Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm going to be looking into installing panels and battery storage at the place I just bought. With my southerly exposure, I should be well positioned for it. It seems like a much better option than a generator for situations where you may be without power for an extended period.

I love the idea of having a place that is on the grid, but can function independent of it for extended periods of time.
    Plenty of reputable folks around here to choose from.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    10kw on a home is huge.

I have 25kw and 125kw on commercial flat roofs.

Looking at five year paying the loan. And free money after that.
    My down payment came back instantly as a federal tax credit.

The larger one did 23MWh last month.
    I have a 98 kW and a 104 kW for work, it's amazing what they produce.
    We don't have any battery storage on site, yet. I have another roof at the office we can cover with probably 35-50 additional kW and put on batteries. As we electrify our fleet, it'll be nice to be able to offset that.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I have a 98 kW and a 104 kW for work, it's amazing what they produce.
    We don't have any battery storage on site, yet. I have another roof at the office we can cover with probably 35-50 additional kW and put on batteries. As we electrify our fleet, it'll be nice to be able to offset that.
    Good idea considering our grid can't even keep up with energy use during a heat wave.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/16/10073...blems-in-texas

Im confused how we are going to charge millions of EV's in the future.

That’s THEIR grid, not ours. Texas is not hooked to the national grid.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

pulled the trigger yesterday on an 8k system which should give us just over 100% coverage. electricity is fairly cheap in Utah (.08 - .10/kwh) but if nothing else this seems like a pretty good way to avoid price increases from Rocky Mountain Power. The net metering isn't great here, they only pay around .05 for what you pump back into the grid but it sounds like that may be changing in the future.

At least you have net metering. So many places don't. I kinda use the grid as our battery system (with a generator as backup) since the prices per kwh are the same in/out, although the transmission costs are a separate line item and we don't get that back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...ion-amid%3famp

It’s not just Texas. You’re not that guy,pal.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    pulled the trigger yesterday on an 8k system which should give us just over 100% coverage. electricity is fairly cheap in Utah (.08 - .10/kwh) but if nothing else this seems like a pretty good way to avoid price increases from Rocky Mountain Power. The net metering isn't great here, they only pay around .05 for what you pump back into the grid but it sounds like that may be changing in the future.
    I’d be shocked if they pay more in the future as they fought like hell to get it down to .05, solar system owners pre 2016 got grandfathered in at .08 and rmp said that would put them out of business. Which is total BS. If you have solar on your roof I highly recommend an EV. Especially living in the salt lake, it’s the best way to reduce your carbon/air pollution foot print.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Solar power - WTF?

Double post from 2 year old
    Last edited by neufox47; 06-19-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Good idea considering our grid can't even keep up with energy use during a heat wave.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/16/10073...blems-in-texas

Im confused how we are going to charge millions of EV's in the future.
    Installing roof top solar, batteries and having vehicles like the Ford lightning that can feed the grid, and net metering that incentivizes grid feeding at certain times, are powerful solutions to our grid issues and the issues of increased demand through electric vehicles. These last few days in California the grid demand is the worst at 5-9pm. Even coming home on half a charge, the lightning battery could then provide the rest of your evening’s electricity then begin charging at 11pm when demand drops and wake up to a full charge, or even better wait until the panels are producing and charge from there. Obviously that creates a problem if you are going to drive to work the next morning, then you really need access to a charging station while at work.

If my system was already in place I would have been using mostly battery energy from 4-9pm last night, exhausting the 18kwh storage, and starting to charge it again about now. Currently the California net metering system rewards this but the system really needs to change to provide less incentive to only have solar but more incentive to have battery power + solar.

Honest question: what's the estimated number of cycles lifetime on the home and car batteries? And how is that affected by above scenarios with both partial and complete charging? I really want it to work. Concerned about the environmental AND humanitarian affects of all that lithium and other parts of the manufacturing supply chain.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Phish lyrics? Nobody? Jeesh. Tough crowd.
    Drained doesn’t rhyme with towed. 3/10.

Honest question: what's the estimated number of cycles lifetime on the home and car batteries? And how is that affected by above scenarios with both partial and complete charging? I really want it to work. Concerned about the environmental AND humanitarian affects of all that lithium and other parts of the manufacturing supply chain.
    ^^^

Not sure about cycles in a lifetime. And your concerns are most definitely legit. The mining practices for these batteries are horrible. But we either need to totally technologically digress as a society or find ways for modern society to continue without carbon emissions. If we don’t this planet is totally fucked for current human and animal populations in 50-100 years, maybe less. Roof top solar in conjunction with an EV is a great way to impact this. But we’re going to need a lot more than that to save the status quo.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Well if those aluminum ion batteries from Oz pan out (and it sounds good, by all reports) the battery issues will be mostly handled. No rare-earth components, almost unlimited cycles, super quick charge/discharge, etc. etc.

Boy, I hope that new battery tech pans out... that's what we've been needing for awhile, now.

Most of the lithium ion batteries are warrantied for 2500-3000 complete cycles, or about 7-10 years. When exhausted up to 95% of the rare earth materials can be recycled.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/bat...ica-and-europe

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Nah, we have aluminum ion batteries, we don't need no Rare Earth but we still gonna have a...

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Nah, we have aluminum ion batteries, we don't need no Rare Earth but we still gonna have a...

Not yet we don't.
    Hopefully, when we do, we can run up that tower ...

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Most of the lithium ion batteries are warrantied for 2500-3000 complete cycles, or about 7-10 years. When exhausted up to 95% of the rare earth materials can be recycled.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/bat...ica-and-europe
    Maybe.

But cell phones, things of research on batteries, and still they don't last minute than a year

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

https://www.newsweek.com/california-...utines-1602755

You're not that guy pal, you're not that guy.

Solar energy is very unstable.

M jongs are more unstable

Solar power is energy from the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical energy. Solar energy is the cleanest and most abundant renewable energy source available, and the U.S. has some of the richest solar resources in the world. You can likewise visit for further information about solar panels.

Quote Originally Posted by m18c3e View Post
    Solar power is energy from the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical energy. Solar energy is the cleanest and most abundant renewable energy source available, and the U.S. has some of the richest solar resources in the world. You can likewise visit for further information about solar panels.

Ummm wat?