Page 31 of 236 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

fwiw, when i pulled out the ignition coil with the spark plug "attached" to the coil, the spark plug fell through the engine bay and landed in the gunky splashpad. when i fished it out from the splashpad, it them fell to the ground. i think that's one reason why it's super gunky looking. are people seeing a lot of gunk in the hole, too? or threads even? Maybe my eyes are going, or not looking close enough.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 09-17-2018 at 07:10 PM.

are you **sure** it didn't lose the electrode and insulator when it was dropped twice?

Because maybe there wasn't anything in your cylinder ever....and all you have to do is just thread a new plug in. How dope would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    are you **sure** it didn't lose the electrode and insulator when it was dropped twice?

Because maybe there wasn't anything in your cylinder ever....and all you have to do is just thread a new plug in. How dope would that be?
    That would be GREAT! the ECU was throwing a misfire code for that cylinder.

I have no idea if the missing plug parts ended up in the head. This was the assessment of my neighbor. He knows what he’s doing, but his assessment is solely based on experience. He didn’t know observe any damage except for the apparently missing threads in the head.

I need to talk to a few of the auto shops to see what tools they rent out....

I was too enthralled with Bobbys brake fluid and pry bars to read much of some of the other stuff in here.

Like this spark plug fiasco. Sure sounds like there should be no threads left in that hole, but you're gonna need a plug anyway. See if it threads. I've seen a spark plug left loose - and when it finally ripped out the last bit of threads in the head, the plug broke the ignition coil off its mounting point (bolt and small piece of coil mount still in place) on its way out.

Also, always put a new plug in when replacing a coil. Also not a horrible idea to do all coils (and plugs) at the same time. Igniton system is pretty good place to invest in preventative maintenance. Let a misfire go long enough, and you will destroy the catalytic converter, aka $$$-$$$$ (the ones built into exhaust manifolds tend to be expensive).

So screw a plug in. Please. Clean threads as best you can then hook it up, fire it up, listen, then drive...
    Do you know how a tap works for cleaning/tapping threads?

It would appear that some new shit has come to light man. The plug likely got worse after 2 drops. Can't say I've ever seen one like that before.

I've turned enough bolts to know when I'm there.

Flowing, how's yer gig goin?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    So screw a plug in. Please. Clean threads as best you can then hook it up, fire it up, listen, then drive...
    Do you know how a tap works for cleaning/tapping threads?
    i've only tapped threads in a ski

Working on boats I've found heat to be a good friend in helping loosening anything stuck. A heat gun to warm things up can perform miracles. I use an OA torch a lot, but with all that grease under the truck I wouldn't advise an open flame.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Working on boats I've found heat to be a good friend in helping loosening anything stuck. A heat gun to warm things up can perform miracles. I use an OA torch a lot, but with all that grease under the truck I wouldn't advise an open flame.
    I hang out with a mechanic friend in rusty, rusty, rusty Michigan. I watch him undo rusty stuff a lot. Getting things red hot, hot enough to vigorously expand and contract metals at different rates, is the main thing he does with stuck hardware. It works great.

Because I had to go into town to get plugs (and any tools), I stopped by mechanic to get some free advise and give him a heads up about what may be coming in. He advised the same about trying to get a plug to seat, putting other stuff back together, and firing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Also, always put a new plug in when replacing a coil. Also not a horrible idea to do all coils (and plugs) at the same time. Igniton system is pretty good place to invest in preventative maintenance. Let a misfire go long enough, and you will destroy the catalytic converter, aka $$$-$$$$ (the ones built into exhaust manifolds tend to be expensive).
    Interestingly, Toyota’s OEM plug is an iridium plug. My understanding is that these motors will go through ignition coils more quickly than the designed life of the plugs. Since I’m going through this, I’ll be replacing all plugs, but was under the impression that the PM suggested is fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Because I had to go into town to get plugs (and any tools), I stopped by mechanic to get some free advise and give him a heads up about what may be coming in. He advised the same about trying to get a plug to seat, putting other stuff back together, and firing it up.

Interestingly, Toyota’s OEM plug is an iridium plug. My understanding is that these motors will go through ignition coils more quickly than the designed life of the plugs. Since I’m going through this, I’ll be replacing all plugs, but was under the impression that the PM suggested is fairly common.
    Worn spark plugs make the coil work harder to jump the gap. Plugs are cheap.

I'll second the recommendation to pick up a cheap borescope. I got this one off of Amazon for under $35. Used it again last weekend to check out the internals of one of our old Jet Skis before I turned them over a couple of weekends ago.

Worn spark plugs make the coil work harder to jump the gap. Plugs are cheap.
    agree and am seeing the light. i'm glad at least this part of the machine is easy to work on.

Replacing coils can get kinda pricey, mine are $120 each and the plugs are $30 each so $600 for a plug change is a bit excessive. I'm over 100k on the originals so they're going to get changed soon but lifting the engine to do it is a big PITA so I've been procrastinating.

bw- If you need to pull the head, you may want to consider resleeving the block...matter of fact, if your bore's scuffed and those dimple-looking things on your piston aren't supposed to be there...then you are faced with the question of a full overhaul, or buttoning it back up with a can of restore and a bottle of gorilla snot and selling it to a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Replacing coils can get kinda pricey, mine are $120 each and the plugs are $30 each so $600 for a plug change is a bit excessive. I'm over 100k on the originals so they're going to get changed soon but lifting the engine to do it is a big PITA so I've been procrastinating.
    I get it.. hence the term investing in preventative maintenance. Also, for the ones that are a PITA to access, less cussing later. But hey, I've only been a tech for 16 years, what do I know.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

The plugs on my lady’s 350Z lasted 143,200 miles before they started throwing P030x codes. Was on the 105K maintenance list... Zero electrode showing on a couple.
    Definitely a PITA to change.
    Ran Much Better.

Yup I think mine are listed at 100k.

I get it.. hence the term investing in preventative maintenance. Also, for the ones that are a PITA to access, less cussing later. But hey, I've only been a tech for 16 years, what do I know.
    Yeah I get it. Soon...

I usually don't touch plugs or coils until I have a problem. I generally buy cheap vehicles and beat on them until I notice something is wrong. Hasn't failed me yet. But, what do I know. I'm just a backyard shadetree mechanic hack.

I have been using the KISS approach for the past 20 years. Just leave it alone until it breaks. You really start to adopt this approach if you go full redneck back yard hack and refuse to go to a mechanic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Friends follow that approach by also buying only salvaged titled vehicles.

A lot of tightly wound turbo motors like copper plugs, and they like them every 3k miles. My mr2 turbo was like that, and so is my 944 turbo.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    I usually don't touch plugs or coils until I have a problem. I generally buy cheap vehicles and beat on them until I notice something is wrong. Hasn't failed me yet. But, what do I know. I'm just a backyard shadetree mechanic hack.

I have been using the KISS approach for the past 20 years. Just leave it alone until it breaks. You really start to adopt this approach if you go full redneck back yard hack and refuse to go to a mechanic.

That's the truth! Although I find a spare beater available makes this approach a little less stressful.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    That's the truth! Although I find a spare beater available makes this approach a little less stressful.
    True. If I break my transportation I can always borrow my wife's car.

You learn quickly when you do your own automotive and home repair to not mess with things when they work unless you're willing to spend way more time and money than you thought you would.

Update. No threads in the head. I tried to thread-in a spark plug. Nothing.

Heil-Coil. But I'd chase the treads with a tap first and see if it looked ok and held the right torque #

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...xoCw0oQAvD_BwE
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Yea. There are no threads. The plug smoothly goes all the way to the bottom of the hole, where it would normally seat after tightening.