Page 63 of 236 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 5882
    Pop rivet.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Anyone here ever removed the egr from a truck? specifically referencing my Duramax LBZ which is throwing a P0402 code at the moment. Has ~380,000km. Been thinking of taking it out for a while but haven’t had the time or been super motivated to do it as it runs well. I’m not sold on it yet as it also means getting a tune and a bunch of other work. Not looking to race at all - just want to keep the truck running for as long as possible. Have read a bunch of pros and cons on diesel forums but can’t tell who is just drinking cool aid vs actual benefits. Thoughts from the collective?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone here ever removed the egr from a truck? specifically referencing my Duramax LBZ which is throwing a P0402 code at the moment. Has ~380,000km. Been thinking of taking it out for a while but haven’t had the time or been super motivated to do it as it runs well. I’m not sold on it yet as it also means getting a tune and a bunch of other work. Not looking to race at all - just want to keep the truck running for as long as possible. Have read a bunch of pros and cons on diesel forums but can’t tell who is just drinking cool aid vs actual benefits. Thoughts from the collective?

It's generally not an easy project on modern diesels, though I've never owned a Duramax. That said, as long as you don't have emissions concerns, removing the EGR makes for a more reliable, often more efficient vehicle. You don't have to use some smoke spewing tune on there... There are economy tunes that simply disable EGR related equipment and make things more efficient. I did this on my old ford 6.4 and the power was night and day, even with the basic economy tune. When using a tuner, it's not a bad idea to monitor your EGTs, especially with a stock diameter down pipe and exhaust. Economy tune should be fine but if you use a performance oriented tune, things could get a bit hot.

Blocker plate is a common retrofit. Won’t stop you from throwing codes. Think you need programmer to shut that down. I have turbo codes on mine with 220,000 miles. My mechanic says not to worry. I keep trucking, but did not do anything with EGR nor see reason to up to this point.

This is in here because it goes in a car. Not really wrenching though...

Basinbeater is victorious! I like car audio stuff and recently picked up this old diamond audio d5 600.4 amplifier. Apparently this had a great reputation, and it's built like a tank. But channels 1 and 2 were inoperative. So I tracked down a circuit diagram and got to work with the multimeter.
    I have never done this sort of thing before, but was confident I could figure it out. I saw that some resistors on channel 2 were toasted, and figured that some of the transistors were also toast. So like $7 in parts, most of which were not even opened, it works. I replaced like 10 different transistors, and like 6 or 7 resistors.
    It works. I can't fucking believe it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch-1572675788713.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	300803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191021_224013.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	300806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_063841.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	300807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191017_224227.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	300808

sent from Utah.
    Last edited by basinbeater; 11-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    sigless.

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	303762

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	303762
    Nice. I assume your cherry picker is a chain hoist between 2 trees just out of frame

i thought he was scrapping the aluminum wheels to recoup the gas $ he put in before the hg blew hah

jk thats my 98 wagon that has yet to be scrapped

Those are better jack stands than my steel ones because of their width. That subi is gonna be sold (the HG weep has escalated). Currently has a dead battery. I wanted the lightly used snows on it for my matrix. Did an 8 tire remount and swap yesterday. The car is parked on a slope. The ground/duff under the other wheels is about 4-5” higher than that left side. Rounds worked really well!

Yeah I was just poking fun. I might be stealing that idea. Threw a rod in the wife's 05 4runner. Had V6 with only 150k...ugh...cheapest qoute was 6500 with a used motor. Ended up picking up same year with the v8 and closer to 200k miles. Old one had shitload of armor, roof rack, locker/gears etc so I'll be slowly(old one in backyard and no garage) swapping over everything from old one. Still close to 800 bucks cheaper than doing motor swap and well its same V8 in have in my tundra.

GF's 4th gen 4Runner had half the lights in the HVAC controls out, plus half the little screen above them was dim. Complete LED kit from some Toyota dealer on ebay and about five minutes had them all swapped out. Nothing worth taking a picture of, but if you've got a 4th gen that has this problem, it's cheap, easy, and fast to fix.

Funny you mention that. Very similar thing going on in the one we just picked up. Was just gonna swap from old one but haven't gotten to it yet. Good to know. Pulling off all the suspension on the old one in the snow and cold is less then appealing right now. Might just get put off for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    GF's 4th gen 4Runner had half the lights in the HVAC controls out, plus half the little screen above them was dim. Complete LED kit from some Toyota dealer on ebay and about five minutes had them all swapped out. Nothing worth taking a picture of, but if you've got a 4th gen that has this problem, it's cheap, easy, and fast to fix.
    Link? We have that issue. Sounds great and I have 5 minutes to spare.

Our 03 gen 4 V6 run perfect and burns no oil at all. Super quiet at 212k ish.

In other news my 17 stepson found a way to fuck up the front suspension on my 02 Outback. 240k and first time it has seen a tow truck since I drove it off the lot new. $80 flatbed home to garage and suspension apart in about two hours. Fucked tie rod, lower control arm, and an exploded rotor plus two blown tires which effectively kills the snow tires. Some scrapes on the fender and plastic bits but nothing too ugly. All parts ordered from rock auto for under 200 shipped. Hopefully back on the road soon unless things I haven't found are bent as well.

I hope the 17 yo comes away from this with lessons learned as he burned some of his lifetime luck quota up for sure. It is an old beater now but mechanically very tight and lovingly cared for its whole life and it is depressing watching it go to shit under his care. Lolz. First world problems and the whole thing could have been much worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 11-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Our 03 gen 4 V6 run perfect and burns no oil at all. Super quiet at 212k ish.

In other news my 17 stepson found a way to fuck up the front suspension on my 02 Outback. 240k and first time it has seen a tow truck since I drove it off the lot new. $80 flatbed home to garage and suspension apart in about two hours. Fucked tie rod, lower control arm, and an exploded rotor plus two blown tires which effectively kills the snow tires. Some scrapes on the fender and plastic bits but nothing too ugly. All parts ordered from rock auto for under 200 shipped. Hopefully back on the road soon unless things I haven't found are bent as well.

I hope the 18 yo comes away from this with lessons learned as he burned some of his lifetime luck quota up for sure. It is an old beater now but mechanically very tight and lovingly cared for its whole life and it is depressing watching it go to shit under his care. Lolz. First world problems and the whole thing could have been much worse.

WTF ? A teenage kid fucked up a car and their answer is IDK what happened....

Jumped it?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    WTF ? A teenage kid fucked up a car and their answer is IDK what happened....
    A legacy passed down through the generations.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Jumped it?

Kinda. Not on purpose though.

An outback passed down through the generations.

FIFY

Lol. Pun intended. He tried to blame this whole incident on a blown tire. Yeah, no.

Yeah, seeing your kid destroy your old, cherished vehicle is depressing.

It was for me, at least.

Will you make him repair it with you?

That's a good bit of damage for someone just driving along.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Will you make him repair it with you?

That's a good bit of damage for someone just driving along.
    That is the smart play for sure. Putting it together next week with him and then driving him to school in it for the curb side drop off the next morning. Any more ideas welcome. I took it apart while he was at a 3 hour swim practice. Probably a mistake but my time is limited. Step parenting is harder than wrenching...by far.

Maybe make him pay for some advanced car control lessons?

But, if he feels bad about it and learned a lesson that might be enough.

Gotta replace the manual hubs on the 96 f250. Is it as easy as it looks?

Here's what I ordered: https://ebay.us/LNUAjT

I'm sure plenty of dealers sell the same kit, but they're all the same price and this one worked great for me. I had a couple extra bulbs that only the Limited trim uses.