Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victoria, B.C. Trail and Bike shop Reccs?

Gonna be in Victoria B.C. for a few days in August. Looking to get out and ride and looking for trail reccs as the sheer volume of trails on Trailforks was heinously overwhelming.

Also, I'm traveling with family for a wedding, so won't have a bike with me. So I'm also looking for a bike shop recommendation where I can rent a decent bike for a decent price.

I'm mostly an XC rider but fairly capable on technical terrain. Probably won't have time for any epics, but 12-15 mile recommendations would be awesome.

I can't help with bike shop or rental but Heartland dump was always the best riding spot around. If you're able to do any driving there are some other good networks within an hour or so.

If you want something to do with the family a drive out toward Port Renfrew could be worthwhile, check out some beaches and big trees. There used to be a good fish n chip place near Jordan River.

It's been a few years since I lived in Victoria, but this was the best bike shop around Broad Street Cycles. Not sure if they have a rental fleet, although they could certainly point you in the right direction.

And since your in the area, you might as well get a tat at one of my all time favourite shops, Government Street Tattoo.

Awesome thanks!

I did a bit more digging and Hartland dump definetly seemed to pop up as the place to go. Thanks for the info on Port Renfroe. Beaches are good.

Also, is Victoria worth renting a car in?

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Also, is Victoria worth renting a car in?
    If you are just going to stay in Victoria, I would say no. It's a pretty small city with a decent bus system and plenty of bike paths (see: The Galloping Goose). Nevertheless, there is a whole lot of fun things to do on the island outside of Victoria (i.e. China Beach, French Beach, Port Renfrew, West Coast Trail, Avatar Grove, Cathedral Grove, Tofino, the plethora of coastal islands... I could keep going), so a car might be worth it.

As for beaches, keep in mind that anything on the west side of the island is going to have cold water. Your best bet is to visit the ones on the east side (i.e. Parksville and - one of my personal favourites - Tribune Bay Beach, which is on Hornby Island).

Have fun!

http://oakbaybikes.com/

Check out Oak Bay, I don't know if they rent or not. A few years ago a buddy was involved with opening of the Westshore location.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    http://oakbaybikes.com/

Check out Oak Bay, I don't know if they rent or not. A few years ago a buddy was involved with opening of the Westshore location.
    They do rentals.

Renting from them and going for a rip at Hartland or partridge hills is your best bet since it sounds like he doesn't have time for a bigger /further ride? And great riding at those places. Going further to harbourview, tzouhalem, maple mountain would also be awesome, those are all roughly hour drive from DT Victoria but harbourview is in Sooke on the way out to all the rad beaches towards Renfrew so could combine there. And I would rent a car for sure, all of the suggestions listed require it.

try nsmb.com
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sweet! Thanks for all the suggestions.

And yes, you are totally right that my time will be limited. Car rental is definitely going to happen.

And more touristy, family question, if you were looking to stay someplace near the shore out near 14 for a few days would you stay in Sooke or Port Renfrew?

I probably wouldn't try and stay too far west of Sooke. The typical trend as you go west is sunny in Victoria, partly sunny in Sooke, cloudy/misty in Jordan River and raining hard in Port Renfrew. Maybe you get lucky in Port Renfrew but I wouldn't want to commit ahead of time to multiple days there.

There used to be some cool beach cabins just west of Sooke, and probably a lot more new homes these days. I'm sure some of them are on airbnb.

If you're looking to experience some hiking on a coastal trail the East Sooke Park is a gorgeous day hike that gives you a little taste of what the more famous multi-day hikes (West Coast Trail / Nootka Trail etc) provide. You can go end to end if you have the ability to shuttle otherwise do an out and back from either end. A great day hike that anyone can do. Can't recommend it enough for a family day or a wicked trail run.

https://www.victoriatrails.com/trail...-beechey-head/

Bump - going to be there next weekend for 3 days and have bikes reserved for one.

Any more detailed recs for a loop at Hartland? The sheer quantity and interconnected junkshow of trails there on TrailForks makes it tough to pick out a ride. I can ride most anything short of yuge mandatory gaps and such and am more of an endurobro than an XC guy, but will be with my GF who is more of an intermediate. Harder trails are fine if there are ridearounds. Torpedo Run looks like a must do, what else?

It’s been awhile but Duncan/Mt tzouelem(spelling?) isn’t a long drive up the highway and is really good

At Hartland there's a lot... It's been a year since I've ridden there (but I grew up close by riding there tons) but a lap up the main route then up switchbacks then make your way through twister or jelly roll/lumpy pants then down who's yer daddy to skull. Or up the middle of the park to snakes and ladders (can do torpedo first) to rock bottom or little face to ruffles... Then make your way back on shock treatment or add trails at the south end. Loops involving south ridge and fun trail are good too.

You're right that there's a ton of trails and it's hard to pick out a ride. Torpedo and sofa king are the built up flowy ones, parts of who's yer daddy as well. Everything else is rocky and technical for the most part, lots can be ridden both ways, so you can link up single track for a lot of climbing or just use the roads. Some of the double black trails have some pretty steep rock gnarly moves. It's pretty fun there you can't go too wrong even if you just zig zag around whatever you find haha. You could look at ride logs on trailforks for ideas too.

And yeah driving up to Duncan (maple mtn or tzouhalem) or out to Sooke (harbourview) are good too.

Bumping this thread as the fiance and I are spending the month at an airbnb in Gordon Head area of Victoria. We'll have mountain bikes, paddleboards, surfboards. The dump seems to be the local ride we'll hit after work most days, but what else should we be looking at within the 1ish hour range of Victoria?

In town, the main spots are the Dump and Jordie Lunn bike park. The Jordie Lunn trails are awesome. Quick, short laps.

Farther out of town, some spots I've enjoyed are Burnt Bridge at Shawnigan Lake (Pandemic is awesome, and there are other good trails), Harbourview in Sooke (rock and nice views, gets loose when dry) and Prevost (DH tracks).

If you're there for a while, you might as well take some trips up-Island and check out Nanaimo and Cumberland, and maybe Hornby Island.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    In town, the main spots are the Dump and Jordie Lunn bike park. The Jordie Lunn trails are awesome. Quick, short laps.

Farther out of town, some spots I've enjoyed are Burnt Bridge at Shawnigan Lake (Pandemic is awesome, and there are other good trails), Harbourview in Sooke (rock and nice views, gets loose when dry) and Prevost (DH tracks).

If you're there for a while, you might as well take some trips up-Island and check out Nanaimo and Cumberland, and maybe Hornby Island.
    We've got 2 weekends booked in Tofino already. Plan to spend the first weekend in Victoria exploring the city and local stuff (arrive on a Wednesday), and our last weekend we'll be around I'd like to get up to a different riding destination but we'll see. Would Cumberland be the first choice?

Tofino road currently closed following a fire. I'd keep an eye on status depending when your trip is. Traffic could be a nightmare on weekends if it's only open one lane with traffic control.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-cancellations

Cumberland has the best riding further north IMO, but I've only rarely ridden stuff in Nanaimo and Campbell River. Any of it can be impacted by logging at different times also.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Tofino road currently closed following a fire. I'd keep an eye on status depending when your trip is. Traffic could be a nightmare on weekends if it's only open one lane with traffic control.

Cumberland has the best riding further north IMO, but I've only rarely ridden stuff in Nanaimo and Campbell River. Any of it can be impacted by logging at different times also.
    Yep, we've got our eyes on it. Looks like it'll reopen partially this weekend. First planned trip that way still about a month away.

If tofino road is closed you can surf at sombrio in the summer if the bouy at the mouth of the straight hits 5 foot+. Any day that is forecasted for 3foot plus worth looking at the bouy when you wake up. Can hit 5 foot easily. Way better waves than tofino as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

The laps on South Benson in Nanaimo are great. For a weekend trip, Cumberland is worthwhile, though, just for overall experience.

Heading up to Cumberland for the next couple nights before we have a saturday PM ferry to the mainland. There don't seem to be many good spots in the vicinity to van camp, anyone have something they wouldn't mind DMing me?

What are the must hit trails up there? So many on trailforks it's overwhelming!

Not a local (and not sure what you're looking for skills wise) but I would go with something like this if I was riding with my regular crew. I've also never ridden Forbidden Plateau so maybe there is some amazing stuff over there.
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/202...e-city-enduro/

Victoria, B.C. Trail and Bike shop Reccs?

Jtran- what type of trails are you looking to ride

How many days of riding and for how long each ride

I live far away but I’ve rode/raced on that network 50+ days at least - I know it better than my home trails.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Not a local (and not sure what you're looking for skills wise) but I would go with something like this if I was riding with my regular crew. I've also never ridden Forbidden Plateau so maybe there is some amazing stuff over there.
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/202...e-city-enduro/
    That route covers a lot of good stuff. The notable omission among trails I like is upper/lower Thirsty Beaver. A route that includes those without doubling up what's on the enduro route is something like up The Pig/climbing trail/roads, down Race Rocks, Felicia, Potluck, Thirsty Beaver, Off Broadway, Short n curly, Shaker, Spanker then either Missing Link/Found link or Kitty Litter and Space Nugget.

Last summer there were signs about Thirsty Beaver and other trails getting logged. I don't see any comments on TF but it would be worth checking in at one of the bike shops to ask about conditions. They could tell you what's running well at Forbidden as well. I haven't ridden there near as much but recall some janky old wood work and more overgrown trails, so you'd want some reccos there. Access seemed more affected by logging so maybe that reduced traffic and maintenance.

Bike shop could probably suggest camping options too. There is Cumberland campground on Comox Lake but it might be busy now that it's summer. There are a million logging roads you can go up, just need to find ones that aren't gated (plenty of private timberland in the area) and preferably not with active log hauling going on. There are rec sites up near Campbell River around Campbell Lake but that's probably an hour each way. Maybe there are spots up Forbidden Plateau Rd or by Mt Washington.