Page 45 of 233 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 5815
    Fuggi makes it look easy!

Let's see the stance on the wagon now.. how's she sittin?
    sigless.

Same AFAICT.
    She is super sexy
    Nice n wide n low
    #thicc

I will post a pic if needed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9599.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	271015

Ready for snowpocalypse round 2! I had never used chains before - they're kind of a bitch to get on and tensioned right. Looks like I need to tighten them further. They work better than I thought they might.

60" predicted for this week. Fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9602.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	902.5 KB 
ID:	271276

24" in the first 24 hours. Chains help a ton.
    Last edited by mangle; 02-25-2019 at 08:22 AM.

I'm looking for a second vehicle for weekend warrior type activities- no offroading or major mods etc, but my current low clearance commuter car has a rough time on the forest service roads here in the PNW. I haven't wrenched in a long time- but when I did it was maintenance type stuff and easy swaps like alternator, thermostat, brakes etc. on early 90s Japanese. I think I can handle trips to the parts store and keeping things running, but don't need a project or major expense at this point in my life. I'd like it to be reliable enough not to strand me, but I also would like to keep it around $5k for a toy.

I'm considering a late 90s-early 2000s 4runner. I have always liked them, and seems like there is a ton of info out there to help me keep it going. Am I being naive that a 200k+ mile vehicle can be kept reliable enough to take to the mountains a couple times a month without major heart and wallet ache? My current car was bought new and has needed almost nothing in 10 years so maybe I've got my head in the clouds.

^^^^4.0 I6 jeep engine is solid, now the rest, not bad, find an old cherokee. Older I4 wranger with manual are good on fire trails and logging roads.

For a late 90s-early 2000s 4Runner -- check carefully for body and frame rust. Would also recommend sticking with the 3.4L V6 motor; don't get the earlier 3.0 V6.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Would also recommend sticking with the 3.4L V6 motor; don't get the earlier 3.0 V6.
    What the hell you got against 0-60 in 45 secs and 10 mpg???

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    What the hell you got against 0-60 in 45 secs and 10 mpg???
    Don't forget engine sludge issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

4Runner is a good choice, but for your needs a Gen1 Highlander is probably a better bet. They're generally cheaper and won't have been beat on as hard.

Plus the AWD system on the Gen1 is not a slip and grip, both axles are engaged all the time and it uses the ABS system to mimic LSDs. It works way, way better than it sounds.

Get a 2005+ as they upgraded the motor and transmission.

$5K doesn't buy you much 3rd gen 4runner in the PNW.

And the 1st gen Highlander is unibody (not saying anything is wrong with that) but the question is, does he want a truck or a car?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    And the 1st gen Highlander is unibody (not saying anything is wrong with that) but the question is, does he want a truck or a car?
    Based on his post I figured a Highlander would suffice.

I'm looking for a second vehicle for weekend warrior type activities- no offroading or major mods etc, but my current low clearance commuter car has a rough time on the forest service roads here in the PNW.

some fun times going on for me and the fam with vehicles.

2001 subi legacy, 15x,xxx miles. sputtering, loosing power, backfiring, while on freeway at 60-75 mph, especially under a bit of a load, like going up a mild to steeper interstate hill. got bad enough, check engine lite blinks, until the load is reduced. got it to a multi-day free parking lot (train station) 40 ,minutes from me house. wife (and kids pick me up past kids bedtime. misfire cylinder 1 code. this is a new issue for the car. recommendations of where to start? plug? ignition coil?

i'm gonna call my mechanic tomorrow. supposed to be raining until end of thursday. looks like i may be wrenching something in a parking lot in the rain tomorrow evening after my wife and kids no longer need our van.

we have 3 vehicles partially because we live in the sticks and it's tough when we had 2 vehicles and one went down or needed to be sitting in a garage for whatever issue. we learned that the hard way. our land cruiser is still at a body shop while i find junk yard parts for the front end (slow-ish rolled into a snowbank). our sienna has a power sliding door that just stopped working (luckily it was mostly closed when this happened). i need to cut the cable i guess (currently reviewing the long thread on the sienna forum) and hope that I didn't bend a hinge or track trying to open or close (forcing) the door.

Sounds a lot like a plug wire. When was the last time they were changed? Worse when it’s wet?

Start it and open the hood at night or in the shade and look for a spark arcing off of the wire on #1. If that’s inconclusive swap it with another plug wire that’s long enough and easy to get to and see if the problem migrates.

Next suspect is the plugs. Are they old? Start with #1. Not sure about the 01 Legacy but getting the plugs out in an 07 Outback and 14 Forester is a real whore you’ll need a variety of socket extension and your full vocabulary of naughty words.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

It is common for the seals around the plug tubes to leak, letting oil get on the plug boots and causing a misfire. Especially If the plugs need changing anyway, you need to check the boots for oil. If there is oil, you’ll need new tube seals and valve cover gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Both post above are correct. It is most likely just plugs but change the wires as well because they are notorious for going bad. $39 on amazon and these are the ones you need.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The spark plug tube gaskets all fail in these eventually also. Not a big deal to change yourself at all if you want to - I did mine when I had everything apart anyway but I remember thinking how easy it would be to do over a couple beers.. The oil in the tubes isn't a huge deal though imo ymmv.

My 02 exhibited the same symptoms as yours on the interstate at one time. Plugs fixed it but the real issue was oil ring blow by was starting to oil the plugs so it was new short block time which fixed it for good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Sounds a lot like a plug wire. When was the last time they were changed? Worse when it’s wet?

Start it and open the hood at night or in the shade and look for a spark arcing off of the wire on #1. If that’s inconclusive swap it with another plug wire that’s long enough and easy to get to and see if the problem migrates.

Next suspect is the plugs. Are they old? Start with #1. Not sure about the 01 Legacy but getting the plugs out in an 07 Outback and 14 Forester is a real whore you’ll need a variety of socket extension and your full vocabulary of naughty words.
    Changing plugs on the 01 should be relatively easy. We did my 02 once on the way to Jackson outside a parts store. We were back on the road in 30 minutes with misfire on hills gone but it was also my first clue that I would need the new short block because the ever increasing oil ring blowby was becoming untenable.

The 07 outback and 14 Forester both had next to no space behind the back of the socket. First airbox has to be removed on passenger side. Might’ve had to take the battery out on the drives side don’t quite recall. Then you have to slip the socket onto the plug then add a short extension and then attach the ratchet handle.. After breaking the plug loose you have to disconnect the ratchet handle and either turn it by hand or take off the extension and put the ratchet back on. Not hard compared to swapping ball joints but a PIA for something like spark plugs.

Yeah. Taking the windshield washer fluid reservoir out on drivers side iirc makes it 127x easier. All of that stuff only takes a couple three minutes though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    2001 subi legacy, 15x,xxx miles. sputtering, loosing power, backfiring, while on freeway at 60-75 mph, especially under a bit of a load, like going up a mild to steeper interstate hill. got bad enough, check engine lite blinks, until the load is reduced. got it to a multi-day free parking lot (train station) 40 ,minutes from me house. wife (and kids pick me up past kids bedtime. misfire cylinder 1 code. this is a new issue for the car. recommendations of where to start? plug? ignition coil?
    I'd take a look at the mass air flow sensor. If there's crap on the sensor, it'll do that, especially under load. MAF cleaner is glorified electrical contact cleaner - in an aerosol can at your local autozone/pepboys for a few $.

Thanks for the responses!

looking through some (possibly incomplete) service records, plugs were done at the 90k service, but apparently not the wires(?). that was 65k and almost 9 years ago. valve gasket was replaced last year when a valve on an different cylinder (#4) was adjusted. #4 had been throwing codes for a while during start-up w/o any noticeable performance issues.

it sounds like a maybe simple solution to get the car home would be replace the wire and plug for cylinder#1? is there an ignition coil involved? if i can get the parts at autozone or reibes, i'll be doing this work this afternoon/evening, in the rain, in an amtrak parking lot (probably not totally legal). i guess i'll take a tarp. can i inspect the plug that i pull for oil to detect if the plug seal is leaking?

thanks!

Doesn't look so simple. Nurse it home? Take it to the mechanic that you have been bringing donuts to.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

If you have 65k on plugs in that engine and they are not iridium or double platinum they are beyond shot. 36k is normal replacement schedule and even then they are normally done. They are probably just running a gap way out of spec which is why you misfire on hills with heavy throttle when bridging the gap is harder for the spark.

Replace them all if you can. Get platinum at least so they hold up. Replacing all 4 wires is cheap and a breeze and should be done as well.

Yes you will see the oil on the top of the plugs/bottom of wires you remove if the tube seals are leaking.

Edit...the sohc ej252/253 we are talking about here is relatively easy to change plugs on. I have done it many times. Not true for all Subarus I know.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-06-2019 at 12:05 PM.

when youre in there take a look at the knock sensor, it might be cracked. its cheap and should be easy to get to.

ignition coil is a single unit on top of the intake manifold, thats a 2 minute change out.

You said it was showing a code for cylinder 1. If I was trying to get the car 40 miles to home I’d concentrate on that first. Wire is still the best an easiest bet based on available info. Buy a decent set of NKG wires at a local parts store swap #1 and hope like hell that’s the fix. (Carefully remove the boot from the plug so that it doesn’t rip!)

When you get it home change the wires and plugs ASAP. Uglymoney nailed it about iridium plugs, a little extra dough but worth it as they last twice as long. (BTW I went through exactly the same symptoms with daughter’s 07 outback.). I’d still look for spark leak though.