Page 186 of 236 FirstFirst ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 5882
    ^apologies, was confused on which car this was. I forgot you bought a non running Volvo to fix up

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^apologies, was confused on which car this was. I forgot you bought a non running Volvo to fix up
    Haha. No worries. Easy to lose track at this point. It IS the exact same engine, the 2.5L B5254T12, thus my overconfidence in tackling another one. Thank goodness my C30's still running beautifully. I would probably cry if the pic above was on that car after all the hassle it took to fix that one. So far, the S60's hella easier.

Wow. When the say interference engine, Volvo really means it.

Yours is a 19 valve engine or did one survive the boxing match with the piston?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I’d love to do a failure analysis on that motor

This thread will be fun reading when we’re all wrenching BEV’s in our driveway with software patches and dealing with stupid cooling designs etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Wow. When the say interference engine, Volvo really means it.
    No kidding!!! Sheesh! I was expecting bent valves but not quite to THIS degree!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yours is a 19 valve engine or did one survive the boxing match with the piston?
    Haha. Nice catch. I actually left that 20th valve with my machinist as a trophy of sorts or in case he wanted to post a video about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    I’d love to do a failure analysis on that motor
    I think I've figured it out. Found the remnants of a shattered belt tensioner. Apparently these tensioners tend to fail sooner than the belts do so people on the forums recommend changing out your serpentine belts AND related tensioners at 80K instead of the manufacturer recommended 100K. Car's at about 106K so broke right on time! Haha. Well, whether it was the belt or the tensioner that broke first, the result was that the shredded belt ended up getting pulled into the crankshaft pulley, causing the timing belt to skip a few teeth, and voila. Super bent valves across the board! The shredded belt remnants also got wrapped around the CV boot so that got torn up and axle grease spun everywhere. Got that cleaned up and a new Volvo boot repair kit is on the way, so hopefully that takes care of that item. Looks easy to repair now that everything ELSE is out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    This thread will be fun reading when we’re all wrenching BEV’s in our driveway with software patches and dealing with stupid cooling designs etc
    Or an OTA update at midnight o' one bricks the car for the morning.

Been meaning to replace this for a while. Needed the snow to stop first. Got an Audi OEM replacement from rockauto for under $100

Took advantage of the warmer weather do do an oil change. Pretty nice feeling getting it done without a single drop of oil on the driveway or garage floor. I don't get to say that often.

Heh, my driveway is a mess.

The motor is out hoping the replacement shows up today so I went and salvaged the good parts. When I opened it up to see how many bad rockers there were I found 2 and two bad cams. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXtt2kYybVdyUAw1A The oil cooler is also starting to leak and the lower intake gasket on bank 2 was tweaked (explaining one of the intermittent codes it would throw). Someone was in there recently and replaced a few rockers (based on three bad lobes on one cam with good rockers) but pretty quickly after two more collapsed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230214_154346493.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1,011.5 KB 
ID:	447726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230214_154459326.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	447727

It was just a matter of time before it stranded me somewhere. It really was a ticking time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Heh, my driveway is a mess.

The motor is out hoping the replacement shows up today so I went and salvaged the good parts. When I opened it up to see how many bad rockers there were I found 2 and two bad cams. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXtt2kYybVdyUAw1A The oil cooler is also starting to leak and the lower intake gasket on bank 2 was tweaked (explaining one of the intermittent codes it would throw). Someone was in there recently and replaced a few rockers (based on three bad lobes on one cam with good rockers) but pretty quickly after two more collapsed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230214_154346493.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1,011.5 KB 
ID:	447726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230214_154459326.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	447727

It was just a matter of time before it stranded me somewhere. It really was a ticking time bomb.
    who is doing the R/R ?

The shop I've been going to for years. I speak enough Spanish and they speak enough English that we manage to communicate, they do pretty good work if it's mechanical rather than electrical and it's a "cash wins" kinda place. He also lets me work on shit and watch which is nice. The new tire place I found recently also encouraged me to get my hands dirty and help which I thought was cool.

Other than the rashed up cams, it doesn't look too sludged up, so someone has been changing the oil fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Other than the rashed up cams, it doesn't look too sludged up, so someone has been changing the oil fairly often.
    I think I'd want to know where that came material went. Especially if it's in the main bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I think I'd want to know where that came material went. Especially if it's in the main bearings.
    This is a Mexican job, let's not get fancy. Hopefully some combo of the filter, sump tray and oil pickup screen got it.

Hopefully.

I didn't get a pic but I pulled the oil pan too. At some point someone put a really strong magnet in there and it was covered with metal the same color as the cam lobes. Looks like they knew the motor was fucked.

We're off to a good start then. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I didn't get a pic but I pulled the oil pan too. At some point someone put a really strong magnet in there and it was covered with metal the same color as the cam lobes. Looks like they knew the motor was fucked.
    Will the shop do a thorough inspection of the "new" engine before installing it ? Al least pull the valve covers ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Al least pull the valve covers ?
    I'm pretty sure those are what's pulled in the picture

That's the old motor.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Will the shop do a thorough inspection of the "new" engine before installing it ? Al least pull the valve covers ?
    I don't think he's planning to. They get a guarantee from their seller and go with it.

I see this ending well.

Why? This shop replaces a couple of these motors a month. Between all the different ChryCo products that came with them this is pretty common. Bottom line is it's $15k cheaper than another used minivan and if I get 2 years out of it it will have been worth it.