Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 231 232 233 234 235 236
Results 5,876 to 5,882 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Crutchfield is kinda like REI. You either pay out the nose and get your new kicks from the store and pay an extra 30% or you try them on in the store and buy them cheaper elsewhere.

Route 1. Crutchfield will lay out everything you need, add it to the cart and just check out.

Route 2. Crutchfield will lay out everything you need. Copy and paste the part numbers into the Googles and pick them up elsewhere.

I like eBay for head units. You can typically get last years model or a refurbished form about half the price.

I like Amazon for the small bits that are mass produced. Wiring harnesses, trim finishers, etc.

I'll just do a general search for anything I'm missing, like the steering wheel control or amp adapter.

As for the install process, I guarantee there's a Tundra Gravity Research site where someone has already done this and documented it thoroughly.

The 12 Volt also has comprehensive wiring information and pinouts.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay...asp?tid=115202
    You're not wrong - and that's the route I usually take as well. But if you have never installed a car stereo yourself, I think Crutchfield provides the most help and best instructions, and that has a value.

Buzz, you'll also need basic electrical tools - wire cutter, stripper, and small wire gauge butt connectors (18-20 GA). Or solder and heat shrink, if that's your preference. Do not just twist wires together and tape them, and do not use wire nuts intended for household solid core wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Guys. I get it. I'm not anti Crutchfield. I'm just throwing out my own method.

Also, Buzz, I have all the tools. You're welcome to borrow them.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Buzz, you'll also need basic electrical tools - wire cutter, stripper, and small wire gauge butt connectors (18-20 GA). Or solder and heat shrink, if that's your preference. Do not just twist wires together and tape them, and do not use wire nuts intended for household solid core wire.
    Is all that really still the case if you get one of those slick premade wiring harnesses? Was perusing Crutchfield and their kits seem pretty plug-and-play. Looks REALLY easy on the Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Is all that really still the case if you get one of those slick premade wiring harnesses? Was perusing Crutchfield and their kits seem pretty plug-and-play. Looks REALLY easy on the Tundra.
    This, always this. Premade harnesses will make it a much easier diy process. Chances are if you have to ask here for advice splicing factory wires might cause some hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This, always this. Premade harnesses will make it a much easier diy process. Chances are if you have to ask here for advice splicing factory wires might cause some hiccups.
    Never splice factory wires, unless you bought a used truck and the prior owner butchered it.

There will always be an aftermarket harness that plugs right into the factory plug(s). If you aren't adapting steering wheel controls, this will be cheap - like $10-15. If you need an interface that adapts steering wheel controls it'll be more expensive, like $75-150.

The aftermarket stereo will come with its own harness. You'll need to splice that harness into the aftermarket one that plugs into your vehicle. Or you can buy the pre-made one from Crutchfield, but honestly, this is a very easy job - wire it together on the bench, then just go plug it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Another vote for Crutchfield. ALso makes it way easier to replace your radio if the new one dies, or to put the factory one back in when you sell the rig. Don't butcher factory wiring. I've got a rat's nest of splices in my van from a professionally installed security system that I'm just waiting to go haywire someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Guys. I get it. I'm not anti Crutchfield. I'm just throwing out my own method.

Also, Buzz, I have all the tools. You're welcome to borrow them.
    I appreciate the other perspective. And the offering of needed tools and I’ll take you up on that. I’ve got to put a little money away to get this moving but I do spend over an hour a day commuting. This is a small investment for future comfort and enjoyment on the road.

Easier with all the gizmos ready to go sounds like a better plan than making it more difficult for a few less bucks.