RIP Gregg Allman

One of the greatest R&R and blues singers of all time.

Southern Rock done right.
    One of the best, RIP
    crab in my shoe mouth

Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing........

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=311874

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Was fortunate to have caught him at one of his last appearances at the Beacon. Just such a huge talent and huge loss. He certainly made the world a better place.

Funk Noooo! One of my favorites.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Great tribute to a brother from Dave Schools, FB post on the Panic page.

Some immediate words on the passing of a legend….

I knew who Gregg Allman was decades before I ever met him. In my experience Gregg was one of the first superstars of Rock and Roll: I first heard about him because he was marrying Cher and I couldn’t have been more than 8 or 9 years old when he became front page news because of this union of celebrities.

And I mention Gregg and Cher’s nuptials not to lessen the impact his music and the impact he himself would eventually have on me but to illustrate the fact that Gregg was one of an elite group that included Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, and David Bowie: they were actual newsmakers. Newsworthy enough to have left an impression on a young boy from Virginia whose best friend was already that Rock and Roll sound despite being a full 8 or nine years out from buying my first Allman Brothers LP (Fillmore East of course).

Of course I heard Midnight Rider and One Way Out on the local radio but it wasn’t until I received a well loved copy of the Fillmore East live record that my ground was literally shaken. The album was in constant rotation as I played my little beginner’s Hondo P-bass copy and tried to keep up with that fierce locomotive of a rhythm section. And yes, the band sure could hit that note.

But it was Gregg’s voice that really got me. It carried the burden of all human experience: pain, sadness, joy, world weariness and love. It seemed like a mismatch that this pseudo-elfin wisp of a blonde man could put forth such a powerful sound fraught with the weight of the world and do it night after night. I can’t imagine the burden he bore in order to sing with such intent.

And years later, when I wound up meeting Gregg in person I was surprised at how cowed I was despite his naturally disarming personality. To my core I was shaken by being in the presence of his greatness…he was so much more than an elder statesman and fellow musician. His effect on me took some time to get over.

Bits and pieces of the “Gregg effect” lingered in me when I was lucky enough to sit in with ABB. All it took was the first line of Dreams to rattle me off of that repetitive goose egg of a bass line and elicit looks of amusement and “gotcha” from Derek or Butch. And Jaimoe would just laugh and laugh and laugh.

I will recount one of my favorite Gregg moments: I had gone to Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta to see ABB and, as it often happened, Oteil Burbridge sauntered offstage between songs and handed me his bass. So onstage I went to play the tune Rockin’ Horse. We were deep into the jam when Gregg finally looked over my way, saw me, looked back at his keys, then looked back again with shock and surprise on his normally stoic face. An actual double take! For once I got him. Later Gregg told Warren Haynes, “I like the way that big ol’ boy plays the bass.” SCORE! It’s a precious moment I will always treasure it along with so many more too numerous to mention.

So to Gregg: thank you for the music and thank you for teaching me about the blues. More importantly thank you for being a brother. You were always welcoming and sweet to me. You were always thoughtful and soft spoken and carried yourself with an aloofness that only your closest friends knew was an actual shyness (and perhaps a bit of amusement at how ludicrous the hugeness of the whole “rock star thing” really was - but like it or not you were the epitome of a rock star). Thank you for trying to come down to my level even though I will never be able to see you as anything other than a superstar - one of the brightest in my sky. Thank you for guiding me in your own way as a teacher whether you knew it or not. The impact you have had upon my life and the way I work my music is undeniable.

And to those who loved Gregg: my heart is with you. I have no other words that can temper or lessen the pain that you must be feeling today.

In closing I will say that Gregg holds a special place amongst another elite group: Those who have written songs that are guaranteed to make me cry. There are only four in this group and without mentioning the other three I will say that it’s Melissa that starts the waterworks. Every single time I hear this beautiful song the tears just come. I think I’ll go listen to it now.

-das

https://youtu.be/g5iib4XDgZ8

Just listened to Please call home and Mellisa. Those songs are so moving and Greg Allmans voice is so full of soul and sadness that it choked me up more than it usually does.
    His loss is a big one what a giant we have lost.

Dickey and Duane Betts at funeral
    Name:  18767600_10209315319336367_5224664427846651094_n.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  76.1 KB
    Michael Allman
    Name:  18893229_1345556565525999_2708386282797921171_n.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  18814355_1345558065525849_4238583888604195899_n.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  104.9 KB
    w/ Chank
    Name:  18893307_10209315699105861_5178196381126033781_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.3 KB
    Cher and Chank
    Name:  18920230_10211999417153484_7556389602103037095_n.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  118.2 KB
    Name:  18892913_10212954841803904_7147471628412903411_n.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  66.0 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Funeral pics weird me out a little bit. That billboard is awesome. Was just rewatching the documentary Muscle Schoals. When Rick Hall talks about how the Allman Bros. came to be and how "southern rock" was invented right before his ears, laughing at himself for not getting it and letting them go.