Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Another plug option https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...lesstackle.php They have just a plug kit too but this is pretty useful. Plugs, valves and a valve core tool.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I didn't even think of that, probably because I didn't know that Stan's seals that quickly. I'm just going to chalk this up to a thread I wish I never started.

You don't know until you know!

I've never used soapy water either. Stans and pump.

Did you blow a hole in the sidewall or just burp the tire? A burp and all you need to do is pump her back up and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Another plug option https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...lesstackle.php They have just a plug kit too but this is pretty useful. Plugs, valves and a valve core tool.
    Thanks for the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I've been running tubeless for years now and I've never had to use soapy water ever to mount my tires.
    Not all of us have hulking Arnold-like forearms of steel like you, Arty.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I've been using these for several years now. Those are pretty long so I cut them in half and get twice as many. Cheap and work great. You can get car ones from Autozone or wherever too and cut them into various thicknesses. Gotta be careful they'll still fit through the tool though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    What's up stranger

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    These little things...

Plugs bad, patches good.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Name:  LegendaryThread.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  85.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You keep a spare tire in your pack instead of a tube? And a bottle of Stans? And you reset a tubeless bead in the backcountry with a min-pump? FKNA, You're the man!

In the future though, it may be easier/lighter to carry a spare tube, pull the tubeless core and go old school until you get home where you can redo tubeless.

The only thing I think soapy water does is create some extra resistance to the air escaping around the bead, thus building up more pressure behind the tire, thus allowing the bead to set up. Rim & tire profiles do most of the rest, sealant gets you that final push, but does not attach the bead to the rim. It's more to fix the imperfections in tire/rim tolerances, weepy rubber, vulnerabilities in taping and valve hole.
    Unfortunately this is the reason that I have not gone with a tubeless system in either my MTB or dirtbike. You still need to bring a tube out + patch/plug kit, which is more than just bringing a goddamn tube.

I get the advantage of running tubeless on both setups, but I cant bring myself to spend more money AND bring more gear out into the backcountry. To each his own.

Have DH MTB's come out with a mousse yet?

It's really not that big a deal. I bring a pump. It comes in handy sometimes. If I was going on a longer backcountry ride, I might bring a tube.

I guess it depends how many sharp rocks live near you.

I think a lot of problems with tubeless come from people thinking they can run super low pressures. I still run up around 30. Really.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I run 20-22 lbs most of the time unless were riding our powder run, then I'll bump up to 25-28. But I have no issues at all with tubeless. Never going back to tubes. I do carry a tube and pump and have used it once when I blew a sidewall. I have a little bit of tape with me also for that reason, running tube or tubeless just to limp home.

Any reason you didn't just stay with the original tire?
    Wait, can you just carry a tube and run it that way till you get home? Tubes or lighter than tires and you don't have to worry about the bead. No?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I run 20-22 lbs most of the time unless were riding our powder run, then I'll bump up to 25-28. But I have no issues at all with tubeless. Never going back to tubes. I do carry a tube and pump and have used it once when I blew a sidewall. I have a little bit of tape with me also for that reason, running tube or tubeless just to limp home.
    I switched to tubeless this year. So I'm curious-what's your powder run and why do you have to air up for that?

I was at the bike park yesterday with probably 22 or 23 pounds and when I hit turns fast I noticed some squirm - is that what it's about?

Yes, typically. That's why everybody was surprised by the thread. Normally if the sealant can't steal the hole, you can put a tube in and ride home.

Like many on here, I carry a tube to fix the issue if the hole or tear is to big for sealant, but in 3-4 years of running tubeless I've never had to use that tube. Typically my issues with tubeless start and end at the house when I check pressure before I ride. If I notice that I'm frequently having to add pressure I add more sealant which usually solves the issue without having to pull the tire.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Yes, typically. That's why everybody was surprised by the thread. Normally if the sealant can't steal the hole, you can put a tube in and ride home.

Like many on here, I carry a tube to fix the issue if the hole or tear is to big for sealant, but in 3-4 years of running tubeless I've never had to use that tube. Typically my issues with tubeless start and end at the house when I check pressure before I ride. If I notice that I'm frequently having to add pressure I add more sealant which usually solves the issue without having to pull the tire.

Seth
    That's it for me too. In one of my saddle bags I carry a chunk of sticky rubber thing that's supposed to cover a bigger hole than the sealant can seal, but I've never used it. A friend got a huge tear and rammed a Balsam Arrowleaf leaf in there and it worked. A dollar bill works as well. I may take a look at those plugs, and if small enough may ram one in the saddle bag.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have sub-20mm rims, so low psi isn't an option. Even if I had wider rims there's no way a 200lb person on a hardtail is going below 25. Going with a thicker casing, and therefore heavier tire, would gain me nothing since I'm riding the kind of trails a hardtail is good on.
    Then I go to a bike shop and sometimes all they have is the heavier version of tires because "people are tearing the sidewall". Yeah, fuck off. Put more than 12psi in, spandex squid.
    No longer stuck.

Sounds like I'm about the same size as stucky. I run about 25 psi front and rear. I have new (to me) tires generously donated by Toast and an just in the process of dialing in the pressure. Minion DHF up front and an Aggressor in the back. I notice both the increased traction - especially cornering - as well as the increased rolling resistance.

I also have sub-20mm (internal) rims.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by bbergey View Post
    I switched to tubeless this year. So I'm curious-what's your powder run and why do you have to air up for that?

I was at the bike park yesterday with probably 22 or 23 pounds and when I hit turns fast I noticed some squirm - is that what it's about?
    Air up, so it rolls better and yes, not as squirrelly at speed. Air down for traction. Where we ride mostly is techy short steep ups on granite slabs, knife edge stuff, and rock ups we've placed...plus it rains a lot. Traction is super important to me. Of course now we're adding some flowier higher speed stuff in this area...so now I'm fucked.

Even if I had wider rims there's no way a 200lb person on a hardtail is going below 25d.
    And this...it really depends on your weight too. I'm down like 5lbs ty to 170 plus pack with water. 20-22lbs is the lowest I'll run.

Stiffer sidewalls, I guess. Riding Butcher/Slaughter. Gets squirmy down there. This is of course assuming my pressure gauge is at all accurate.
    No longer stuck.

It's really not that big a deal. I bring a pump. It comes in handy sometimes. If I was going on a longer backcountry ride, I might bring a tube.

I guess it depends how many sharp rocks live near you.

I think a lot of problems with tubeless come from people thinking they can run super low pressures. I still run up around 30. Really.
    This clown hasn't ever done any "longer backcountry riding," he gets winded at 15 mins on flat pavement running an easy 10mph.

Go on and think he knows what he talks of, though. That's what TGR is for, eh? Pretense, high pretense, ultimate pretense!

Stiffer sidewalls, I guess. Riding Butcher/Slaughter. Gets squirmy down there. This is of course assuming my pressure gauge is at all accurate.
    It's easier to simply read kidwoo's posts, because that's what stuckie memorizes and regurgitates for things like the above.

He doesn't know them from experience.

All praise the "heroes" who are in MTB the equivalent of Bunny Hill Bandits in skiing.

I really hope that at some point it is revealed that Creaky and Stucky are actually the same person.

The "squirm" on cornering is how I adjust my tire pressure also. I want enough pressure to eliminate the squirm on hard cornering, but not too much more than that. I could certainly do with a little more testing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I really hope that at some point it is revealed that Creaky and Stucky are actually the same person.
    son, that's not even remotely possible, and not even half-a-smirk sorta-funny. he literally is a fat loaf who talks a massive game while possessing no skills. it's pathetic, really -- because he's not humble at all on line, whereas in meatspace he's a sniveling whiny fuck.

if he was retarded, or 6 years old, I'd cut him a metric tonne of slack and wouldn't ever insult him. but instead he's apparently a guy with multiple mental health disorders on a daily cocktail of anti-psychotics and anti-schizophrenic Rx. which he attempts to palliate by playing Mr Honch on TGR.

when I met him to give him a seatpost for the mild cost of 6 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I learned he was this clown I'd met on a group ride around 2013-ish, who had a TGR sticker on his top tube of his beater, and I asked him which asshole he was in Maggotland. the coward said, "I don't post on TGR" while quivering in fear. I responded, "sure, you poseur fuck, you fat piece of shit. sure."

I didn't mention that when he came by to get the seatpost, and I didn't even mention it when I agreed to go on a MTB ride with him, which is where I learned his mechanical ineptitude was surpassed only by his MTB skills deficiency and general fitness absence.

I'd find it funny if the guy who picked up the seatpost, went on a ride with me later, and was on that group ride about 5 years back was NOT "stuckathuntermtn" but instead it was all a complex practical joke played on me.

but it wasn't.

I do have an old GF who knows you, though. she lives in Boise now.

good thread.
    i've been tubeless about 8-9 years or so, love it.
    but i still get occasional flat with it (WAY less than with tubes). once in awhile i get a tear right by the bead, stans never works then. i do long solo backcountry rides sometimes so i take a tube, plugs(just got them, never used yet) and a small tube of superglue (used that once to seal up a hole).

as far a mounting, i don't even try with a floor pump anymore, straight to compressor with valve stem removed.
    hats off to the lucky ones that get by with floor pump only.

tubeless and seat dropper, 2 awesome advancements!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    son, that's not even remotely possible, and not even half-a-smirk sorta-funny.
    Come on. You have to admit that it'd actually be really funny. Two internet guys who loathe each other and write all kinds of crap about each other... Then finding out they were the same... Okay, I'll give you that one. Not really THAT funny. But still kinda funny. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I do have an old GF who knows you, though. she lives in Boise now.
    Who's the GF? Have you and I ever met?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post
    as far a mounting, i don't even try with a floor pump anymore, straight to compressor with valve stem removed.
    Whoa...sans valve stem? Just to get it seated?

Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post
    tubeless and seat dropper, 2 awesome advancements!
    Agreed. I would not go back in either case.