Page 143 of 234 FirstFirst ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 5831
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Can I drain the system myself with easy to obtain tools? There isn't a shop around that will do it without hooking up to their machine and refilling it the same day it's drained for a minimum of $150.
    You should be able to rent the pump somewhere.
    Have you asked any shops if they will drain it so you can fix leaks, and then refill? Gotta be somebody that will do it.
    I ran the dye through mine. Have yet to pinpoint where the leaks are, but I assume it is just old gaskets. Pretty easy to recharge them these days, and a recharge on mine lasts a while (not being used though). I am going to start asking around at shops to see if they will dump and pump so I can fix it myself. Going to a Bronco event next Wednesday night and stuff like this is on the list to ask some of the more knowledgeable participants.

Yeah now that summer is here (and I'm older than I used to be) I need to make the AC work. Last year I had a guy pressure test it and one side drained and pressurized and held pressure but there's a block to the downstream side so we changed the valve that's deep inside the dashboard and that didn't help. The guy thinks it's the compressor but the kit with condenser, hoses and misc is under $500 so why not change everything.

440 miles today almost trouble free. Just driving along and *bong* Coolant Pump fault - Reduced engine performance - and the thing fell flat on it's face (like hitting slush and going over the tips). I pulled over and checked temp and that coolant was flowing through the reservoir then turned it off for a minute. When I turned it back on the code was gone and all was well.

Are you sure youre driving on the proper side of the road?

New caliper is in, it took two tries to get it bled right but it's working great now. Lubed that height sensor again and all seems to be well. Headin' out for another 900 mile road trip in the morning

Next is replacing the AC condenser and compressor before summer actually gets here. Can I drain the system myself with easy to obtain tools? There isn't a shop around that will do it without hooking up to their machine and refilling it the same day it's drained for a minimum of $150.
    I solved this problem by having the wife run into a deer. The system unfortunately drained itself into the atmosphere. All I had to do then was replace the evaporator, add some oil, and refill with with the proper amount of refrigerant stamped on the front of the car under the hood.

If you don't have the time to drive to Iowa and run down a whitetail deer to vent it into the atmosphere accidentally (you shouldn't) - I think you would be stuck going to a shop to get it drained.

Plenty of people do just vent it though. 37,500 fine per incident and a 10,000 reward to anyone turning you in. Not recommended.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah. Not worth venting it when you can simply rent the vacuum setup from AutoZone or wherever. I've done it before. Small machine with a handle about the size of a shoe box and totally did the trick. Easy job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    Are you sure youre driving on the proper side of the road?
    LOL!

I'll have to go see if the local AZ or Advance has that tool to rent.

Damn. It did it twice this morning. The second time I opened the bleed screw and it burped big time so I released all the pressure by opening the reservoir cap and it exhaled deeply and the coolant started flowing strongly. Could an air bubble have been trapped since I replaced those hoses in February and just showed up now because it got warm outside and it runs a few degrees warmer? Would a bubble make it look like the coolant pump is faulting? It seems to be better now.

Yup. Prolly had some air in there. Next time I do my coolant, I think I'm going to try out one of those fancy vacuum kits. They don't cost much and they supposedly make it easy to get all the air out. Anyone here use those?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yup. Prolly had some air in there. Next time I do my coolant, I think I'm going to try out one of those fancy vacuum kits. They don't cost much and they supposedly make it easy to get all the air out. Anyone here use those?

No. Fill it, run it till at temp, turn off and let cool. Fill and repeat.

I know some cars have a bleed valve somewhere but most cars just need some cycles. Just overfilling the overflow a bit and driving it for a few cycles accomplishes the same thing.

If you have a head gasket leak that will aerate your coolant with bubbles from exhaust gas bleeding through tbe gasket and cause the waterpump to cavitate leading to the symptoms he describes.

Or I had a HG leak push coolant out of the radiator into the overflow. Tell tale.

Hope that isn't it.

^ Yeah I'll grab a block tester from Advance Auto tomorrow and check the HG.

Nope it's not the head gasket, I did the test this morning and it passed. On to the gremlin chasing part now.

By a self burping coolant fill funnel on Amazon for about $20-30 and you should be able to get all the air out.

Actually it's looking like it might be the auxiliary coolant pump. Because it's a water cooled supercharger and alternator it has an electric backup. Apparently for a few vin series they wired them backwards so eventually they fail. Not having a service history for it I don't know if the TSB for the oops was done so there's a fair chance that's the problem. Even if it was rewired it's a 156k mile electric pump, would I be surprised if it went bad? No.

I think I have the Rover problem solved, we'll see. On to the Volvo... How do I definitely determine if the clicking in the front is the CV joint or something else? How do I determine which side it's coming from? The boots are fine but there's been an ugly single click when the pedal is released that has turned into a clickety thing if I accelerate with the wheel turned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220518_214716_01.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	416817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220519_040544032.MP.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	416818

A little switcharoo for the E36. I've been doing a few other things while it's up in the air (borrowed quickjacks) so I'll finish up in the morning.

I think I have the Rover problem solved, we'll see. On to the Volvo... How do I definitely determine if the clicking in the front is the CV joint or something else? How do I determine which side it's coming from? The boots are fine but there's been an ugly single click when the pedal is released that has turned into a clickety thing if I accelerate with the wheel turned.
    Turn steering to full lock in one direction, drive slowly in a circle with helper outside listening. Turn to opposite full lock, repeat. One side should sound louder.

A CV joint can fail with boots fully intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post

Name:	IMG_20220518_214716_01.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	416817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220519_040544032.MP.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	416818

A little switcharoo for the E36. I've been doing a few other things while it's up in the air (borrowed quickjacks) so I'll finish up in the morning.
    Ooh, nice! Make sure to post pics of the post-op. That new exhaust looks sick.

Thanks El Chup.

920 effortless (trouble free) miles in 2 days. Red Rover roamin' round Upstate NY at 18mpg I wore out another set of front brake pads and the tires are only good on dry pavement now

Thanks El Chup.

920 effortless (trouble free) miles in 2 days. Red Rover roamin' round Upstate NY at 18mpg I wore out another set of front brake pads and the tires are only good on dry pavement now
    Why would you ever type this ? Do you really want to fuck with Arthur the god of British auto troubles for a xmas tree light show on your dash accompanied with non stop bing bong audio ? First rule of fight club.............................................. .......

Well, guess the caliper has seen better days. Day 2 of a rotor/pad replacement. Fingers crossed the old brake line is ok.

Name:	caliper.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	416940
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

And now for something completely different...

32 gallon tank is large. This whole truck is a freaking beast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220516_195243-4K.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	416995  

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Why would you ever type this ? Do you really want to fuck with Arthur the god of British auto troubles for a xmas tree light show on your dash accompanied with non stop bing bong audio ? First rule of fight club.............................................. .......
    Amen... and why the fuck didn't you sell it while it was actually working?!!!

Well my Toyota Yaris engine shit the bed. I think too many daughters driving it and not checking the oil. Compression is 180,180,120,80. Oof. Debating scraping it and getting $750 (bc scrapit program will give me money for an ebike ive already purchased) or buying a used engine (stock, $1000) and installing it. I don't have a shop so an engine swap could suck. I've heard the 1zzge and 2zzge (1.8l 140 hp, 180hp celica gt & gts engine) engines bolt right in same bell housing and motor mounts. That would be a fun car.

4 trips to 2 different OReiliys since yesterday and at 11 pm it's a success.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    A life of living dangerously
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Amen... and why the fuck didn't you sell it while it was actually working?!!!
    Nobody wants it.