Page 123 of 234 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 5831
    Plasma cutter ftw.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Message received. No torch.

Just to confirm, no matter how sharp a blade I hack at this shit with, I won't be doing notable damage to the drive shaft?

I'm ready to go to town, but don't want to risk damaging $$ parts under the fkn toy parachute...

Those 2 lines are aluminum guys, thats not exactly a metal used for brakes or fuel.

Theyre the refrigerant lines to the rear evaporator.

Hopefully the carrier bearing isnt underneath all that mess, although it looks like it could be one i have yet to set foot under our ‘16 awd

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Just to confirm, no matter how sharp a blade I hack at this shit with, I won't be doing notable damage to the drive shaft?

I'm ready to go to town, but don't want to risk damaging $$ parts under the fkn toy parachute...
    Only thing damaged will be your knuckles. Over/under on f-bombs launched during the process is 30.

Worst case is you cut through the paint. A squirt of Krylon and it's all good.

There are the hooked razor blades that might make it a bit easier? Can't say I've ever used one to hack away at a parachute wrapped around a driveshaft though.

Edit: Or a push razor scraper?

What if you headed up piece of scrap metal and tried to just melt through the fabric?

^^ This but heat a blade. A hot knife through butter and all of that...

Unless that is some kind of weird ballistic fabric a regular old razor knife will do the job just fine. You’ll never cut into a drive shaft with one or damage it more than the shit that bounces off of it every day when the car goes down the road.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Thinking outside the box since I don't have experience with parachute wrapped propeller shafts but I did jump out of an airplane once. Assuming your wife ran over it going forward try driving the van switch to the road while she tugs on the ripcord. Pull firmly till release.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 11-30-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    your wife tugs firmly till release.
    Uhh, fify ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

So..

Two days ago wife told me her '15 sienna is "rattling".

I took it for a drive, and holy shit! Above 20mph this shis is more than a rattle.

Finally got it up to look underneath and there were two issues.

#1: Easy. Buncha gravel caught up under a plastic skid plate.

Gravel removed.

#2: Harder than it should be, and fkn ridiculous.

A 5' kids parachute toy has somehow managed to wrap itself around the driveshaft, clunking its way against the underbody every rotation..

I got after it with scissors and a box cutter, but can't seem to get it all off.

My instict is to burn the fucker out with a propane torch, but therein lies my question.

I don't know enough about the underbelly of these Siennas.

Can I put a torch on the driveshaft without fucking anything else up?

(Except myself... trust me, I'm being VERY careful around fire!)

What's next??Attachment 394524Attachment 394525

If you had a knife in your pocket you could have cut it off in less time than it took to ask this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Uhh, fify ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It can't hurt to try. Better than burning the van down.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    If you had a knife in your pocket you could have cut it off in less time than it took to ask this question.
    Pics were after 20 min of hacking away with box cutter/ scissors.

Don't own any knives I'd like to scrape against the driveshaft, and assume if I did they'd be dull as fuck after one or two swipes.

Going after it again this afternoon with a fresh blade in the box cutter. Wish it wasn't getting dark around here at fkn 4pm.

Fuck daylight savings

Pics were after 20 min of hacking away with box cutter/ scissors.

Don't own any knives I'd like to scrape against the driveshaft, and assume if I did they'd be dull as fuck after one or two swipes.

Going after it again this afternoon with a fresh blade in the box cutter. Wish it wasn't getting dark around here at fkn 4pm.

Fuck daylight savings
    Create tension on the fabric. It'll be much easier to cut.

So last week I finally tackled my strut job on my XC70. That job was NOT fun. Learned the XC's coils have a metric butt ton of travel. Took 3 pairs of spring compressors to get the job done, and also had to basically dissect the entire front end, down to removing the freaking control arms to get JUST enough clearance to remove the old strut set. Freaking pain in the balls. NOW I completely understand the astronomical quotes I was seeing. However, now I have a fly new pair of Bilsteins in there and it drives like a brand new car again. Truly is remarkable the difference in ride quality. Bad thing is I apparently tore a CV boot in the process and flung axle grease everywhere, but I was freaking done dicking around so I just threw my hands up in defeat and took it to my mechanic so they can fool with it and give me alignment while they're at it. Mechanic gave me mad props for doing the struts on my own, though. He said the XC70 (my specific year too) is indeed one of the least fun cars to do front suspension work on. True dat.

Waiting till Thursday when it should be warm enough for enough hours to get the front lower control arms done. Got a few other things on my plate if the weather holds for another week after that.

Well FCP Euro appeared to be on their game when I got the notification that my parts were showing up a day early so I took the front end of my truck apart so I could just bang out the job. Yay right? No. They sent BMW fuel filters instead of Land Rover control arms and trunk lift supports for an SLK not a Range Rover. Now I have to go drop the stuff at a FedEx store and the nearest one is a half hour away and there's always a line of 20 minutes or more and my replacement parts won't ship until Friday at best. I guess saving a few bucks using a local company with free shipping isn't always the best option So I called them back and since they started the return process and sent me a return label I can't just go down there and make the transaction it has to go through their shipping dept. WTF. Now I have to put the old parts back on in the rain tomorrow afternoon so I can drive to Boston on Friday morning, it's that or rent a car for the weekend. *grrr*

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Well FCP Euro appeared to be on their game when I got the notification that my parts were showing up a day early so I took the front end of my truck apart so I could just bang out the job. Yay right? No. They sent BMW fuel filters instead of Land Rover control arms and trunk lift supports for an SLK not a Range Rover. Now I have to go drop the stuff at a FedEx store and the nearest one is a half hour away and there's always a line of 20 minutes or more and my replacement parts won't ship until Friday at best. I guess saving a few bucks using a local company with free shipping isn't always the best option So I called them back and since they started the return process and sent me a return label I can't just go down there and make the transaction it has to go through their shipping dept. WTF. Now I have to put the old parts back on in the rain tomorrow afternoon so I can drive to Boston on Friday morning, it's that or rent a car for the weekend. *grrr*
    Atlantic British

Close to twice the price and the shipping was nearly $50. I should have just driven the 25 minutes and picked it up like I usually do with them.

Close to twice the price and the shipping was nearly $50. I should have just driven the 25 minutes and picked it up like I usually do with them.
    I think they utilize third party drop shipping these days for bunch of parts. The days of them having everything in one location in Connecticut is a thing of the past but that's what etailers have to do to stay in business.
    I have been using them for about 15 years and their fulfillment and true knowledge of products isn't the same as the old days.

No they show in stock or will ship in XX days so you know what can ship or be picked up right away. A lot of their 3rd party stuff seems to come from other local warehouses because if I put in for pickup it usually only adds a few hours.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 12-02-2021 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Close to twice the price and the shipping was nearly $50.
    Still cheaper than a rental and a drive.

Yeah my mistake was taking it apart and trusting someone else to actually get something right. I'll call them in a little bit and if it didn't get out yesterday I'll put it back together and move on, the rain is over and it's warming up so whatever... Since I have to put it back on stands next week I might as well get some more parts, right? I'm kind of getting used to doing things twice on this stupid thing.

The biggest time suck problem I have is how long it takes to get it lifted safely to work on it. I currently use a decent floor jack, a small bottle jack under low load things and a couple of jack stands as necessary. I try to put things under the correct points because a 6k pound brick falling on me would suck. I see pneumatic and electric bottle jacks that lift pretty high and some have a lock so they act as a stand also but would you trust something like that if it only costs about $100 or is that chinesium scary? Other than a lift what's everyone's preferred method of lifting a car/truck?

Ramps and then a 6x6 on a floor jack to set the jackstands