Page 132 of 234 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 5831
    You'd probably enjoy my cars after I'm done with them

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Stripped a couple studs on the bottom of my exhaust manifold when replacing the Y-pipe ( fuck you catalytic converter thieves) and got tired of resetting my P2097 from the leak getting to my sensor so I started in on replacing the manifold today. Little did I know the last person to remove the manifold broke off two bolts and decided to just leave them there. Luckily a vise-grip took them out without issue
    This seems to be the best way to do it.

BTW- The subtitles really help on this video

Some awesome ideas in this one:

So who was it that suggested I try rerouting the offending hose, Todd? Anyway, good idea. I've been spending way too much time reading service manuals and looking at diagrams and watching videos and then I went outside and stared at it for a while. I pulled the intake resonator and cabin filter hvac cartridge off and I can see both ends of both hoses. I think if I pull the rest of the intake I can get to everything so why not run them over the top instead of hidden? As long as one doesn't burst and dump coolant all over the top of the motor I should be fine, right? I mean, is there any reason other than the supercharger was plopped on top of an existing engine and these were already there so why bother engineering an alternate solution, that heater coolant and return hoses have to be where they are?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So who was it that suggested I try rerouting the offending hose, Todd? Anyway, good idea. I've been spending way too much time reading service manuals and looking at diagrams and watching videos and then I went outside and stared at it for a while. I pulled the intake resonator and cabin filter hvac cartridge off and I can see both ends of both hoses. I think if I pull the rest of the intake I can get to everything so why not run them over the top instead of hidden? As long as one doesn't burst and dump coolant all over the top of the motor I should be fine, right? I mean, is there any reason other than the supercharger was plopped on top of an existing engine and these were already there so why bother engineering an alternate solution, that heater coolant and return hoses have to be where they are?
    Air Bubble.

I was thinking about that and figured a joint with a bleeder valve at the highest point should solve that. There's a stud that used to hold that silly plastic engine cover that I can use to secure the whole thing.

If it’s above your reservoir, you’re always gonna get an air bubble. Reservoir should always be the highest point in a cooling system.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was thinking about that and figured a joint with a bleeder valve at the highest point should solve that. There's a stud that used to hold that silly plastic engine cover that I can use to secure the whole thing.
    There are serious red neck hacks on rerouting or splicing hidden cooler lines as long as you can access the offending area. The point someone made about making sure you keep the repair UNDER the highest point will be key. Just make sure you pressure test it multiple times both cold/warm to confirm your repair is successful. Fuck the purists, sometimes a beater get's some shade tree treatment to make it road worthy. Worst case you wasted some time and material and do the walk of shame to your tech. If it's successful you can post online and become a RR red neck celebrity.
    If your system is know for trapping air source a burping coolant funnel system on amazon for about $20 to make the job easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rover.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	402807

where is the leak on the assembly ? IF you can access the clamps on the left/right side of the assembly you can pull a hose through with a rope as you described at one point and just install/clamp. Just get a the correct diameter bulk hose, attach to some rope, spray a silicone on hose and push/pull/pray.

^^Yup it's that mess and I think the leak is in one of those 90° elbows at the back, it may not be the actual hose. After this cold snap the next few days and the storm this weekend it's gonna warm up so I'll pull stuff off and get a pressure tester on it and really locate it rather than these shops saying "yeah it's that one, look at the water running..."

Good point on being below the overflow tank. I think they could also run around the sides.

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Go for it if you can make it work and stay below the reservoir. But do NOT use silicone as lube for coolant hoses. Coolant will leak past it. Use dish soap as it will dissolve into the coolant.

Also, if you’ve unreasonably blown past the shop time to properly replace that hose assembly by macgyvering the repair, just stop and take the time to remove the supercharger…lol

^^Yup it's that mess and I think the leak is in one of those 90° elbows at the back, it may not be the actual hose. After this cold snap the next few days and the storm this weekend it's gonna warm up so I'll pull stuff off and get a pressure tester on it and really locate it rather than these shops saying "yeah it's that one, look at the water running..."

Good point on being below the overflow tank. I think they could also run around the sides.
    You might borrow or source a cheap inspection camera to get confirmation of leak location, available on amazon for $20. If the couplings on the right side is accessible it looks like a driveway repair that gets you back running. with some hose, reducers and coupling. a decent parts store should have enough in inventory of hoses you can hack something together or order pre made reducers if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Go for it if you can make it work and stay below the reservoir. But do NOT use silicone as lube for coolant hoses. Coolant will leak past it. Use dish soap as it will dissolve into the coolant.

Also, if you’ve unreasonably blown past the shop time to properly replace that hose assembly by macgyvering the repair, just stop and take the time to remove the supercharger…lol

I meant silicone on the outside of the hose IF he needed to pull replacement thorough a tight area but soap would also work as well. At one point he talked about a hack where replacement hose is fished through the channel under the super charger while it's in place.

I actually ordered one of those cameras a little while ago figuring it might help.

I like the dish soap idea. Then when it leaks again it will be self cleaning

Well yeah, I'm partially trying to avoid all of the broken plastic bits and vacuum hoses that are likely to break during disassembly and reassembly making it take five times as long while I wait for more parts. The shop that was so anxious to take my money to do it seems to have changed his mind as he looked into it so, other than having it towed to the LR Indy and probably costing a few $k more than estimate because of old broken shit, it's coming down to me making it work.

Someone posted this pic for me though and if it's the hose seen it can't be accessed on both sides but the longer one underneath can. From feeling around back there though I still think it's either one of those elbows or possibly one of the small hoses that go to the throttle body. That would actually be the easiest because it's fully exposed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hosesundercharger.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	402854  

I actually ordered one of those cameras a little while ago figuring it might help.

I like the dish soap idea. Then when it leaks again it will be self cleaning

Well yeah, I'm partially trying to avoid all of the broken plastic bits and vacuum hoses that are likely to break during disassembly and reassembly making it take five times as long while I wait for more parts. The shop that was so anxious to take my money to do it seems to have changed his mind as he looked into it so, other than having it towed to the LR Indy and probably costing a few $k more than estimate because of old broken shit, it's coming down to me making it work.

Someone posted this pic for me though and if it's the hose seen it can't be accessed on both sides but the longer one underneath can. From feeling around back there though I still think it's either one of those elbows or possibly one of the small hoses that go to the throttle body. That would actually be the easiest because it's fully exposed.
    A quick pressure tester session will show the leak. If your not sure of the leak with limited access you can also try pinching off some of the hoses you can access to to help identify the culprit.

How possible is it to straighten out front end damage in your garage? Tempted to look at a Mazda 3 that's been in an accident. Guys asking too much (of course) but if I picked it up for a couple G's, it could be worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Anything is possible if you are a dreamer.....

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    How possible is it to straighten out front end damage in your garage? Tempted to look at a Mazda 3 that's been in an accident. Guys asking too much (of course) but if I picked it up for a couple G's, it could be worth it.
    Do you have exposed beams or could you screw an eye hook into one? You could use that with a chain and a hi-lift jack to pull the front end out.

@f'nslow yeah, I think when (if?) the weather warms up next week like they say I'm gonna dig in and find this thing and get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Anything is possible if you are a dreamer.....
    Hahaha. Totally

Do you have exposed beams or could you screw an eye hook into one? You could use that with a chain and a hi-lift jack to pull the front end out.

@f'nslow yeah, I think when (if?) the weather warms up next week like they say I'm gonna dig in and find this thing and get it figured out.
    Hmm. Perhaps a tree. Guys smoking crack for the price he's asking so I'll probably end up passing. He states it's "minor damage to hood" and you can see in pics that it's all scrunched up, doesn't close, and radiators smushed in. People....

Hmm. Perhaps a tree. Guys smoking crack for the price he's asking so I'll probably end up passing. He states it's "minor damage to hood" and you can see in pics that it's all scrunched up, doesn't close, and radiators smushed in. People....

Man, that sounds like a $500 car a few years ago. What is the value IF it was not f'd up right now ? Will it have a totaled title ?
    If it's not done well you'll never be able to get rid of it. If it's priced right you might just ask a shop how much to pull it straight then you can swap a used matching hood if it pencils out. Radiators as a rule are cheap but if any welding needs to be done to the cross member area to replace something it can turn into a total shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Man, that sounds like a $500 car a few years ago. What is the value IF it was not f'd up right now ? Will it have a totaled title ?
    If it's not done well you'll never be able to get rid of it. If it's priced right you might just ask a shop how much to pull it straight then you can swap a used matching hood if it pencils out. Radiators as a rule are cheap but if any welding needs to be done to the cross member area to replace something it can turn into a total shit show.
    You are spot on. Totally would have been that cheap few years back. Now this chump's asking $5K. Base model, hubcaps, nothing special. This market is so dumb right now.

Also found an '05 Mini Cooper S with only like 130K for $3500. Possibly bad cats (or O2 sensors) but is in way better shape. That's a fun car but I'd probably be tempting fate with that one. Turbo goes bad and I'm screwed on the value. SO many issues with the Coopers but at least they're damn fun to drive... When they're not bankrupting you with repairs that is.

If you want a wrecked car to fix get a copart account and bid with the rest of the scrappers. You never know what you will find.

What the fuck are you talking about? Silicone has been used to aid in the installation of rubber sealing components in fluid delivery since before you and me put together.

You are spot on. Totally would have been that cheap few years back. Now this chump's asking $5K. Base model, hubcaps, nothing special. This market is so dumb right now.

Also found an '05 Mini Cooper S with only like 130K for $3500. Possibly bad cats (or O2 sensors) but is in way better shape. That's a fun car but I'd probably be tempting fate with that one. Turbo goes bad and I'm screwed on the value. SO many issues with the Coopers but at least they're damn fun to drive... When they're not bankrupting you with repairs that is.

Offer $2500 for the mini with the cat price as justification, drop the rear part if the exhaust, suck out all the shit in the cat and install 02 sensor extenders and drive it like you stole it.
    Maybe see if you can find someone with a a wrecked one and buy the complete exhaust. I know it's a federal crime to resell catalytic converters but aren't you in Texas where federal mawas don't really apply ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Offer $2500 for the mini with the cat price as justification, drop the rear part if the exhaust, suck out all the shit in the cat and install 02 sensor extenders and drive it like you stole it.
    Maybe see if you can find someone with a a wrecked one and buy the complete exhaust. I know it's a federal crime to resell catalytic converters but aren't you in Texas where federal mawas don't really apply ?
    I like your style! Solid plan. I'll reach out to the dude. It's about 80 miles away. No biggie but I'll need a ride in case I end up taking it home so prolly can't go til Thursday. Needs smog tests where he is so maybe why the fair price. No smog checks in my hood tho! And yeah, no worries about selling cats here either AFAIK.