Page 113 of 234 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 5831
    Not rolling it down the red carpet at Barrett-Jackson or anything.
    I think I will just leave it and make note of when it was replaced.
    Thought it would be cool to have the display show true engine age, but it is easy enough to subtract and figure it out.

The title shows no mileage, so it really isn't a big deal.

Anyone here have a 3rd gen 4Runner?

Recently have been experiencing some idling/stall issues.. but it seems to be fuel related. Read somewhere that "bad fuel" can cause the engine to stall when idling..
    Was driving the 4runner around and she was runnin fine, filled up at a gas station and after filling up had the troubles with stalling when idling..

What could this be related to bad gas? I have read new fuel line, new fuel pump, dirty throttle body, new throttle body sensor? Want to get rid of the problem and be able to use whatever gas is available at the station, but don't want to replace everything.. cleaning the throttle body and new throttle body sensor should be pretty easy and cheap fixes.. but the fuel lines/pump on the other hand..

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ditto
    This, I hate seeing cara with fucked up odometer with lame excuses. It you ever want to sell it you don't want any red flags like this.

Not sure what all you have rebuilt, but the reality is the 'vehicle' has as many miles as odo reads.
    Also, is that even legal? I mean I could see with a full teardown resto but......

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    This spring / summer was my first time ever wrenching on cars. Wrenched on bikes, do all my own ski work, but cars always freaked me out.

But I decided it was time. Put my last stimulus check into getting the '90 miata running. I bought this car when I was 16 -- and it's been in the family the 19 years since (e.g. I gave it to my mother when I went to college, grad school, etc and had no need for a car in a big city.) She neglected it -- just doing basics to keep it sorta running. I trailered it back a few years ago but didn't put more than a couple dozen miles on it in that time.

So I've been "baselining" it as folks seem to call it. Changed fluids and filters (oil, fuel, diff, trans, coolant, brake, clutch), fresh plugs and wires, rebuilt the shifter (new bushings, shift boots, insulation), new rotors and pads (rotors where a bitch to get off due to rust), and new tires. Found a used soft top to replace the original as well.

I've managed to get 3 of the 4 original (30 years + 115k mi) shocks and bump stops (which were completely gone) replaced. Last one is taking me down a rabbit hole. The shock mount has a captive nut welded into place that broke off when trying to remove the shock. It's easier to replace the whole lower A-arm than fix it. So I got a used arm to replace. Got 3 of the 4 bolts out, but last one is completely rust fuck into place. PB Blaster, BFH, propane torch, cordless impact wrench have all failed. Broke my 3/8" socket, 18" breaker bar trying to free it. Luckily my uncle-in-law is local and is a classic car nut with a full shop -- so I'll be going over there soon to try to get it out either with a big ass impact wrench or an axle grinder.

Anyway -- it's been a good learning experience. And fun to be back driving this up canyons to trail runs. This winter when it's not driven much I'll tackle a few slow oil leaks due to old gaskets, and replace timing belt/water pump. Or at least that's the plan.

A few pics from the process. A spare hand and problem solving brain of a friend have been real good to have.

Attachment 384721
    Attachment 384722
    Attachment 384723
    Hell yea man. Way to jump in with both feet. Has to feel pretty good getting a car you’ve had since HS up and road worthy. Those miatas are a blast to drive

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post

Recently have been experiencing some idling/stall issues.. but it seems to be fuel related. Read somewhere that "bad fuel" can cause the engine to stall when idling..
    Was driving the 4runner around and she was runnin fine, filled up at a gas station and after filling up had the troubles with stalling when idling..

What could this be related to bad gas? I have read new fuel line, new fuel pump, dirty throttle body, new throttle body sensor? Want to get rid of the problem and be able to use whatever gas is available at the station, but don't want to replace everything.. cleaning the throttle body and new throttle body sensor should be pretty easy and cheap fixes.. but the fuel lines/pump on the other hand..
    I don’t have Toyota specific diagnosis experience, but bad gas from a station is rare these days (unless you got it from a station that does more business selling cigs and alcohol to minors than fuel). it sounds like a fuel pump getting ready to shit the bed.

Should be seeing 40-50 psi at idle at the fuel rail. If it’s still sputtering at idle with good pressure, check out the throttle body and clean as necessary. Then replace TB sensor.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

I’ve had a ‘96 4Runner since 2014.

Does it run normally at high rpm? If not, replace your fuel filter. It’s a fairly easy job. Search t4r.org for details.

If it runs well except at idle, there might be water in your gas. Try adding water remover.

Has it thrown any codes?

I would be surprised if cleaning the throttle body and/or sensor make any difference. It’s more likely to be spark plug or coil related.

If it’s your fuel pump, it would probably refuse to start, or just cut out while you’re driving. I had to replace the pump on mine. It was a big job because you have to drop the tank.
    U.P.: up

Have you checked the idle air valve? Usually a smack with the handle of a screwdriver will get it unstuck temporarily. I had an Escape that had a sticky valve and would exhibit similar problems.

Just start with a bottle of dry gas, letting the truck idle will circulate and disperse it enough to fix it rather quickly if water is the problem. Could be a siezed fan clutch, alternator going out, rotten frame. Time to sell

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Hell yea man. Way to jump in with both feet. Has to feel pretty good getting a car you’ve had since HS up and road worthy. Those miatas are a blast to drive
    Yep -- sure is fun driving a slow car fast. Honestly I think cars are pretty cool but am a little bit mystified at those who want 400hp and eons of grip for street driving. But I guess I'm more of twisties guy than a straight line guy. Even without finding the limit of grip I can move pretty fast around corners to produce plenty of fun.

And yes -- never expected to have my first car 20 years later. Glad my parents had the forethought to encourage an "irresponsible" decision when I was young.

Next summer I get to be part of this crew for the Great Race. I'm sure it'll have some wrenching adventure stories: https://www.facebook.com/WTFGreatRace/

I don’t have Toyota specific diagnosis experience, but bad gas from a station is rare these days (unless you got it from a station that does more business selling cigs and alcohol to minors than fuel). it sounds like a fuel pump getting ready to shit the bed.

Should be seeing 40-50 psi at idle at the fuel rail. If it’s still sputtering at idle with good pressure, check out the throttle body and clean as necessary. Then replace TB sensor.
    Thanks, will look into this. After a quick search it seems there is no easy way to get a read on fuel pressure due to the fact that most fuel pressure kits require buying all individual parts and assembling and/or spending a decent amount of money..

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    I’ve had a ‘96 4Runner since 2014.

Does it run normally at high rpm? If not, replace your fuel filter. It’s a fairly easy job. Search t4r.org for details.

If it runs well except at idle, there might be water in your gas. Try adding water remover.

Has it thrown any codes?

I would be surprised if cleaning the throttle body and/or sensor make any difference. It’s more likely to be spark plug or coil related.

If it’s your fuel pump, it would probably refuse to start, or just cut out while you’re driving. I had to replace the pump on mine. It was a big job because you have to drop the tank.
    Yes runs normally at high RPMs, just low RPMs/idling have had troubles. But since running through that one "bad" tank of gas I haven't had it die on me unless I'm sitting somewhere idling for multiple minutes. The day I got the "bad gas" it would die on me at red lights.

I will try water remover and cleaning TB and maybe replace TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Have you checked the idle air valve? Usually a smack with the handle of a screwdriver will get it unstuck temporarily. I had an Escape that had a sticky valve and would exhibit similar problems.
    Have not checked idle air valve, will do so.

I got an Ultragauge when I got my RR and one of the things it reads in real time is fuel rail pressure. There are dozens of other things too... It was $100 really well spent. It's always plugged in and I have it run through a half dozen screens showing live values so I can monitor what's going on constantly. I think yourmomjustcalled uses one too, @bearcub you should get one or at least a reader that shows live values to help determine where your problem is.

Alright, I've done enough now that the job anxiety is nearly gone but it sure would be easier if we had a third car so if I disable it we're not fucked. I'm amassing the parts to do a whole bunch of stuff, front upper and lower control arms, ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends and rear hub and rose joints. I wish I had a lift and a friend that enjoys working on cars to help.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I got an Ultragauge when I got my RR and one of the things it reads in real time is fuel rail pressure. There are dozens of other things too... It was $100 really well spent. It's always plugged in and I have it run through a half dozen screens showing live values so I can monitor what's going on constantly. I think yourmomjustcalled uses one too, @bearcub you should get one or at least a reader that shows live values to help determine where your problem is.

Alright, I've done enough now that the job anxiety is nearly gone but it sure would be easier if we had a third car so if I disable it we're not fucked. I'm amassing the parts to do a whole bunch of stuff, front upper and lower control arms, ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends and rear hub and rose joints. I wish I had a lift and a friend that enjoys working on cars to help.
    I just want to say, as a former LR dealer tech from '04-'10, i really admire the work you're putting into this thing as a DD all while on a creeper in the driveway. bravo.

Creeper? Nah, I have an old yoga mat

Oh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants here with a yoga mat! I use an old tarp.

The Ultragauge looks really good, I have a Fixd scanner and it's not delivering on its promises, so the Ultragauge is looking really good now.

And I also wish there were a lift for home use, not too expensive and not too bulky because space is already at a premium in the garage/driveway. Getting the car on jack stands is not that bad, but I could do without it. It's the only reason I take the car to the tire place to get the tires rotated. They do it for free since I got the tires there, but that's the only thing they do to the car, which doesn't make the owner very happy (one time he did tell me that I should at least get some sort of service done to the car every now and then).

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Oh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants here with a yoga mat! I use an old tarp.
    You and your fancy coal mining friends. What would ye know of gala luncheons?

I use a towel on a crushed shell driveway. I really need to rethink that. yoga mat sounds like a good choice. God knows we have a few of those not being used.

For real luxury try a big sheet of cardboard and then an old yoga mat.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I just want to say, as a former LR dealer tech from '04-'10, i really admire the work you're putting into this thing as a DD all while on a creeper in the driveway. bravo.
    Where do you live dude? Like I mentioned, I'd love an extra pair of hands to help and one that knows what's up would be ideal.

My first car was a manual '93 Celica bought in '99. I abused it terribly (that poor clutch..) and wish I still had it. Thought my big bumpin' stereo system with 2x12" subs in the trunk would increase the value. Much to my surprise the sketchy roadside dealer actually asked me to remove it all.

An aside, my mother had it for a couple weeks while I was out of town and immediately bought a manual Boxster Convertable after remembering how fun it was to drive a quick little car after years stuck in SUVs.

I loved that car, and learned more driving skills that have translated to adulthood than I think I could have from the automatic Jettas or Jeeps that most of my HS friends were driving at the time.

The first few drives with my freshman college friends on dirt roads when I pulled an e-brake 180 certainly caused some concern, but by that time for me it was all controlled fun and games.

I miss that car. ..

So here’s a good one….Driving home yesterday afternoon, stock 15 Taco, rolled the two front windows down at a stoplight (power windows), and then every warning light lit up on the dash, speedometer stopped working, A/C stopped working, and can’t get windows up or back ones down. Nothing has changed as of this am……WTF?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Did it rain the day before?

I would start with battery and grounds and pray that it is that simple.

Wife's QX has an engine light on. Dealer says it is the Cat. Quoted us the equivalent of 1/3 of a really nice vacation to get it changed out.
    Obviously this can be done by any muffler shop, but what is the harm of letting it be for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Did it rain the day before?

I would start with battery and grounds and pray that it is that simple.
    No rain. Disconnected and cleaned battery, it’s about two years old……No change. My BIL is a mechanic and he said he has no idea what would cause all this…..He is currently en route with a code reader while I have a headache and am contemplating day drinking…..I’m praying for fuse/ relay issue but who fucking knows…..
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

^^^^^ your retired now seano, need something to keep you busy.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    No rain. Disconnected and cleaned battery, it’s about two years old……No change. My BIL is a mechanic and he said he has no idea what would cause all this…..He is currently en route with a code reader while I have a headache and am contemplating day drinking…..I’m praying for fuse/ relay issue but who fucking knows…..
    With the sudden onset maybe when putting the window down a wire got pinched/broke and grounded to something else? May be worth pulling door panels and looking for something obvious.

Newer cars have all sorts of body control computers and shit though so who knows...