Thread: Kids Bikes

Kids Bikes

I know there is a thread on here somewhere but I can't find it. Looking for a new bike for my lanky 6 almost 7 year old.
    He is on a Cleary Hedgehog now but it suddenly over night too small. Is the next step 20" wheels? Or 24"? I want something lightish weight, no suspension, hand brakes, and maybe some gears. I found a Trek Superfly 20 on CL for a decent price. But worried that 20" is too small or will be very soon. But once you get to 24" everything is crap. Suspension forks, 24+ speeds, heavy. What am I missing out there?

There's this thread which may or may not help
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Mountain-Bikes

Some good info in these threads, too:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...k-bike-for-kid
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-my-son-s-bike

20" is normally the next step, but if he's a tall kid he may outgrow it quickly. Some kids ride 20" for 2 years or more, some move on to 24" in 6-8 months. If you think that's a real possibility you could always buy that used Superfly now, and if he outgrows it in 6 months you could probably resell it for most or all of what you paid for it. If he doesn't look cartoonishly big for the Hedgehog he's not ready for 24" right now though.

For what you want (light, rigid, gears, hand brakes) the best option out there right now is actually Orbea. They are killing it with the MX 20/24 Team models: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/kids/mx-kids The geo and component spec are both way superior to a Superfly 20/24, and the MSRPs are actually less than the Superflys. The disc models are also very reasonably priced and look sharp as hell.

The one thing I don't know about the Orbeas is availability. But, it looks like there's half a dozen Orbea dealers in the Denver area so that may not be an issue in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Some good info in these threads, too:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...k-bike-for-kid
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-my-son-s-bike

20" is normally the next step, but if he's a tall kid he may outgrow it quickly. Some kids ride 20" for 2 years or more, some move on to 24" in 6-8 months. If you think that's a real possibility you could always buy that used Superfly now, and if he outgrows it in 6 months you could probably resell it for most or all of what you paid for it. If he doesn't look cartoonishly big for the Hedgehog he's not ready for 24" right now though.

For what you want (light, rigid, gears, hand brakes) the best option out there right now is actually Orbea. They are killing it with the MX 20/24 Team models: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/kids/mx-kids The geo and component spec are both way superior to a Superfly 20/24, and the MSRPs are actually less than the Superflys. The disc models are also very reasonably priced and look sharp as hell.

The one thing I don't know about the Orbeas is availability. But, it looks like there's half a dozen Orbea dealers in the Denver area so that may not be an issue in your case.
    Thanks. I should have just sent you a PM. My kid is 48' tall. But skinny. He isn't a ripper or anything so I think a 24" might be too big. I guess I need to have him ride some. That Orbea looks pretty sweet. I am not opposed to spending $3-400 on a bike if it works for the kid. There is actually an Orbea dealer near my house. I might call and see if they stock them. The Superfly seller is asking $250. Might be able to get it for $200 as it has been listed for awhile.

I hemmed and hawed about bike sizes (kiddo has a 16" crappy bike, is on the cusp of 20" sizing). But finally decided that she'd improve quicker with a bike where she's in the middle of the size range, rather than where the bike is just a wee big, so I'm working on buying a nice 16"er with hand brakes. Yes, I'm probably buying a bike she'll outgrow in a season, but fuck it. Bikes can be sold.

So I guess in your situation, look for a 20" and get the 24" when the size is right, and sell the 20" in 6-12 months (maybe to me ).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I hemmed and hawed about bike sizes (kiddo has a 16" crappy bike, is on the cusp of 20" sizing). But finally decided that she'd improve quicker with a bike where she's in the middle of the size range, rather than where the bike is just a wee big, so I'm working on buying a nice 16"er with hand brakes. Yes, I'm probably buying a bike she'll outgrow in a season, but fuck it. Bikes can be sold.

So I guess in your situation, look for a 20" and get the 24" when the size is right, and sell the 20" in 6-12 months (maybe to me ).
    I think that is the plan. Unfortunately, for you, I have another son who will inherit all these sweet rides so I will have a garage of every conceivable sized bike for awhile before I cash out.

Either of you in park city?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    I think that is the plan. Unfortunately, for you, I have another son who will inherit all these sweet rides so I will have a garage of every conceivable sized bike for awhile before I cash out.
    I might have something for you.

Kids Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    My kid is 48' tall...
    I think you should be looking for a bigger bike. Your kid is a giant (literally).

Woom makes great kids bikes, including a few models with an internally geared 2-speed hub. Very nice bikes but not light on the wallet. I thought Cleary were expensive until checking out Woom.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Danno you can buy OP's bike in a year and I'll snag your 16". My daughter will be ready for that size later this summer.

Heh, attention to detail.

So I ended up getting the 20" Superfly for $200. Glad I did. A 24" would be huge on him and he has room to grow on this one. Trying to explain gears to a 6 year old if frustrating. Gear #1 is easy, #6 is fast. Don't stare at the handlebars and run into parked cars.

Got my daughter a Woom 3 (16") this week. Aluminum frame, single speed freewheel, hand brakes, low step over, 12 pounds all in. Can't say enough about her ride - the progression this week compared to her 20+ pound 12" Specialized Hotrock with coaster brake has been amazing. And she now wants to ride all the time, which is great.

Kids Bikes

Have a girls 24" Trek MT 220 that my kid will outgrow in a few months. Works fine for fire roads. Wouldn't take it on anything more technical than buff ST. Seems like the 24" bike will work until she's about 5'1"