SNOWCAT TRIP: SILVERTON CATS OR PURGATORY?

Heading out with some good friends to Durango in Feb for a snowcat trip. We have two options of Silverton or Purgatory. From my research, Purgatory used to be San Juan Snowcats, and has much more available terrain than Silverton, so we are leaning toward them. What are your suggestions and experience? Thanks for the feedback.

bump

Has anyone used Silverton Cats or what was San Juan Ski Co. Cat Skiing? Thanks.

Silverton Cats gives you morning bacon.

Everything is better with bacon. Does that include powder skiing?

purgatory has vert?

in my cat skiing experience, it is nice to book the entire cat so there are no outsiders that join up with questionable skiing ability.

Nothing is worse than 8 competent skiers, and 2 joiners who basically came from EpicSki to ski IN the powder. Really holds the rest of the group back.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    purgatory has vert?

in my cat skiing experience, it is nice to book the entire cat so there are no outsiders that join up with questionable skiing ability.

Nothing is worse than 8 competent skiers, and 2 joiners who basically came from EpicSki to ski IN the powder. Really holds the rest of the group back.
    Yep. That's a concern of mine, but I can only gather about 4-5 friends for the trip. We will have to keep our fingers crossed for conditions and solid skiers. Any ideas for what is a better outfit. I know that San Juan has much more acreage, but I assume Silverton is has access to higher elevation and possibly more snowfall.

bump to get some advice

I've skied San Juan Untracked, now Purgatory (I guess) but it was a few years ago when Bob and Carrie owned it. It was their last year of ownership. Conditions weren't the best when we went; really sketchy avy conditions for one thing. They had received about 3' of new a couple of days before then it got wind-hammered so we were on low angle, wind slabbed snow. They also hadn't opened the higher elevation roads yet due to the prior lack of snow in the San Juans. So, not the best trip but like any time when you're involving mechanized skiing; how good it is, is entirely dependent on the current conditions. All in all, I liked Bob and Carrie and Josh, our lead guide. Lunch was good and we had fun, in spite of the conditions.

For a little more background, we were filming for Colorado Tourism and Durango Tourism and had a good crew to ski with. Scott Kennett, Robbie Mahre, and some other guys with a lot of cat and heli experience so were only limited by the conditions. We were supposed to ski at Silverton, too but there was some sort of mix-up on the arrangements so never made it there. No advice to add for that. Here's the San Juan Untracked story that was part of our Colorado show.

Quote Originally Posted by espiecks View Post
    Yep. That's a concern of mine, but I can only gather about 4-5 friends for the trip. We will have to keep our fingers crossed for conditions and solid skiers. Any ideas for what is a better outfit. I know that San Juan has much more acreage, but I assume Silverton is has access to higher elevation and possibly more snowfall.
    Just buy the rest of the seats and invite us.

FWIW, There was a similar thread this season and I can't find it. From that thread with Purg Snowcats:

Silverton Snowcats start from a higher elevation on Molas Pass than Purgatory Snowcats. Both offer good terrain, skiing and views. One clear advantage with Purgatory Snowcats is you can ski right to the bar. We had a great time but also know the crew. Drive time between the two cat locations (weather permitting) is 15-20 minutes. If there's a huge storm Purg is easier to get to than Molas from Durango. Molas is around 15 to 20 minutes from Silverton.

I'm not sure it's necessary to decide 7 months before you head up unless you have such a narrow window you can't wait to decide nor storm watch to pull the trigger at the last minute.

Are you planning on staying in Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, Durango......?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I'm not sure it's necessary to decide 7 months before you head up unless you have such a narrow window you can't wait to decide nor storm watch to pull the trigger at the last minute.
    Exactly, wait till you know what the conditions will look like and go with which either one that has the seats.
    If you have to book in advance, go with the one that has the most lenient cancellation policy, which seems to be Silverton.

Thanks for all the advice. There is a bit of urgency, because we are going over President's Holiday Weekend, and it will probably fill up fast. Annual snow fall shows that Silverton gets about 70% more snow than Purgatory, but San Juan Untracked (Purgatory) has much more terrain. Tough call. Any other advice on skiing Silverton guided is appreciated as well.

Any other advice on skiing Silverton guided is appreciated as well.
    Set your expectations appropriately. You'll be skiing to the lowest denominator in your group and hiking at the rate of the slowest person.

Any other advice on skiing Silverton guided is appreciated as well.
    Listen to your guide and don't deviate from their instruction.
    Don't be an aggro meathead too good for anyone in your crew.
    Chill out - it's Silverton. No rush, and if someone's a little slower than you, so what? Enjoy the scenery and kick your feet up.
    Take a chopper ride.

Awesome terrain, a mixed bag of snow and a refreshing vibe. You'll dig it!

Thanks for all the advice. There is a bit of urgency, because we are going over President's Holiday Weekend, and it will probably fill up fast. Annual snow fall shows that Silverton gets about 70% more snow than Purgatory, but San Juan Untracked (Purgatory) has much more terrain. Tough call. Any other advice on skiing Silverton guided is appreciated as well.
    Purgatory and Molas are not that far apart, but Molas does tend to get more. 'Silverton Mt' is a couple drainages away with different flows. Silverton Mt seems to 'magically' get more snow than even Red Mountain just above. Hmmm....

Check out the Snotel sites in the area. Cascade 2 & Scotch Creek are San Juan (Purgtory) Snowcat's area. Molas is Silverton Snowcat's area. Plus Red Mountain and a few others around for historical depths and temps. These are not based on 'marketing math'.

Coupled with the CAIC weather stations page, you can look at trends. The Center for Snow and Avalanche Studies is another source. Their's is the Senator Beck site off Red Mountain pass on the CAIC page.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

For stoke's sake, here's a view from Red Mountain towards Velocity Basin/Silverton Mt (left):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	214986

From Molas towards north side of peaks left on previous image. Left-center on image in trees is start of Silverton Snowcat's operation. Terrain is up and around left and right of mountain on left of this image.

Name:	IMG_5451.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	214987

Left of previous image showing some of the Silverton Snowcat's area. Think they also go around to the back side (northwest thru northeast/town of Silverton side).

Name:	IMG_5475.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	214988

These images DO NOT do justice to get a feel of the San Juans.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com