Toyota HJ's/CJ's School me!

Guys,
    I know nothing about these, other than I have always wanted one.
    Had a jeep before, so I already know about them. Looking for info on the FJ/HJ
    I wanted to be even more different by having a diesel.
    I know it is a niche that could cost a bunch from a parts perspective, but I know some of you guys know a lot more than me.
    Pro's, Con's, Too high too low, Just right?
    These are a couple I am looking at.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Toyota-...FZHcGd&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Toyota-...5ZGxXu&vxp=mtr

Thanks

Look at BJs too. Depends on the vehicle aize you want. BJ-40 is the diesel 40. Some old Toy diesels are super undergunned without the turbo. If you go 60 or 70 series, the manual 5 speed is nice. Read up on Slee Offroad and ih8mud.

My buddy was selling this one. It's pretty nice but not sure if he sold it. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-Sale-(Diesel)

I would seriously consider a trip to Africa. While there pick up any one of some really cool Land cruisers. Ship home. I don't know smog laws in NM, wouldn't work here in CA, but there are tons of these there.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I prefer a BJ over a HJ, and I'm not sure what a CJ is, so I will put it in 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I prefer a BJ over a HJ, and I'm not sure what a CJ is, so I will put it in 3rd.
    This is good info.

Other than the shear novelty of having a vehicle in which I would look good dressed in Vineyard Vines and toting a wicker basket of cheeses and cured meets to a beach picnic in Nantucket, I'm not sure I'd want one. For that, I would probably get a Series LR instead.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I meant to say FJ instead of CJ
    Hutash,
    I was in Africa, where I got the bug for it. That is all they use over there, and they love em.
    Timber
    I would be getting this because I want one, and I have my back to many thousands of acres of off road fun at my backyard.
    I could get a jeep, or Bronco, I know, but the LC has always been cool, but I have never owned a foreign car.
    Are those prices inline with what they are worth, or are they asking too much?
    Like I said, I have no clue on these particular vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This is good info.

Other than the shear novelty of having a vehicle in which I would look good dressed in Vineyard Vines and toting a wicker basket of cheeses and cured meets to a beach picnic in Nantucket, I'm not sure I'd want one. For that, I would probably get a Series LR instead.
    This is the exact criteria I've used to buy my last two cars.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This is the exact criteria I've used to buy my last two cars.
    I thought you had a driver?

http://www.worldwidevintageautos.com...cending=False\

These guys might be worth the drive for you. They have 9 Toyota's for sale at the moment and you can search what they have sold and for how much.

I've looked into replacing my scout with one but the center of gravity on them is a little higher.

I'm partial to the truck version but this thing is sick...
    http://www.worldwidevintageautos.com...lorado/6030575

I thought you had a driver?
    No, I'm too proletariat.

Added bonus to being a poor though, everyone can still bask in the glory of my perfectly cuffed Vineyard Vines nantucket red pants as I exit the driver's seat of my Land Cruiser.
    I still call it The Jake.

My high school buddy had a white landcruiser, probably 1975-ish jeep looking thing. Oh gawd, the memories...getting stoned in that thing...
    "Can't you see..."

I have looked at most of those, but there is a huge disparity in price on some of the ones that look identical, and I cannot figure out why, unless it is simply condition.
    Some of these go from. as an example some of the FJ's go from 13900-59000, and I have no clue as the difference.
    The HJ can go from 23-60000, again I cant see it

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    http://www.worldwidevintageautos.com...cending=False\

These guys might be worth the drive for you. They have 9 Toyota's for sale at the moment and you can search what they have sold and for how much.

I've looked into replacing my scout with one but the center of gravity on them is a little higher.

I'm partial to the truck version but this thing is sick...
    http://www.worldwidevintageautos.com...lorado/6030575

Sell me your Highboy, Lee. Then you can buy a really nice LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    and I'm not sure what a CJ is
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Sell me your Highboy, Lee. Then you can buy a really nice LC.
    Every time it comes out of the garage somebody comes up asking to buy. I just have to say Not for sale, but thanks.
    I will probably have to be buried in that old truck.
    Actually looking for something to compliment it, as it will go most anywhere, unless its tight.
    I have only seen that truck stuck once in my life, I was 18, and Dad put Street tires on it, and took it to the lake, and buried it.
    Went back to lug tires, and its gone everywhere I needed so far, as long as she fits.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    I have looked at most of those, but there is a huge disparity in price on some of the ones that look identical, and I cannot figure out why, unless it is simply condition.
    Some of these go from. as an example some of the FJ's go from 13900-59000, and I have no clue as the difference.
    The HJ can go from 23-60000, again I cant see it
    What about checking out forums dedicated to these vehicles?

skiing dentists don't know everything....

What about checking out forums dedicated to these vehicles?

skiing dentists don't know everything....
    There are other forums?

More importantly, what it's it the skiing dentists don't know?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

ih8mud.com

good luck. don't get something that you'll be scared to bang up and get dirty...

Old cruisers, particularly the FJ40, are highly collectible and the old original ones are worth a shit ton.

I am no expert but I will blather on as if I was one:

The really valuable cruisers have original paint, engine/gear, and have little to no rust. Craigslist and eBay sellers will continually list old clapped out cruisers as if they were original and valuable. This is often not the case.

The FJ40 had cheap steel and rust is the main problem with most of the older cruisers. It is very common for unscrupulous sellers to respray a rusty body in order to hide "the cancer" that often requires a full body off restoration. Beware of diamond plate and rhino lining!

Many other older FJs have had the original 2F engine replaced with a Chevy small block V8. This is not always a bad thing if you don't care about an original rig as the conversions if done right can be much more powerful and convenient on the highway. However lots of these conversions are done back yard style and will need proper vetting.

I have been shopping for a 40 for quite a while even though i have no immediate plans to buy one I just like to look.

IMHO if you want a mechanically solid and somewhat "true to stock" with some rust (not lots) I'd be looking in the 17-22k range.

Start looking in back yards for FJ40s and make the owners an offer. My neighbor has one sitting under a tarp bone stick waiting for his son to swap a new engine and blah blah blah. Meanwhile sitting under a tarp and rusting out for the last 20 years. I asked him about it again this afternoon, still not ready to let it go. A few others in the neighborhood just embracing the elements and rotting away.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ih8mud.com

good luck. don't get something that you'll be scared to bang up and get dirty...
    A sudden influx of mags at ih8mud could really spice things up over there. Guilty on avoiding the banged up part. The dirt washes off and leaves a crime scene chalk line reminder of the good times.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6096.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	206590

A neighbor of mine has one of the truck cab looking ones for sale, wants $5000 but I bet you could get cheaper. It has a chevy small block 327 and an sm465. Bubba style lift with big dumb shackles and 35" bfg mt.

I've driven a few, agree that the small block is nice, either way they are pretty unrefined, drives like a 60s cj5. So pretty rough ride, loud, slow, low gears, etc

I like the fj55s, personally.