Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Last Day to Submit Public Comments on the 27 National Monuments under review

Please take a few moments to write the Department of Interior and tell them to protect all national monuments under review, and to reject any changes to these iconic landscapes.

You can do so by going to https://www.regulations.gov/document...2017-0002-0001 and then clicking on the "comment now" link in the upper right hand of the page. Today is the last day to submit comments!

On Bear Ears, I wrote earlier in a instagram post: There are few places in the United States that are home to as many artifacts of past civilizations than the lands protected by the Bears Ears National Monument. It was this reason that the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition, a historic consortium of 5 tribal nations, was formed to lobby for it's protection. And President Obama listened to these tribes and the local communities when he created the National Monument. To remove protection from these lands is akin to bulldozing the Vatican or allowing mining in Machu Picchu. These areas not only have cultural significance to Native Americans but all Americans as they offer glimpses to early human civilizations.

Name:  4754_544618109071_2342148_n.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  82.4 KB

There has been a lot of confusion about what the National Monuments allow and don't. Historical used including ATV and horseback riding, bikes, amateur mining, grazing , hunting, harvest are grandfathered in to places like Bears Ears. National Monument designation has simply protected this area in particular from corporate development. The type of development that creates a bubble and burst economy that recycles financial hardships for rural Utah towns. When politicians talk about what an economic boom opening these areas to oil and gas development would be to local communities think of the comparison of Moab to Vernal or Emery, Utah.

Submit your comments by going to https://www.regulations.gov/document...2017-0002-0001 and then clicking on the "comment now" link in the upper right hand of the page. Today is the last day to submit comments!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	412432_3977625160821_1751280904_o.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	206852

Thanks for posting. Submitted a comment and called my congressional representative's office as well.

Thanks Brutah, I sent my comments in as well.

Of all the things politicians sling mud over, I would hope that setting aside and protecting a low percentage of public lands through wilderness, NM or NP designations would be an easy thing to get bipartisan support on, but one can dream...

Sent.

Took all of 5 minutes. Everybody, take the time to speak up.

Thanks for the reminder...this is so important.

thanks y'all for taking the time to submit comments. This is important stuff and these areas mean a lot to me and many others.

done.

Thank you for encouraging this --

Commented.

Secretary Zinke and Congress,

I am writing to express my support for the current National Monument designation of the Bears Ears area in southern Utah. I have visited the area on several occasions and have been greatly impressed by its grand scenic beauty, wealth of recreational opportunities, and deep-running cultural significance. The richness of the Ancestral Puebloan culture in the area is evident upon even brief exploration, with hundreds of sites holding priceless artifacts and untold stories of the ancient peoples that once lived in this wild corner of the world. It is a national treasure and holds immeasurable meaning, not only to present-day descendants of these Native Americans, but also to every American as we are all free to visit this protected public land. It clearly deserves preservation as defined by the Antiquities Act of 1906, as was the basis for its designation by President Obama in 2016.

Thank you.

Hey Brutah,

Pretty sure it was only the last day for Bears Ears, and the rest of them you can comment through a date in June or July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

did this earlier this week
    hopefully it is received and considered

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Hey Brutah,

Pretty sure it was only the last day for Bears Ears, and the rest of them you can comment through a date in June or July.
    Shall we argue over particulars???

my understanding was that all national monuments that have been designated since 1996 are under review under the same order and May 25 or 26th is the last day to submit public comments concerning all monuments under review and July 10th is the last day to submit written comments by mail (seems backwards, i know, but hey its the federal goverment). Of course, when I went to see how many public comments have been submitted and accepted this morning, the "comment now" button now says that public comments are being accepted until July 10th. So who knows? Who knows if this current administration even gives a shit what the public thinks? All I know is that I feel a lot better about myself when I take the time to voice my concerns over things that matter to me. The environment and public lands have and always will greatly matter to me. So I submitted my comment and encouraged others to do so. over 107,000+ comments so far have been submitted and I haven't read one that is in support of rescinding or reducing national monuments, hopefully it will make a difference.

I hear you. Just wanted to point that out so people wouldn't think they still can't get a word in.

Doubt they'll listen, for sure. But I also doubt they have the legal authority to do it. The Antiquities Act doesn't allow it. Hasn't been litigated yet, but the wording is fairly clear. Congress can go back and undo them, but Zinke and Trump aren't Congress.

And, yes, I'll be commenting too. Just lazy and hadn't done it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Doubt they'll listen, for sure. But I also doubt they have the legal authority to do it. The Antiquities Act doesn't allow it. Hasn't been litigated yet, but the wording is fairly clear. Congress can go back and undo them, but Zinke and Trump aren't Congress.
    Laws? Legal Authority? These do not apply to Comrade Trump!

but yea i'm with ya, watch out for a long and costly legal battle that will cost the taxpayer, which is the irony of the whole thing, since national monuments and protection of public lands generally receive widespread public support.

Done. Talking to the people in and around Escalante, the monument has been an economic godsend.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Done

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Done. Talking to the people in and around Escalante, the monument has been an economic godsend.
    Next thing, you'll be telling me that Moab is doing better than Price these days!

Only 107,000 have commented? I would have expected many more. That's like 1 Michigan stadium full of people that made the effort.

You think they're gonna listen anyway? The FCC didn't.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

We're dealing with people who think Michael Douglas's character was the good guy in Wall Street.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'm all for creating Wilderness areas and protecting the environment, but let's be honest for a minute. The Antiquities Act of 1906 was written to protect individual buildings, structures, objects, and landmarks (and the minimum amount of land to maintain those structures, like a 1/4 mile radius or so).

Here's what it officially covers: "...historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States..."

Presidents have hijacked and abused the Act for decades when creating huge Monuments covering thousands of acres, and it's surprising that Monument status hasn't been questioned long before now. Suppose each President wants to keep it rolling and hope no one notices...

We really should do it legally instead - create permanent and unquestionable Wilderness areas using the proper process. Misusing the Antiquities Act might grab headlines for politicians, but it's a recipe for exactly what's happening now.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-27-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I'm all for creating Wilderness areas and protecting the environment, but let's be honest for a minute. The Antiquities Act of 1906 was written to protect individual buildings, structures, objects, and landmarks (and the minimum amount of land to maintain those structures, like a 1/4 mile radius or so).

Here's what it officially covers: "...historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States..."

Presidents have hijacked and abused the Act for decades when creating huge Monuments covering thousands of acres, and it's surprising that Monument status hasn't been questioned long before now. Suppose each President wants to keep it rolling and hope no one notices...

We really should do it legally instead - create permanent and unquestionable Wilderness areas using the proper process. Misusing the Antiquities Act might grab headlines for politicians, but it's a recipe for exactly what's happening now.
    I disagree with your stance on the misuse of the antiquities act. In fact the antiquities act was enacted by teddy roosevelt and the first thing he protected under the act was devil's tower in wyoming. another reason it was enacted was to protect areas in the SW, like Chaco Canyon, where indian artifacts were being looted. There is specific language in the act talking about protecting ruins, particularly native american ruins and artifacts. How presidents have been using the antiquities act to protect landscapes and vunerable lands from corporate development is exactly its intended use.

Furthermore, I prefer National Monuments to wilderness areas in most cases. I do enjoy backpacking in wilderness areas, but national monuments allow for much more shared uses. There are grandfathered in grazing and logging allotments in many national monuments (including GSENM and BENM). You can drive, ride an ATV or bike in many areas in National Monuments especially if there was a historical precedent. Whereas, wilderness areas restrict mountain biking and all motorized travel even if there is a historical precedent.

and last time I checked using the antiquities act to protect lands is LEGAL and has a 110 year precedent. you only think its illegal because you listen to corrupt politicians that are only concerned with corporate interests like the whole utah delegation.

Well said Brutah.

Agreed.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/49.8/fact-...ional-monument

stumbled upon this article today from high country news about some of the falsehoods that Orrin Hatch has been spreading about the Bears Ears National Monument

Bears Ears is a legitimate Monument due to the substantial Native American history, but many aren't. In fact, nearly a quarter of Presidents have reduced the size of prior Monuments, so they're not 100% permanent.

But don't take my word for it, or emotional talking​ points from those on either side. Read the Act for yourself, it's not long or complicated. Knowing the text of the Act makes it easy to understand why we're in this position today. Bears Ears wouldn't be threatened if the Act wasn't misused elsewhere.

https://www.nps.gov/history/local-la...ty_wog91iPQ7cg
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 06-06-2017 at 09:49 AM.