Page 174 of 236 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I smell a blowout. Though these seem right up gravitylover's alley.
    Not sure I can trust someone's tire opinion when they're put on a 35 year old Caravan with a blown engine and blown suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    They were offered as 60k tires and they had quite a bit of road noise.
    Yeah. That is pretty bad for a "60K" tire. Although I usually don't lend much credence to manufacturer's warrantable mileage claims, I DID get crazy long miles out of my old Chevy's BF Goodrich T/A KO2's. That was a helluva good tire. Same with the Goodyear SilentArmors I ran for a while. Performance tires tend to get burnt up much, much faster though. By design of course. Completely different compounds. Either way, in my experience, trying to save $40/tire or something ends up costing me as I would always end up having to replace the tire in like half the time of what I'd get out of a higher quality tire. Except in the case of the Generals I've run on my Trailblazer and XC70. Both winter and all-seasons have performed admirably and for a great price, BUT that's not what I'm going with on my C30. I want a decent performance tire in this case. I am so sick of the worn out Hankooooks that are on it. They actually still have loads of tread left on them, but they're stiff, and ride and handle like crap. They're not even that old either. Just checked the date stamp on them and they were made March of '21. They're the Ventus V2 Concepts FWIW. Well enough reviewed (when new), but follow-up reviews from long term owners mirror exactly my experience. They end up having AWFUL wet traction and handling takes a nosedive after not too long. Do not buy. I'll spend the extra $50/tire to upgrade to Pilots and have a tire that's hopefully worth a darn.

I prefer Yin Yang tires. They balance really well. Hardly any weights at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    What? But their motto is Ling Long Last Longtime!
    I prefer to think that somewhere in China is a diehard Ministry fan.

"There was only one thing that I could do
    Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long"
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Not sure I can trust someone's tire opinion when they're put on a 35 year old Caravan with a blown engine and blown suspension.
    I think the tranny is blown too, or did that fix itself with an ATF change?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I prefer to think that somewhere in China is a diehard Ministry fan.
    Maybe Jesus could build a hot rod for gravitylover?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think the tranny is blown too, or did that fix itself with an ATF change?
    I think he fixed that with one of the three new thermostats.

Maybe Jesus could build a hot rod for gravitylover?
    Nobody with a good car need to worry about nothing.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    They were offered as 60k tires and they had quite a bit of road noise.
    Can understand the disappointment in that case. I think Pilots may be 30k warranty? Doubt I’ve ever even managed that out of a max performance summer tire.

On my first car I had ‘R’ compound tires with a 60 treadwear rating for a period, a very short period. Got them for $100 each (Canadian, no less) through a friend who’s dad had a small Goodyear race tire business. 17 year old kid probably shouldn’t be allowed to drive race tires on the street in retrospect.

What? But their motto is Ling Long Last Longtime!
    I prefer Yin Yang tires. They balance really well. Hardly any weights at all.
    You're on fire today, Ted. LMAO over here!

I'm channeling my inner timberridge

Nobody with a good car need to worry about nothing.
    Except the record label

Yeah, Striker's on fire today.

I fear between the aftermarket parts from Dorman and Ling Long tires made in Chinese re-education camps our highways are poised to become a slaughterhouses.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Truck is acting up ever since the valve cover gaskets got replaced. Got a low oil pressure warning yesterday. Did the deep dive on these 5.3 ls engines and yup common problem. One source is o-ring to oil pickup line. Another is oil pressure sensor. Another is oil pump bypass line gets clogged. Sensitive little bastard. I think that with the cleaning job I did I got some old chunky bits moving around the system and it is clogging either the sensor or that pump bypass. Gonna try a oil flush product and change the oil first before the monster project of removing the oil pan. Yay high mileage trucks!
    Well my theory seems to have been validated. After oil change and an Italian tune up the oil pressure gauge is where it should be. Felt around where the sensor is and it is covered in soot and oil. So likely that seal is bad. Gonna replace that sensor but too cold today to bust knuckles.

Old dog needs to get through the winter of towing the sled full throttle up the mountain. Braaap

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    What is the saying?
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Hence, Ling Long
    Sounds like something the narrator of A Christmas Story would say in the background to the father making poor decisions.

Boy, tough crowd. I do ~30k/yr in my car and another 10 or so in the wife's car, I buy tires about every 18 months and I had that same car. I have a pretty good idea of what works well on a variety of different cars (because I've had a variety...) It's a sporty car not a sports car and I had the first gen Pilots on it and it felt like shit, the Dunlops rode great but were almost too sticky and those Nexens were a great compromise and I got about 30k out of them which, for the price, was acceptable. @mf we have those same Ventus pieces of shit on the XC60 and they SUCK. Probably the worst tires I've ever had on a car, the ride sucks, they're scary in the rain and useless on dry cold pavement too.

Did anyone try the general gmax AS03 and 05?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I had the 05 on my BRZ. They're fantastic at everything but snow where they totally sucked. If they weren't so horrible in the snow I'd put them on my wife's Volvo.

Oh and yeah, the motor is mostly fucked, hopefully it doesn't retire before I scrape up the $$ to fix it. The tranny seems to be good now after two fluid drain and fills and a tube of this https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...ng_dcoe_google

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Boy, tough crowd. I do ~30k/yr in my car and another 10 or so in the wife's car, I buy tires about every 18 months and I had that same car. I have a pretty good idea of what works well on a variety of different cars (because I've had a variety...) It's a sporty car not a sports car and I had the first gen Pilots on it and it felt like shit, the Dunlops rode great but were almost too sticky and those Nexens were a great compromise and I got about 30k out of them which, for the price, was acceptable. @mf we have those same Ventus pieces of shit on the XC60 and they SUCK. Probably the worst tires I've ever had on a car, the ride sucks, they're scary in the rain and useless on dry cold pavement too.
    Ah. Perhaps it's cuz you were on Gen 1 that you didn't like 'em. I think they're up to 5 now. Ones I'm looking at are the Pilot A/S 4. Not exactly a Pilot Sport Cup, so it should be a competent all-arounder for my purposes. Hilarious you hate those stupid Ventuses as much as I do. LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Did anyone try the general gmax AS03 and 05?
    I actually have the AS05 on my XC70! I have probably around 25K on them now and they've proven to be fantastic. Set before that was the Michelin Primacy all season. That was an excellent, long lasting tire for that car so that's my benchmark for my slow, heavy wagon. I don't know if the Generals will make it quite as long (time will tell), but they handle well in most conditions, have proven sturdy, the ride quality is almost as good as the Michelins, but not 100%. Perhaps a BIT noisier than the Michelins, but I don't really notice. SOLID value at nearly half the cost in my case. When I was shopping, a replacement set of Primacies was like $200/pop at Costco and the Generals came out to maybe like $100 or $110/each at Discount Tire after they tossed in a couple discounts.

Would I want the Generals on my C30? Nope, but for a competent highway tire on an SUV/big wagon, then absolutely. Much like General's Arctic Altimax winter tires, the Gmax's definitely outperform what the price point should suggest.

I had General G Max AS05 on my Lexus IS350. I liked them. Good handling, quiet, even tread wear.

FWIW Michelin uses the name Pilot on tires that are pretty far removed from performance tires. Kind of like Goodyear naming everything a Wrangler.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-pilot-hx-mxm4

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Oh and yeah, the motor is mostly fucked, hopefully it doesn't retire before I scrape up the $$ to fix it. The tranny seems to be good now after two fluid drain and fills and a tube of this https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...ng_dcoe_google
    You should start a business doing used car evaluations- THE LEMON BUYER INC. Charge a few hundred and if you want to buy the car it's a straight NO GO.

Hahaha

Lol, thread's bringing the heat today

I had General G Max AS05 on my Lexus IS350. I liked them. Good handling, quiet, even tread wear.

FWIW Michelin uses the name Pilot on tires that are pretty far removed from performance tires. Kind of like Goodyear naming everything a Wrangler.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-pilot-hx-mxm4
    Yes, but… anything ‘Pilot Sport…’, which mf was talking about, will be a high performance tire. Then there are ‘Pilot Super Sport’, ‘Pilot Sport Cup’, etc.