Page 177 of 236 FirstFirst ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Worn shift fork
    And or the rail it rides on

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Yea really wish I had a 1/2" impact for jobs exactly like this
    I've got all of the stuff you need except a 4 point lift.

I wish.

And a huge garage to work in.

Although I'd shop around some. It sure is nice to give it to a mechanic and get it back done, skipping the inevitable headaches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221202_161139_01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	4364883 hours, 2 zip ties , folded up card board as a wedge and at least 30 MF'er later I have a new serp belt, tensioner and alternator. This damn thing tested my cheapness.

I pray an early and painful death to the engineer who designed Touregs to take off the grill, most of the bumper and the entire headlight assembly to change a low beam. 3 hours, 4 beers and several new cussword phrases in the cold to replace 2 headlights. FmL

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I thought I would drive my beater to work today before my youngest gets home for the holidays and needs it to cruise around. Well, F-me ! Misfire on cylinder 1, I thought I had this sorted out a few months back. I pop the hood and the whole windshield cowl drain area is jam packed with leaves. My guess is I have a repeat of my last issue, when it rains it doesn't drain away , it overruns into the top of the cylinder head and water fills the spark plug area causing misfire(s). I did have it parked for a few days on a sloped driveway and it always rains here. I'll know when I get home and pull the coil.

Some day I'll get around to making the windshield protector I've been thinking about for almost 40 years It will have magnetic strips top and bottom so it sticks to the roof and hood. It will keep snow and ice from being a problem and in the fall will stop all those leaves from blocking the drains. I've had too many ice storm mornings where it takes 20 minutes or more to clear it sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Some day I'll get around to making the windshield protector I've been thinking about for almost 40 years It will have magnetic strips top and bottom so it sticks to the roof and hood. It will keep snow and ice from being a problem and in the fall will stop all those leaves from blocking the drains. I've had too many ice storm mornings where it takes 20 minutes or more to clear it sufficiently.
    They make those...

They do? I mean, it's not like I've been looking for one but I haven't seen them. I hate when other people make good money with my ideas. lol

So the motor in my van is shot, bad rocker led to worn cam which led to a couple of other problems. The thing sounds like shit especially on cold startup when it knocks and bangs like a drum circle. It is amazing how well it still runs when it warms up but the noise when accelerating or going uphill is awesome. I was going to try to make it better but when the knocking started before I could put the parts money together I looked for other options. Every mechanic I spoke to says the same thing, used motors are cheaper than trying to fix a turd and at $3k installed for an 80-90k mile motor they're probably right. Maybe as I'm working to put that much together I'll get lucky and find one wrecked from a rear ender and get the whole front subframe with motor and tranny (and a bunch of other good stuff).

We had talked about quality torx bits and sockets not too long ago, if these are as good as they say they are the price is pretty good and you can buy onesies rather than sets. https://www.geniustoolsusa.com/geniu...o-3460s30.html

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    I pray an early and painful death to the engineer who designed Touregs to take off the grill, most of the bumper and the entire headlight assembly to change a low beam. 3 hours, 4 beers and several new cussword phrases in the cold to replace 2 headlights. FmL

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Your engine bay is making my OCD go off. I'll be right over to detail it.

I’m hoping that yours isn’t a 2004, this guy takes 46 seconds to remove the headlight…

https://youtu.be/ai6JtJC2wg0

If anyone is interested. This is what I do, but I use an old Oral B toothbrush and used toothbrush heads to clean the tightest spots.

Tool questions for anyone in the know here. I'm planning on doing a timing belt replacement on a couple Honda V6 motors in the spring. I'm a TB virgin but pretty confident I can handle it. The major challenge I have is loosening the crank bolt . Obviously everyone knows about the Milwaukie 2670 monster but I don't want to spend $400. Home Depot currently has a Milwaukie 1/2" impact and power ratchet set for $200 with a breakaway rating of 650 pounds.
    On a Honda forum the opinion is a no go with that thing but the folks their basically drink their own coolaide and repeat what the next guys says without any experience.
    Anyone here have any hands on experience with something like this ?
    Do they rent tools like this ? I literally need it for 30 seconds to loosed the crank bolt.

I got a basic, corded, Bauer from HF a while back and it's handled everything I've asked it to, not just on cars. I think it's rated for 1k ft/lb breakaway and it cost under $100. I don't think the auto parts stores here rent impact tools. Before I got this thing I'd use a 6' pipe over a solid breaker bar to do the tough stuff but that's the ghetto solution I'm prone to :shrug:

What's the tightening spec on the bolt?

I've got a cheap DeWalt cordless impact, and while it's certainly not as powerful as the pricier ones, it seems to come at least pretty close to the published specs as long as it's got a full charge on a big battery (the smallest 20V batteries apparently don't provide enough current for it to max out even when fully charged). So I'd expect a Milwaukee rated to 650 foot lbs of breakaway power to come pretty close, and I'd also expect it to be capable of breaking just about any fastener I wanted to remove.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    What's the tightening spec on the bolt?

I've got a cheap DeWalt cordless impact, and while it's certainly not as powerful as the pricier ones, it seems to come at least pretty close to the published specs as long as it's got a full charge on a big battery (the smallest 20V batteries apparently don't provide enough current for it to max out even when fully charged). So I'd expect a Milwaukee rated to 650 foot lbs of breakaway power to come pretty close, and I'd also expect it to be capable of breaking just about any fastener I wanted to remove.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app
    That's the big question. The crank bolt is under 200 pounds but most cordless impacts rated around 5-600 pounds don't seem to work busting it loose.
    I guess Honda crank bolt is well known in the auto in dustry for being tough to remove without a BF air gun and a weighted impact socket.

Does a crank pulley tool and a 3' breaker bar no longer work on Honda's?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have one for the Miata-san for the days it's not in the garage. Takes 30 seconds to install.
    Name:  51wzYGLd8bS._AC_SX569_.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  20.8 KB

Yeah and that Toureg engine bay is disgusting. Wtf dude.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Your engine bay is making my OCD go off. I'll be right over to detail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yeah and that Toureg engine bay is disgusting. Wtf dude.
    Engine bay shaming. What'll they think of next...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Does a crank pulley tool and a 3' breaker bar no longer work on Honda's?
    I would have to source a quality 1/2" breaker , I have broken a few crap ones on n other things. I have a couple 1/2" ratchets but a decent 1/2" cordless impact would be a nice addition, just not sure I want to spend $400.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I have a couple 1/2" ratchets but a decent 1/2" cordless impact would be a nice addition, just not sure I want to spend $400.
    Dude. Just do it. First off, you can easily justify it from one job alone due to the $$$ you'll save from not taking it to a shop. And then when you find yourself using it over and over and over again, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

When I was doing the brakes on my XC70 few years back, I had some particularly stubborn bolts that refused to break loose despite all my best efforts. Like you've experienced, I too was breaking tools. No amount of penetrant or heat was doing the trick either. After days of dicking around with the damn things, I sucked it up and sprung for the Milwaukee 1/2" impact. The big one. I think they claim something like 1400 lbs. Popped those bastards off like butter. Somehow, it doesn't ever seem to break bolts either. The only annoying thing about is when I can't use it in tighter spots. Might spring for a stubby one next, but so far this thing has just been an absolute champ.

Anyhoo, it popped my crank bolt off noooooo problem. FWIW, I put the transmission in 6th gear (it's a MT - if yours is an AT, then the parking gear pawl is probably enough) and had my kid step on the brakes for me just in case. Don't know if that made any difference, but the crankshaft didn't move at all and the bolt spun right off with zero drama. ...Get the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Dude. Just do it. First off, you can easily justify it from one job alone due to the $$$ you'll save from not taking it to a shop. And then when you find yourself using it over and over and over again, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

When I was doing the brakes on my XC70 few years back, I had some particularly stubborn bolts that refused to break loose despite all my best efforts. Like you've experienced, I too was breaking tools. No amount of penetrant or heat was doing the trick either. After days of dicking around with the damn things, I sucked it up and sprung for the Milwaukee 1/2" impact. The big one. I think they claim something like 1400 lbs. Popped those bastards off like butter. Somehow, it doesn't ever seem to break bolts either. The only annoying thing about is when I can't use it in tighter spots. Might spring for a stubby one next, but so far this thing has just been an absolute champ.

Anyhoo, it popped my crank bolt off noooooo problem. FWIW, I put the transmission in 6th gear (it's a MT - if yours is an AT, then the parking gear pawl is probably enough) and had my kid step on the brakes for me just in case. Don't know if that made any difference, but the crankshaft didn't move at all and the bolt spun right off with zero drama. ...Get the wrench.
    I was hoping the $200 Milwaukie solution would be sufficient and I can get a cordless power ratchet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...22RH/313668275

I was hoping the $200 Milwaukie solution would be sufficient and I can get a cordless power ratchet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...22RH/313668275
    Don't bother with that one. Only has 450 lbs. That's weak sauce for a proper impact.

If you need the battery too, then this is the one you seek:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-21B/312012941

You can save a hundred bucks if you need the tool-only version. Trust me on this one. My brother bought the 450 lb version you're looking at and it did NOT cut it. He upgraded to the 1400 lb model and couldn't be happier. I used his former one too, and yeah. It struggled with even medium duty work. Waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Don't bother with that one. Only has 450 lbs. That's weak sauce for a proper impact.

If you need the battery too, then this is the one you seek:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-21B/312012941

You can save a hundred bucks if you need the tool-only version. Trust me on this one. My brother bought the 450 lb version you're looking at and it did NOT cut it. He upgraded to the 1400 lb model and couldn't be happier. I used his former one too, and yeah. It struggled with even medium duty work. Waste of money.
    I also see these are pretty well rated for $249 with battery at Lowes right now with a decent battery warranty. I don't need anything crazy, just be able to bust the crank bolt, tire swap and occasional suspension work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c3DGKwMDQ4

I don't need anything crazy, just be able to bust the crank bolt, tire swap and occasional suspension work.
    ]
    Which is why I went with a corded one. Stronger for less but it overheats and shuts down after like 8 seconds of ineffective ugga duggas but 5 or so seconds and it's good to go again so not too bad but annoying and it isn't adjustable so if I did it again I'd look for more features and spend more than $79 at HF.