Page 81 of 236 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 5882
    I feel like the man for rescuing my wife yesterday, but it's thanks to YouTube. Thank GOD for the internet.

She was trying to leave the grocery store and got a (apparently common) steering wheel lock service required message on the screen. Car wouldn't start. It's happened before intermittently but was really rare and we could always eventually get the car to start. I picked her up and we left the car there. Came home and hit teh interwebs and found a great how-to. I went back. Tore off the steering panels, whacked the steering lock motor with a hammer a couple times and voila! Got 'er started and was able to drive it home where I completed the removal and lubrication of the mechanism. Works like a champ now. The biggest way this guy helped was in removing those damn screws that have no screwdriver slots. Thanks to his suggestion, I took a cutting wheel to them and made my own. That's a new trick for me! Also finally know how an electronic steering wheel lock works so there's that I guess. Haha.

Anyway, if any of you Volvo owners also ever see this problem, try this out:

It needs a bigger band aid I got two coats of JB Weld on there and it's good at the bottom but it's seeping oil from higher up on the pan. This thing is shot. I'm done with this thing, bummed because it runs great but the rust underneath is just too much.

Did some work on my own car for once. New pads and rotors all around plus a really thorough flush and bleed.

Went with stoptech pads and centric blanks, annoyingly it's cheaper to order the rotors from rockauto than through any of my wholesale distributors. Previously I had the 309 prefix "sport" pads and went with the 308 series street this time around. I liked the sport pads but they're a good amount more and I don't really need the high temp rating right now. Haven't given them much of a test aside from bed in but they do seem to have a little less bite. Anyway nice to have smooth and quiet brakes now. Even went through the car wash. Didn't take any pictures.

I bought an inner tie rod and boot but didn't get around to changing that, because when I do I need to move the column to rack connection one notch over and re-align the car and figure out the p/s fluid leak so meh. Some other time.

Also got myself an electric impact finally. Milwaukee M18 setup, the drill, bit driver, two battery and charger combo appeared to be the best way to get started ($150 at HD) then I bought the tool only impact gun. 1/2 drive "mid-torque" one. The big one was an extra $100 and I was already spending a lot. Eventually I think I'll have to break down and get it plus a 5 ah battery. But it is lighter and smaller and got the wheels and caliper brackets off just fine.
    Last edited by jamal; 09-13-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    The biggest way this guy helped was in removing those damn screws that have no screwdriver slots. Thanks to his suggestion, I took a cutting wheel to them and made my own. That's a new trick for me!
    Multi Tool or dremel with metal cutting blade works really well for this as well. I had to do this to get the water to shut off at my shower one time. I stripped it so bad, I couldn't get the valve to shut off the water to the cartridge that I had to replace. Multi tool was just small enough to get in there to groove a slot big enough for the big screwdriver. Really good trick for stripped bolts too.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Anyone have any experience steam cleaning an engine? Anything to lookout for? I just bought a steam cleaner on Amazon. Gonna start on the CJ tomorrow.
    No CPU or sensitive electronics to dance around. I figure it should be pretty straightforward?
    Which steamer did you end up buying? I've been looking at the McCullochs but reviews are all over the place.

Bought a trailer hitch for wifes car and I was super nervous about pulling the quarter panel/bumper cover off. All those plastic pins. Jfc. I bought a tool specifically for them which actually came in handy more so for reinstalling them. Only thing I broke was my 30 yr old snap-on ratchet pulling actual bumper off. I got lucky with this adventure. I hate all this plastic stuff, but it doesn't rust.

^ needs the After pic

I recently bought a receiver hitch for my Alltrack that tucks up high, above the lower valance. Haven’t yet pulled the body apart

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    ^ needs the After pic

I recently bought a receiver hitch for my Alltrack that tucks up high, above the lower valance. Haven’t yet pulled the body apart
    I left it apart. Just seemed easier. The hitch is on.

I had to cut a slot in the center of the bumper cover. That is a slight concern because one side has two plastic pins and the other only one, so potential snow/ice getting up there and weighing it down then breaking the one pin. So I think I'm going to do a mod of some sort.

I'm gonna make you all as nutty about this car thing as I've been We have an 06 Outback that's been sitting in the driveway for two years now because the brake lines went bad. I was going to deal with it last spring but didn't because we didn't need it but now I'm thinking that if I don't put a motor in my BRZ maybe I should do all the things the OB needs and take it a few steps further. Instead of just replacing the brake system I'd upgrade it with better calipers, pads and rotors and at some point really soon it's going to need tires and shocks anyway so maybe it's time to rally it out and put a decent exhaust on because the stock one is pretty ugly after 14 years. With only 92k on it, 5 speed and not a lot of rust it sounds like a decent idea right? So to resurrect the thing after sitting what else do I need to do other than the brakes which are getting done anyway? Serpentine belt and tensioner, air filter, hoses, fluids, maybe spark plugs, timing belt was done about a year before it was parked and...? What's a good source for info and parts?

The muffler on my 02 with 250k is still original. I had some pieces of the exhaust pipe cut out and replaced with stainless steel as needed.

Fixing the brake lines is going to require an investment. Then the car is going to require more ongoing repairs. As you point out the calipers may already be frozen and require replacement. Not a big deal if you do it yourself but..you don't really seem like somebody who tackles these projects with pleasure as I think we've been talking about this 06 for a couple years? My experience is that I give myself a couple months to get my shit together, order parts, research the job etc. If after a couple three months I haven't gotten to it I probably never will.

Just keeps me honest with myself.

Maybe find a buyer and get a newer Toyota something...Corolla comes to mind.

Or just tackle that shit and start breaking some bolts report back here.

Trying to say this without being a dick. Just saying if you're not into it maybe cut yourself some slack and move on.

Happy to help though.

If it was me I would just focus on getting it rolling for now.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-23-2020 at 11:26 AM.

^^ You're spot on with most of that. I do actually enjoy doing the work but not having the right facility bugs the crap out of me. At least with this it would already be disabled and not something that's all of a sudden in the way and leaving me stranded because I'm already without a good running vehicle. I've done a bunch of the research but didn't spend for the parts because it wasn't needed but now with 1 rig that I don't trust and 2 dead ones something needs to happen soon.

I should have clarified that it's only the soft lines that need to be replaced so it's not so terrible but I haven't done a caliper and line replacement so the trepidation is real. There is a local mobile guy that is willing to help but at $80/hr it could get pricey. I dunno, I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and thinking out loud here. It would help if I had a friend locally that was into it that I could ask for help but most people I know are afraid of wrenches and sitting on the ground in the driveway is totally beyond them. Thanks for indulging me.

Man, I don't know, but a car does not like to sit for two years. You may have a lot more issues pop up. Cars need to be driven or stored properly.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ You're spot on with most of that. I do actually enjoy doing the work but not having the right facility bugs the crap out of me. At least with this it would already be disabled and not something that's all of a sudden in the way and leaving me stranded because I'm already without a good running vehicle. I've done a bunch of the research but didn't spend for the parts because it wasn't needed but now with 1 rig that I don't trust and 2 dead ones something needs to happen soon.

I should have clarified that it's only the soft lines that need to be replaced so it's not so terrible but I haven't done a caliper and line replacement so the trepidation is real. There is a local mobile guy that is willing to help but at $80/hr it could get pricey. I dunno, I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and thinking out loud here. It would help if I had a friend locally that was into it that I could ask for help but most people I know are afraid of wrenches and sitting on the ground in the driveway is totally beyond them. Thanks for indulging me.
    If you have a junk yard or find someone parting out a Subaru you should be able to source soft lines and calipers cheap. After replacing the lines and calipers a thorough bleeding should put you back in the road. If you want to get exotic you can even build your own power bleeder for about $20 and completely flush your brake fluid.
    Plenty of you tube videos about brake work with limited tools, don't be too intimidated if you have some minor mechanical skills.

You could run into issues pulling the rubber lines at the connection. That could require restoring the old lines at the connection. Nothing any decent mechanic can't handle.

You could have trouble pulling the calipers off if they have never come off before. That then requires removing the knuckle up front and taking it to an automotive machine shop to get the broken bolts heat removed or finding a clean junk yard knuckle. Something similar in the back. These guys at machine shops are our friends and they deal with bailing out shadetree morons like us every day of the week. We are the blood in their veins.

Or getting the car flatbeaded to a shop. Around here that is a $100 bill. Not the end of the world.

The $80 an hour mechanic would probably be cheaper.

Job anxiety is real. I get it almost every time I tackle a job with one of our cars. I think it makes me work slower and more careful. Sometimes a beer or two can break the ice.

Rereading my last post I did come across as a dick even though I tried to edit the asshole me out of it.

You have nothing to lose as you say. It is also okay to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Job anxiety is real. I get it almost every time I tackle a job with one of our cars. I think it makes me work slower and more careful. Sometimes a beer or two can break the ice.
    Glad its not just me.

Maybe put the emergency brake on and try to get it running first to see what kind of condition the engine and fuel system are in.

Eh chances are you'll be able to get all that stuff off. Just give the fittings on the lines a soaking of pb blaster ahead of time (along with all the other bolts you might be taking off) and then get an actual flare wrench, and then clamp a vice-grip over the flare wrench so that it squeezes down a little harder on that fitting nut.

Do you actually need new calipers, or maybe just pads and rotors?

If you want to talk about your project and options for higher performance brakes and suspension upgrades and whatnot just send me a pm or email to peter at functionauto dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Maybe put the emergency brake on and try to get it running first to see what kind of condition the engine and fuel system are in.
    This.

But even before you do that you will need to condition the engine a little. Remove the spark plugs and spray a little fogging oil in each cylinder. Disconnect the fuel or injectors. See if it cranks with no fuel and no plugs. If it does, then clean the injectors and purge the fuel line. Replace oil. Go from there.

Join a Subaru forum.

But get started. It's starting to cool off and there is nothing worse then wrenching in the winter in your driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Which steamer did you end up buying? I've been looking at the McCullochs but reviews are all over the place.
    This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1...18075088&psc=1

I give it a B+. Did ok on the Jeep, but it was a million degrees out, so I half assed it. Plus, I was a bit worried about old wiring, so I did a couple cautious passes to make sure it would start. The key to doing the engine is hitting it with degreaser first and letting it sit for a while.

It did an amazing job on my grill though, and it should be awesome for car carpet, seats, etc. I used it to spot clean my epoxy garage floor too, and it killed it.
    I think I can find enough uses to not have total buyers remorse. I was sort of expecting it to magically make my engine spotless though, and that looks like it takes quite a lot of sessions.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Friday night I was checking fluids on the wife's Rav4 before we headed out with her driving and me in the moving truck. Noticed a bit of residue on a cooling hose, went to wipe it off, and the damn T connector plastic broke and started spraying coolant all over me and my driveway.

All my tools were packed and I was at a loss for what to do. I called a mobile mechanic I found online, and was able to find the hose/connector was in stock at Autozone down the road so I went and grabbed it. The guy finally got back to me and told me to venmo him $200 before he showed up and then after the first hour it was $100/hour, no estimate given. Yeah F that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62217185810__1A5FF355-AFCF-4AB2-BADD-782EACFC524C.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	341146

So I dug through a couple boxes and the toolbox, found what I needed, and went to work at 9pm running on 5 hours of sleep and a 10 hour work day.

Name:	IMG_2934.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	341147

I had to grab a new hose clamp before I could finish the next morning. Drove the car around town running errands before packing the moving truck, topped off the coolant a couple times, and all was well.

Name:	IMG_2935.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	341148

Then I rolled out headed for Colorado in the Penske truck Sunday morning. "Engine shut down" light/warning came on just before the top of Soldier Summit and I spent 4 hours waiting and wondering if I'd make it to SLC. Luckily a friend was passing by and brought me some food, good conversation, and doggy pets. Mechanic cleared the code but it came right back, but I convinced Penske rep to get me towed all the way to Montrose (4+ hours) so I could sign on my house the next morning and not have to repack a 26' box truck.

Fuck modern diesels and all their bullshit sensors. Just had to get that out there.

Name:	IMG_2916.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	341149

Tow truck driver was super nice and my sometimes asshole heeler loves riding in trucks, so he was pretty content riding in the sleeper.

Name:	62233107657__EF6FC439-34F6-4611-A624-068370ADAAC2.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	341151

Rolled in to Montrose 11.5 hours after I left SLC (normally a 5:15ish drive) and made quite the entrance to my new hood.

Name:	IMG_2921.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	341152

The day I closed on my house I also had to solve a leaking water hose on the fridge. I need a fuggin break.

Did you try to use the stock Toyota hose clamp first? Lol. I spent way too long trying to reuse one of those squeeze clamps on the Prius before giving up and buying new ones with a normal screwdrive tightener. They sell a tool for them but cheaper and better just to buy clamps that work.

Those sensors will kill you for sure.

Congrats on the new house. Super happy for you guys. Would love to live down there.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Yeah. The spring clamps are better in theory because they keep constant tension with temperature changes, but I spent way too long farting around with the one on the radiator inlet. Screw drive clamp was a piece of cake, of course.

And thanks. Been a hell of a couple of months figuring it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1...18075088&psc=1

I give it a B+. Did ok on the Jeep, but it was a million degrees out, so I half assed it. Plus, I was a bit worried about old wiring, so I did a couple cautious passes to make sure it would start. The key to doing the engine is hitting it with degreaser first and letting it sit for a while.

It did an amazing job on my grill though, and it should be awesome for car carpet, seats, etc. I used it to spot clean my epoxy garage floor too, and it killed it.
    I think I can find enough uses to not have total buyers remorse. I was sort of expecting it to magically make my engine spotless though, and that looks like it takes quite a lot of sessions.
    Cool, thanks. Seems like the there is a big gap up in price to get anything better so I'll probably go with something similar.

@snow That connecter break is a tough situation. Do not envy but glad it eventually worked out.

I have straight hose clamp pliers from Blue Point (<$25) and remote cable hose clamp pliers from Astro. They're both invaluable for constant tension hose clamps.

Here are the Blue Points. The aluminum bits are soft which is good for the clamps but also means they don't last forever. There is a cheap rebuild kit. https://shop.snapon.com/product/Hose...ue-Point)/HCP9

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Friday night I was checking fluids on the wife's Rav4 before we headed out with her driving and me in the moving truck. Noticed a bit of residue on a cooling hose, went to wipe it off, and the damn T connector plastic broke and started spraying coolant all over me and my driveway.

All my tools were packed and I was at a loss for what to do. I called a mobile mechanic I found online, and was able to find the hose/connector was in stock at Autozone down the road so I went and grabbed it. The guy finally got back to me and told me to venmo him $200 before he showed up and then after the first hour it was $100/hour, no estimate given. Yeah F that.

Name:	62217185810__1A5FF355-AFCF-4AB2-BADD-782EACFC524C.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	341146

So I dug through a couple boxes and the toolbox, found what I needed, and went to work at 9pm running on 5 hours of sleep and a 10 hour work day.

Name:	IMG_2934.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	341147

I had to grab a new hose clamp before I could finish the next morning. Drove the car around town running errands before packing the moving truck, topped off the coolant a couple times, and all was well.

Name:	IMG_2935.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	341148

Then I rolled out headed for Colorado in the Penske truck Sunday morning. "Engine shut down" light/warning came on just before the top of Soldier Summit and I spent 4 hours waiting and wondering if I'd make it to SLC. Luckily a friend was passing by and brought me some food, good conversation, and doggy pets. Mechanic cleared the code but it came right back, but I convinced Penske rep to get me towed all the way to Montrose (4+ hours) so I could sign on my house the next morning and not have to repack a 26' box truck.

Fuck modern diesels and all their bullshit sensors. Just had to get that out there.

Name:	IMG_2916.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	341149

Tow truck driver was super nice and my sometimes asshole heeler loves riding in trucks, so he was pretty content riding in the sleeper.

Name:	62233107657__EF6FC439-34F6-4611-A624-068370ADAAC2.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	341151

Rolled in to Montrose 11.5 hours after I left SLC (normally a 5:15ish drive) and made quite the entrance to my new hood.

Name:	IMG_2921.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	341152

The day I closed on my house I also had to solve a leaking water hose on the fridge. I need a fuggin break.
    Best TR in a while.