Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I like my Yakima Holdup.
    I'm not sure if they are lighter now, but I find mine to be a PITA mostly because it so freaking heavy. Thule and Kuat aren't as bad. If you want cheap and are in Seattle hit me up, I'll sell the Yakima and get a 1up.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

My impression was kuats where much heavier than my Thule. The Thule works just fine for me

+1 for a light rack, esp if you like to take it off a lot.

I keep a cordless drill with socket in my trunk and take my rack on/off for every use (a couple times a week in sprint/summer). As such I value a light weight platform. I'm using a Saris Freedom 4 (53 lbs) and a super cheap Bell Right Up 350 (which I love; less than 30 lbs) which I can whip on or off the car in about 1 minute. They're pretty basic, but they work well enough.

Thinking about getting a Rockymounts splitrail or monorail. Anyone have any positive/negative experience with either that would sway one way or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Thinking about getting a Rockymounts splitrail or monorail. Anyone have any positive/negative experience with either that would sway one way or the other?
    I had a splitrail. It was fine; not decidedly better than other options I've used, but not worse either. The anti-wobble device at the hitch is the weak point; it's kind of a bolt on wedge. If you're leaving the rack on the vehicle all the time, it's probably ok. But if you're taking the rack on and off and switching between vehicles, the wedge thing is a hassle.

Used t2 on craigslist. Mine will not die. And everyone is replacing them with a 1up or north shore.

I have an old 4 bike T2 I haven't used in a few years. I also have an old Saris Thelma that needs to go. They've just been sitting out in the driveway not doing anyone any good so anybody that wants them can come get them, some good beers or a few nuggets and they're yours.

Anyone seen or used a Saris MTR? Like the modular part of it and seems like a great rack but just came out so tough to pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have an old 4 bike T2 I haven't used in a few years. I also have an old Saris Thelma that needs to go. They've just been sitting out in the driveway not doing anyone any good so anybody that wants them can come get them, some good beers or a few nuggets and they're yours.
    I'd take the T2 in a heartbeat if I was anywhere near you. Anyone in CO have one they're looking to get rid of for cheap? I have a Kuat for my car but need one for my wife's so that we don't have to switch cars every time she wants to go for a ride.

I just got the Rocky Mounts West Slope 2 - new model this season - and it's pretty great. Super simple, staggered platform levels so bikes don't touch each other at all, and only 36 pounds. I like the way it looks too.

Oh yah and it's on the cheaper side of their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman922 View Post
    Anyone seen or used a Saris MTR? Like the modular part of it and seems like a great rack but just came out so tough to pull the trigger
    Supposed to have a 4-place on the way shortly. Will report. Hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman922 View Post
    It's the same tech as a 1UP and more expensive.

I get my ww boats on my 4R racks with a NortShore rack on the back. You could use the vertical extenders if you needed the racks a bit higher.
    watch out for snakes

Hi! I still haven't decided on which of these bike rack/hitch that I can use for my F-150. I'm planning to buy one after installing my toyo all terrain tires on my truck. Would like to get your feedback on these:
    Yakima Holdup Evo or Thule Insta-Gater Pro truck bed bike rack.

#eatadick

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

haha

Hollywood rack has been great over the last 5-7 years. Very durable and options are plenty for modifications

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravz5 View Post
    Hi! I still haven't decided on which of these bike rack/hitch that I can use.
    Yer mum’s rack worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yer mum’s rack worked great for me.

I actually though hers felt like I was sticking a 1 1/4” hitch into a 2” receiver.

However many are in a shit ton.

I have a four-place Kuat rack. It is a pig and was fairly expensive. I take it on and off wife's car and its a pain. If I had it to do over again, I would pick something lighter.

Anyone have any insight into the Saris racks?
    Need a hitch mounted 4 bike rack that will
    1) fit MTB, road and kids bikes
    2) be able to clear a rear mount spare tire and
    3) ideally allow for trunk access on a right hinge rear door

LBS is pushing the Saris Superclamp or Freedom. I assume those would work with an extension to clear the tire, not sure if they would drop out of place enough to allow door opening?
    Are there any hinged extensions that might work?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Anyone have any insight into the Saris racks?
    Need a hitch mounted 4 bike rack that will
    1) fit MTB, road and kids bikes
    2) be able to clear a rear mount spare tire and
    3) ideally allow for trunk access on a right hinge rear door

LBS is pushing the Saris Superclamp or Freedom. I assume those would work with an extension to clear the tire, not sure if they would drop out of place enough to allow door opening?
    Are there any hinged extensions that might work?
    Saris just declared bankruptcy, I'd steer clear for now not knowing how well supported they may be in the future.

1Up or QuikrStuff are the premium picks. Kuat, Rockymounts are also both very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Saris just declared bankruptcy, I'd steer clear for now not knowing how well supported they may be in the future.

1Up or QuikrStuff are the premium picks. Kuat, Rockymounts are also both very good.
    Ahhh I had not seen that (but was wondering why the H3 trainer was so cheap now)
    Will take a look, thanks

The term value is a interesting. Imo the value over the long haul is 1up. All the parts bolt on and are replaceable. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and it never comes off the car. Got the fat bike width. I built a little step cover for my older dog to use getting in and out of the truck, but it also works great as a seat. I haven’t had to replace one thing yet, but when I do it will be easy. I don't see this rack ever failing or just dieing like obsolete plastic crap from the others. That's value.

Yeah, my 1up is 11 years old and has only had the receiver bar replaced because the ball seized (getting it off the car involved a tree, a couple straps, a down-sloping driveway, some chocks, a dead blow hammer, and a little prayer). Mine has been sitting outside, unused for the past three years next to a tray rack. The tray rack is swiss cheese, but the 1up just needed a quick spray down and was good as new.

Having said that, if you're regularly carrying 4+ bikes (and spend much time on rough roads), I'd seriously consider an upright.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.