Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Give her a woody & call it a day
    Have you considered a PT Cruiser for your family?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Therefore, either tuk tuk or Creep Van will suffice. Ladyboy and/or axe murderer optional.
    Here, In simplest terms, is the difference between those who see a car as a tool and those that see it as so much more.
    I still call it The Jake.

If your looking for something impractically not practical, go with the New Honda Ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Have you considered a PT Cruiser for your family?
    Everyone knows an Au Pair will demand a big woody.

This one is $71k, pocket change for a dental lawyer like Rontele: http://wagonmaster.com/inventory/?al...oneer-4x4-1797

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Give her a woody & call it a day
    So we can put down your vote as "tuk tuk with optional ladyboy/ axe murderer," right?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    if minivan and AWD, doesn't that leave only the Sienna? Problem solved!
    The new ones are nice.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    The new ones are nice.

^^^ Rear seat depicted in "service mode."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So we can put down your vote as "tuk tuk with optional ladyboy/ axe murderer," right?
    They're called Jeepneys meng

Is the SUV 3-row? If not, you need something of that size as 2 car seats+2 people+stuff = full up real quick. It's the reason we picked up a minivan (PS - congrats!). New Outbacks are fine, but I thought you had a Merc wagon?
    Fun cheap option right now is the Ford Fusion Sport - 325 HP turbo 6, AWD, can score them new for 25-30k

If this is your vermonter then you need a sienna with a gun rack and and a I heart killing fun bumper sticker
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Is the SUV 3-row? If not, you need something of that size as 2 car seats+2 people+stuff = full up real quick. It's the reason we picked up a minivan (PS - congrats!). New Outbacks are fine, but I thought you had a Merc wagon?
    Fun cheap option right now is the Ford Fusion Sport - 325 HP turbo 6, AWD, can score them new for 25-30k
    SUV has a third row. Dealer called us and asked if we would be interested in trading in the Merc wagon and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. A real third row was the reason we swapped out the Merc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Why don't girls from Vermont do reverse cowgirl?

You NEVER turn your back on your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Actually looked at this but not AWD, which is a necessity since this may be needed in Vt.
    I have never owned a 4wheel drive vehicle and I was born here and have lived here ever since except for one winter. My parents didn't have 4x4 either. Snow tires son. Much cheaper than 4WD and you will be glad you have them when one of those freak winters happens again.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    VWs have a excellent safety rating, if that is important, but as a VW owner I would not buy another.
    Just don't drive them out of warranty and you'll be fine. Working for me so far.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    SUV has a third row. Dealer called us and asked if we would be interested in trading in the Merc wagon and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. A real third row was the reason we swapped out the Merc.
    OK, you have a bunch of options then. As mentioned elsewhere, you don't 100% NEED AWD in New England if you're willing to commit to snow tires (just get them pre-mounted on wheels from tire rack, takes maybe an hour to swap if doing yourself, 15 minutes at the service station with lift/impact gun) as we don't have the chain control to worry about, it's just about ice traction which is mostly tire-dependent.

You won't have the mountain lifestyle cred without AWD though.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I have never owned a 4wheel drive vehicle and I was born here and have lived here ever since except for one winter. My parents didn't have 4x4 either. Snow tires son. Much cheaper than 4WD and you will be glad you have them when one of those freak winters happens again.
    This attitude bugs the crap out of me, it's like some form of driving machismo. Can you function with FWD and snow tires? Of course. Almost all of the time it will be just fine, especially when home in Boston. But will you feel as safe driving in a blizzard on snow packed roads in VT? Fuck no, with good reason. And you better be damn careful where you park when things are snow packed, because if that spot is sloped backwards and you need to pull forwards, you may be fucked with FWD.

If you want to drive FWD around VT, go for it. But it's dickish bragging to act like FWD is just as good as AWD/4WD because you're such a stud driver. It's not just as good, no matter how good a driver you are, and it's totally unreasonable to suggest as much to someone looking to safely and conveniently tote his family around.

I do agree that snow tires are a hudge help regardless, and he shouldn't avoid them just because he has AWD, but AWD/4WD with snows >>>>>>>> FWD with snows.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My Honda Odyssey with studded Hakkapalittttttaahs can barely get up my driveway in winter. It usually takes me three tries.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This attitude bugs the crap out of me, it's like some form of driving machismo. Can you function with FWD and snow tires? Of course. Almost all of the time it will be just fine, especially when home in Boston. But will you feel as safe driving in a blizzard on snow packed roads in VT? Fuck no, with good reason. And you better be damn careful where you park when things are snow packed, because if that spot is sloped backwards and you need to pull forwards, you may be fucked with FWD.

If you want to drive FWD around VT, go for it. But it's dickish bragging to act like FWD is just as good as AWD/4WD because you're such a stud driver. It's not just as good, no matter how good a driver you are, and it's totally unreasonable to suggest as much to someone looking to safely and conveniently tote his family around.

I do agree that snow tires are a hudge help regardless, and he shouldn't avoid them just because he has AWD, but AWD/4WD with snows >>>>>>>> FWD with snows.
    Agreed. I don't think the price gap on used cars that are AWD/4x4 vs. FWD is all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Much cheaper
    Car is for his kid's nanny....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    My Honda Odyssey with studded Hakkapalittttttaahs can barely get up my driveway in winter. It usually takes me three tries.
    exactly. I've lived/driven in snow country with studded snows, and while it can be done, it takes a lot of driving adjustment, sometimes multiple attempts at something (like you describe), and there are times when the wheels just spin. That winter is still the only time I have ever HAD to use chains.

Add in 2 littles in the back, and it's just not worth it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yep. Just cause you CAN do something doesn't make it the correct thing. I got by for years with a rear wheel drive RX7 driving way too fast up one of the great ski hill access roads in history (Fortress). It definately wasn't safer than a 4WD with studs all round.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

And we are talking a nanny doing the driving of your children, so I would go and for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

So we should buy the car that is best suited for 1% of our driving needs? I don't think anyone is disputing that FWD is as good as AWD in situations with low traction but for 99% of driving FWD is more than adequate. Even if it's skewed toward 10% low traction driving FWD makes more sense.

Fucking spell check. Get AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Have you considered a hovercraft or a train? They're fine options in inclement weather.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey