Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portable AC Units

Yes, they are dumb. Yes, I understand it puts the heat generating components of the AC inside the house and single hose models result in a negative pressure situation.

I am stuck adding AC to my existing HVAC system or a portable AC due to HOA rules. The numbers don't make sense for me to upgrade the HVAC with my time horizon on owning this house, but with a young kid in the house I need to control the temp in a few rooms during the day.

Any one have one they like? Models to stay way from? Looking at 10-12k BTU units.

Portable AC Units

We have the exact same issues.

Just bought the LG from Home Depot 10K BTUs. Like it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This looks interesting.

You have a window or 2 that you want to hang the AC unit out of? There are some internal units (ductless or self evaporating are some of the descriptions) that could also be considered. Mitsubishi 12,000 BTU and some others like it are used pretty regularly in data centers for heavier duty. Hang it over a doorway and leave the window(s) to still allow light into rooms or use it in a room with very little in the way of exterior windows.

If you want Window mount, LG have been pretty reliable for the money.

I've got a whynter 14000btu unit that's served me fairly well. I do think some of the haus sized window units put out more cold air. Then again, I've always had this unit in a room well oversized for it.

Look for a dual hose model to avoid the negative air situation no sense in pulling in hot air if it's not necessary.

My first choice would be a regular window AC. Will the HOA let you use one?

I've used the portable AC units and they work. The hose got hot so I wrapped it in reflectix.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    My first choice would be a regular window AC. Will the HOA let you use one?

I've used the portable AC units and they work. The hose got hot so I wrapped it in reflectix.
    Mine as well. HOA doesn't allow window units in theory. Could probably get away with it if the neighbors don't say anything.

Picked up the same unit plugboots posted above. Seems decent.

I think all the models probably work fine, the most important part will be to "install" it as close to the window as possible (to make the hose as short as possible) and seal the hose/window connection as well as you can, so that all the generated heat goes out the window and not into your room.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

GTFO of any property with an HOA. That's the only solid advice I can offer...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I used to think that way. But then that HOA money goes to doing all the yard work, fixing any gutter issue, painting on a very regular basis, recycle and garbage pick-up, etc. etc. etc. while I'm out skiing, cycling, fly-fishing, watching sports, etc. etc. etc.

I used to think this. After looking at property after property with a neighbor down the street with a junk pile in the front yard I'll take the quiet, well maintained, value stable neighborhood I am in for now.

Portable AC Units

shitttt i'm about to jump on one of these as well. any clear brand winners with respect to reliability?

edit: i'd say max budget is $500

We bought a portable AC a couple years ago. $350. Brand is Cool Living, 12000 btu. Loud af, don't plan on watching tv in the same room with it. It does take the edge off the heat but that's about it. Got central AC put in our upstairs this spring and already loving it. (Downstairs stays cool.) Sooo glad we spent the dough and cannot wait to put the portable on Craigslist. But it is better than nothing when it's really hot.

This is my feeling as well. I know they do a lot of the crap work most homeowners hate, but I cant stomach some "elected" HOA member telling me what I can and can't do with MY fucking house and property. Fuck that. Don't want a neighbor who yard looks like a dump? Buy in a better neighborhood. There are also still code enforcement rules most towns have. Neighbor has a shit pile call the town, but don't tell me I can't have a window a/c unit cause some douche doesn't like the way it looks

Municipality code enforcement doesn't handle everything, and not all HOAs are the same.

As with everything, there are pluses and minuses to each choice, and one should choose carefully.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Municipality code enforcement doesn't handle everything, and not all HOAs are the same.

As with everything, there are pluses and minuses to each choice, and one should choose carefully.
    Agreed town laws/rules don't cover it all. Sorry but in essence all HOAs are in fact the same, they all set rules on what YOU can do with YOUR house that you own and pay for land and all. Some rules might be less stringent, but they are still rules, most right down to the color selections you have if you decide you want to paint YOUR house. #fuckhoas

I don't live in one, and don't think I would willingly choose a single family home in an HOA, because then you still have to do all the work on your house. But I'd be fine in a townhouse, I'd love to not have to deal with so much maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    This is my feeling as well. I know they do a lot of the crap work most homeowners hate, but I cant stomach some "elected" HOA member telling me what I can and can't do with MY fucking house and property. Fuck that. Don't want a neighbor who yard looks like a dump? Buy in a better neighborhood. There are also still code enforcement rules most towns have. Neighbor has a shit pile call the town, but don't tell me I can't have a window a/c unit cause some douche doesn't like the way it looks
    I guess this would bother me if I wasn't aware of it when I bought the place. HOA elected members don't just get to make up rules as they go, it is all spelled out in black and white. No AC window units rule is in the original HOA charter rules. Its not like some bored grandma just made it up last week.

Neighborhood is clean, safe, well maintained and has some of the best property values in town.

If I was buying something on some acreage and had some space I would definitely not be in an HOA, but when you live right next to people it is nice to have everyone on the same page.

But this thread is about AC not HOA's.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    We'll decide.

I recently looked at a home lot in an HOA. My wife is vehemently against the idea even though in the past few years we've had a neighbor that thinks they live on a farm even though it's an urban half acre. We've had to have multiple uncomfortable conversations with them ranging from why they need a water source for their urban beekeeping (we have a pool) to why the other side of their lot would work better for their chicken coop.

Update. The unit we bought works very well for our situation and climate, (just 20 miles East of Seattle). We only need to run it 10-15 nights/year, (actually we don't NEED to run it at all, last 2 summers we just ran 2 fans), and putting in central AC would have cost $2000, as I recall. We are prolly gonna buy another of the same one for another bedroom.

Aaaaaaannnd... I love a good thread drift.

We kept our house in Winthrop, WA. I wish there was a better HOA there. Common redneck activity is to buy a chunk of land, tear out all the native fauna, (beautiful Balsamroot, Lupine, Bitterbrush and Sage), then get a riding mower and mow the almost cryptobiotic soil. They never irrigate or try to put in a lawn of any kind. Get up on a beautiful Sunday morning and mow your dirt.

I got more.

I guess this would bother me if I wasn't aware of it when I bought the place. HOA elected members don't just get to make up rules as they go, it is all spelled out in black and white. No AC window units rule is in the original HOA charter rules. Its not like some bored grandma just made it up last week.
    This is an important point when people bitch about HOAs. Yes, there is occasionally arbitrary enforcement of vague rules in some HOAs, so I think you're wrong to dismiss the idea completely. But, generally speaking, all of the rules are spelled out in the relevant documents, and someone now complaining because they can't put a window a/c unit in is an idiot, or at least not a careful reader, if that rule was always there.

Have you considered a split ductless unit? Is it allowed?

I'm looking at a new place and am considering an HOA and finding the thread shift informative. We owned a house for 20 years, moved across the country and am now living in a rental apartment. I really like having someone doing the maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    Have you considered a split ductless unit? Is it allowed?

I'm looking at a new place and am considering an HOA and finding the thread shift informative. We owned a house for 20 years, moved across the country and am now living in a rental apartment. I really like having someone doing the maintenance.
    Unknown if allowed.

I have everything i need to run central ac except for the unit. Existing hvac is set up to plug and play with an ac unit. Just doesn't pencil out for me. So split ductless doesn't make sense.

Same boat as plugboots: I need ac 15-20 days per year max.

Sorry for the drift but I get most HOA rules are spelled out for you to read prior to purchase. It doesn't make most of the rules any less stupid. It's totally personal though. I just have a problem with "authority" I guess and don't like others telling me what I can do with shit I bought. I rip off every fucking mattress tag too. Fuck them.

trying to purchase an ac unit or two for a rental condo. 2 bedroom 2 bath. No place for a vent in the living room because there is only a door, and a large glass sliding door/window.
    two bedrooms are small, but they have windows that will work.

Any thoughts? i know there are some units that dont need a vent, work like a swamp cooler. Any ideas on these?

Thanks