Page 207 of 236 FirstFirst ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Jesus. If your filter is so tight that wrenching it off with a screwdriver pounded through it at a right angle isn't working you've got bigger problems than the remains of a filter.
    Sounds like his buddy must've had his oil changed at Wal-Mart or one of those quick lube places. I don't know what's wrong with those guys, but apparently they think it's best to over-tighten the ever living hell out of filters and hit the drain plugs with an impact wrench for good measure.

Wal-Mart oil tech be like:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QX-QJZq6iy0

Drivers seat in the 2000 Tj was trashed like all TJ driver seats. I scored a nice set for $250 out of a 2005 and put them in. Only 8 bolts, no rust. Guess which one snapped. Number 8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Jeep Seats.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	824.2 KB 
ID:	460356
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Drivers seat in the 2000 Tj was trashed like all TJ driver seats. I scored a nice set for $250 out of a 2005 and put them in. Only 8 bolts, no rust. Guess which one snapped. Number 8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Jeep Seats.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	824.2 KB 
ID:	460356
    Undertaking a similar project with Mr. Myagi, my old FJ40. His seats from 1969 are a bit haggard so I'm welding up a frame for a new set of Procar Rally seats.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Sounds like a plan. Welding is a skill I lack. My swap was plug and play until it wasn't. I should have put some heat on the bolt to soften the 20 year old factory thread locker.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Had to go that route on an old truck once that a prior owner had gone a little overboard with. Was saving that for a last resort here, but the below "persuader" that I put together took care of it. Made sure was at the correct tightness this year and accounted for all the gaskets.

Attachment 460325
    I bet the filter was smashed after torquing on it with that.. Most of my whips don't have that much room on either side of the filter.. Something LIKE the screwdriver that allows for pushing and pulling from both sides opposite directions would be a nice new tool idea.. Assuming it doesn't already exist.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I bet the filter was smashed after torquing on it with that.. Most of my whips don't have that much room on either side of the filter.. Something LIKE the screwdriver that allows for pushing and pulling from both sides opposite directions would be a nice new tool idea.. Assuming it doesn't already exist.
    Yeah, I've often wondered why there isn't a better filter wrench solution out there. Chevy 6.0s are a great example of a recessed filter that doesn't allow for a lot of mechanical help.

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Always wondered why more manufacturers didn’t put a welded hex nut on the top of the filter. K&N does, not sure how many others. Certainly not the brand the local auto parts store stocks.

Well, i Have a filter wrench (couple diff sizes) that you slide on top of the filter, and it lets you attach a ratchet, extension, breaker bar, or any combo of. They seem to work pretty darn well.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Well, i Have a filter wrench (couple diff sizes) that you slide on top of the filter, and it lets you attach a ratchet, extension, breaker bar, or any combo of. They seem to work pretty darn well.
    Yup. That's often the only way to get the one on my F150 off as you can't get meaningful leverage any other way.

I have one cause it’s needed for the Sienna cartridge style filter, and conveniently it fits the Mazda’s regular style filter as well - except for last weekend when I found out Mazda changed their filter size…

Had one where I couldn’t get it off even with the tool, it just rounded off the filter. No space to get a strap wrench on. Thought about puncturing it with the screwdriver - but then pictured the car getting towed to a garage when that failed. So filled it back up and drove to the garage. They just crushed it with some pliers and spun it off. Nice enough not to charge me for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Yeah, I've often wondered why there isn't a better filter wrench solution out there. Chevy 6.0s are a great example of a recessed filter that doesn't allow for a lot of mechanical help.

Hastings filters have a nut on the back like K&N filters, I've always thought they were made by Hastings, I could be wrong though.
    My go to for stuck filters is a big pair of Channel Locks but I've got a bunch of filter wrenches that will usually work before going to extremes.
    I just serviced one of the Sheriffs department boats with D6 Volvo Penta's, 44 quarts of oil, 4 oil filters, 4 water separators, and 2 fuel filters. I thought they had made it without hitting anything since I last serviced it 200 hours ago but they did bend a set of props, their bill is usually much higher..

There are oil filter pliers too, if you have a stuck one and a little space to work with. Much better than shoving a screwdriver through the filter - tried that once, made a big mess and then had jagged filter metal to deal with.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oil-fi...YaAo6fEALw_wcB
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have a 3 pronged one similar to this
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...&gclsrc=aw.ds& It almost always works.

Got one it still slips off downward.. helps to put a rag over the filter between the filter and cup thing

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There are oil filter pliers too, if you have a stuck one and a little space to work with.
    Go those too. They totally crush the filter.. If it doesn't come loose at that point you're fucked.

Undertaking a similar project with Mr. Myagi, my old FJ40. His seats from 1969 are a bit haggard so I'm welding up a frame for a new set of Procar Rally seats.

Just swapped these in the Bronco. 6 way power on the drivers side. 3/16 plate steel mounted to the original seat mount. Still messing around with the height, but pretty damn good for $50 a seat plus about $50-60 in metal and grade 8 bolts.

Once I get the height dialed, I will get the plates welded to the seat mounts.

Sweet. From an Eddie Bauer? They look like the ones from my old boss's truck. I put old Nissan Stanza minivan seats on swivel bases in my old CJ5 after driving it cross country with the old military seats. Oooooohhhh so sweet but yeah, height was a challenge especially the driver's side where the gas tank is under the seat brace. Yes it is inside, sketched me out when ashes would drop...

^^^Luxury livin right there...
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Just swapped these in the Bronco. 6 way power on the drivers side. 3/16 plate steel mounted to the original seat mount. Still messing around with the height, but pretty damn good for $50 a seat plus about $50-60 in metal and grade 8 bolts.

3/16" steel plates? I knew Florida was crazy but I didn't know about the IEDs!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Sweet. From an Eddie Bauer? They look like the ones from my old boss's truck. I put old Nissan Stanza minivan seats on swivel bases in my old CJ5 after driving it cross country with the old military seats. Oooooohhhh so sweet but yeah, height was a challenge especially the driver's side where the gas tank is under the seat brace. Yes it is inside, sketched me out when ashes would drop...
    Yup, my FJ40 has the same sketchy configuration. I've thought about putting a tank under the vehicle but I despise working with fuel systems.

Maybe I DO need those steel plates!

Just noticed the Kilmats on the roof. I'm about to plaster those suckers on Myagi's floor with marine carpet, as the 5.3L and headers are deafening in that cab. To top it off, Toyota always has that high pitched transfer case, just to make sure you get the lows AND highs.

97 Benz with short lived IR remote technology key has shit the bed. They don't make the switch blade/fob anymore, not that I would pay $4-500 for it. I'm reduced to using the valet key since the second one died many years ago. In the finest Euro engineering the driver side does not had e key hole, just the IR receiver so I need to walk over to the passenger side since the valet key doesn't open the trunk. according to Benzworld a $20 Amazon remote that only requires tapping into 4 wires will address this problem.
    Hoping this goes as planned since nothing I've touched recently has been smooth.

Daughter's Honda Fit has gotten the full stamp of approval post A/C repairs and new stereo/entertainment system.. She's blinging it out with stickers and accents to match her personal vibe. Makes me happy that she's happy with it now and not shopping for another car.

Just noticed the Kilmats on the roof. I'm about to plaster those suckers on Myagi's floor with marine carpet, as the 5.3L and headers are deafening in that cab. To top it off, Toyota always has that high pitched transfer case, just to make sure you get the lows AND highs.

Did the whole interior and then laid down some MLV- Mass Loaded Vinyl and heat formed it to the cab using my heat gun.
    Makes a big difference. I could have bought the carpet with the MLV attached, but I heard it was tough to work with. This method worked great. The heat formed MLV let the carpet go right in place. You just have to cut around the holes and put the bolts in under the carpet- then cut or melt a hole around the bolt. I used a heated up socket to melt a perfect hole right on top of each bolt. Heads up- I started this project with the 80mm Kilmat, which they don't make anymore. You can only get the 100mm on Amazon anymore. The 100 mm is pretty darn thick. Sq ft coverage was the same, just more $$.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    No, these are from a Honda Odyssey. They looked so close to the original leather EB seats. We got super lucky. These were sitting at the JY for pickup, and the guy never showed. $100 for the set. I am going to get them reupholstered, and have the EB logo embroidered in eventually. For now I think they look pretty period correct. Captains chair arm was the key.

Did the whole interior and then laid down some MLV- Mass Loaded Vinyl and heat formed it to the cab using my heat gun.
    Makes a big difference. I could have bought the carpet with the MLV attached, but I heard it was tough to work with. This method worked great. The heat formed MLV let the carpet go right in place. You just have to cut around the holes and put the bolts in under the carpet- then cut or melt a hole around the bolt. I used a heated up socket to melt a perfect hole right on top of each bolt. Heads up- I started this project with the 80mm Kilmat, which they don't make anymore. You can only get the 100mm on Amazon anymore. The 100 mm is pretty darn thick. Sq ft coverage was the same, just more $$.

Dude, that is incredible. You're going to have the nicest OBS Bronco on the planet.