 30+mm. Maybe trim one of those? Anything else?

I use 2" gorilla tape that I tear lengthwise to whatever width I need for the rim. Works well, but you definitely need to make sure the rim is clean and dry before applying.

I used Whiskey tape last time as recommended by my LBS. I'm going to take the blame that it was user error on this one, but it was NOT easy. Unlike gorilla or duct tape that maintains width as you tear it, Whiskey does not. Took a few tries to get it right as the width of the whiskey tape was much wider (2.5x) than my rims.

Now that it's on it seems solid, though.

I use 2" gorilla tape that I tear lengthwise to whatever width I need for the rim. Works well, but you definitely need to make sure the rim is clean and dry before applying.
    Maybe that was the issue. Last try it was the old valve and shitty seal from the rectangular rubber. Bought the stans valves and thought I was good. Very nice fit. I didn't clean and dry the rim as much. Still thinking there has to be something better. One and done, go riding

I used Whiskey tape last time as recommended by my LBS. I'm going to take the blame that it was user error on this one, but it was NOT easy. Unlike gorilla or duct tape that maintains width as you tear it, Whiskey does not. Took a few tries to get it right as the width of the whiskey tape was much wider (2.5x) than my rims.

Now that it's on it seems solid, though.
    Never heard of "whiskey tape". Sounds delicious. I'll have to google this

Other than being overpriced, what's wrong with the Stans tape? Has worked great for me on a couple different rims.

[QUOTE=grinch;5035849I bought stans valves and drilled the hole in the rim just a touch. I have a perfect fit with the beveled conical stans valve. The problem is the gorilla tape not sticking. Frustrating. Rear rim is 27mm inner Easton arc. [/QUOTE]

Why did you drill out the valve hole of a Race Face/Easton ARC rim to use a Stan's valve? That is not at all necessary unless you are using Stan's Shrader tubeless valves for some reason. I suspect that is your problem, provided your tape is wide enough. 1" = 25mm, and your rims are 27mm.

You run High Roller II's, correct? Those things should hold tubeless great...

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Never heard of "whiskey tape". Sounds delicious. I'll have to google this
    Me either. Stopped into the LBS and they had it on the shelf. It is like sticky cellophane. Relatively hard to cut straight and crinkles when it tries to conform to the rim.

I'm honest about the user error. I'll need to get a lesson or just go back to gorilla tape next time.

Seth