Page 149 of 236 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 5882
    Sawzalls FTW.

I had a somewhat painless end (?) result today. I left the thing alone for a few hours to let everything go to sleep then pulled the neg cable and let it sit for 10 minutes then the POS cable and sit for another 10. Then I did the reset by holding the cables together and when they touched the parking lights flared for a second and the head unit threw a static burst. I about had a cow I held them together for about 30 seconds then reconnected.

The first startup is 2 lock to lock turns to calibrate the SAS and it threw a lost communication code so I turned it off for a few seconds then back on and the lights were off and the code was gone but the headlight adjustment wouldn't set and the suspension went wonky so I cycled it both ways. Another off and on and all seemed well.

Took it for a 50 mile ride and the voltages are good and steady, everything electrical is brighter and faster, the tranny is shifting like it used to and it just generally feels better. FWIW all of the parts that I think were spazzing are either Denso or Bosch so most of us probably have similar parts in our cars, we all have a canbus network, so if you're going through weirdness try some of these reset things before firing the parts cannon. Hopefully this works for me (for a while) but I'll probably get the battery tested to make sure it didn't get injured but AGM batteries are usually pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    This turned out to be the correct answer. The root cause was the metal sleeve in the shock bushing rust-welding itself to the bolts.
    Had the same experience with some lower shock bolts a couple years ago. Turns out it was a well known issue with those, and if you went searching for people asking for advice on them, a sawzall or grinder was always the recommended solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220618_232647015.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	419269

Did a little work on the wagon today. Replaced the fog lights which were both broken. Changed out some hoses and clamps in the power steering since I've been fighting a bit of a whine when it's hot. Could be sucking some air on the return side somewhere maybe, could just be a whiny pump. I haven't heard of a PS pump going out on any of these but I guess anything is possible. I'm trying some slightly thicker fluid too, just to see if it helps.

Name:	PXL_20220618_193624946.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	419270

Also, change your fuel filters people.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Techs can't make money working on shit like that. They want to knock out jobs they can beat book rates by 50% , not probing for broken wires with 80% return rate.
    Plenty of truth in this statement- As a shop owner my dream week would be brake jobs as far as the eye can see. My main guy can fix anything- he’s got everything in the bag - troubleshooting/fabrication/ingenuity - worked with this guy for over 16 years there nothing he can’t fix - without time; that’s where the finite resource of time comes in - he’s hourly - I’d never be able to bill all of his time on some jobs where he has to really grind it out. But I’ll gladly eat that time that isn’t billed because I know it’s fixed and not coming back. When I call a customer to explain what we’re doing I can be sure I’m telling him the correct info. Reading coxy’s posts he’s of the same ilk- very few out there can play above the rim in our world- changing parts is easy - figuring out why your changing them isn’t.

Adiron- have you changed the hoses yet on that jeep?

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    Had the same experience with some lower shock bolts a couple years ago. Turns out it was a well known issue with those, and if you went searching for people asking for advice on them, a sawzall or grinder was always the recommended solution.

Name:	PXL_20220618_232647015.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	419269

Did a little work on the wagon today. Replaced the fog lights which were both broken. Changed out some hoses and clamps in the power steering since I've been fighting a bit of a whine when it's hot. Could be sucking some air on the return side somewhere maybe, could just be a whiny pump. I haven't heard of a PS pump going out on any of these but I guess anything is possible. I'm trying some slightly thicker fluid too, just to see if it helps.

Name:	PXL_20220618_193624946.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	419270

Also, change your fuel filters people.
    Your car runs on mud water ? I can't imagine what your injectors look like.

I understand the lack of profitability in so many jobs so I ask for help. As often as not I don't understand what's being said or can't figure out how to get to something because I don't know how things come apart. So I'll ask the same thing, sometimes differently, in different places hoping someone explains it so I get it. Trying to learn other aspects from watching videos doesn't usually cut it, they'll say 'just remove xx and yy' without showing it so I'll ask again.

Had someone pointed me in the right direction with my most recent issue I could've saved $400 but time is money. Thankfully there are guys like cocximus that can express their experiences so goofballs like me can do some good with it.

Figuring out marine diesels has been not exactly fun, but interesting. Twin 370hp Cummins 6BTAs. Had to rebuild a water pump and have a heat exchanger custom made before getting going this year, working around one small part that was backordered since October due to supply chain issues combined with the surge in Covid boat-buying. Wish I had arms about 3 inches longer and 2 extra elbows to work on the outboard undersides of the Port engine where the raw water cooling pump lives. Engine mount had to come out too. Never appreciated the amount of space in a car engine bay more than this Spring, that's for certain. Oh, and batteries cost WAY more than they used to (or should)...

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	419553

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	419554

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	419555
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Techs can't make money working on shit like that. They want to knock out jobs they can beat book rates by 50% , not probing for broken wires with 80% return rate.
    From the tech's perspective, I get that. However from a long term business perspective, it's also short sighted. If a shop can't prove their worth on helping me out on some of the smaller, less profitable (but PITA) jobs, then how can I trust they're capable of doing the BIG, more profitable jobs correctly. When I need an engine or trans swap, every shop that wasn't willing to help me on stupid Euro finicky stuff obviously doesnt earn that job. Always gave me the impression that they're some domestic-only yokel too incompetent to handle more "difficult" European idiosyncracies. Especially when I end up tackling them on my own (no thanks to the shop) and it ended up being super easy and WOULD have been a profitable, quick little job for the shop. I guess that's where the guys who specialize in a particular brand can do really well. They're not afraid. Except the dealer. Those guys remain clueless as ever. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    From the tech's perspective, I get that. However from a long term business perspective, it's also short sighted. If a shop can't prove their worth on helping me out on some of the smaller, less profitable (but PITA) jobs, then how can I trust they're capable of doing the BIG, more profitable jobs correctly. When I need an engine or trans swap, every shop that wasn't willing to help me on stupid Euro finicky stuff obviously doesnt earn that job. Always gave me the impression that they're some domestic-only yokel too incompetent to handle more "difficult" European idiosyncracies. Especially when I end up tackling them on my own (no thanks to the shop) and it ended up being super easy and WOULD have been a profitable, quick little job for the shop. I guess that's where the guys who specialize in a particular brand can do really well. They're not afraid. Except the dealer. Those guys remain clueless as ever. Lol.

Did you like it when potential customers came in to pick your brain and then shopped you to death ? I see both sides because I like to tinker on my own cars but I work at an office that does equipment repair and the volume of cockroaches that want free advice can be overwhelming and when it's time for an actual repair they'll go to the lowest common denominator. Another factor is if the "customer" has already started the repair and fucked shit up it can become a nightmare no shop wants to deal with. "uuh, it was running fine before I brought it in to you guys"

I've found that giving all of my repair business to the same shop and delivering doughnuts in between visits pays off in the quality of service. And when/if the shop screws up being reasonable helps.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Did you like it when potential customers came in to pick your brain and then shopped you to death ? I see both sides because I like to tinker on my own cars but I work at an office that does equipment repair and the volume of cockroaches that want free advice can be overwhelming and when it's time for an actual repair they'll go to the lowest common denominator. Another factor is if the "customer" has already started the repair and fucked shit up it can become a nightmare no shop wants to deal with. "uuh, it was running fine before I brought it in to you guys"
    Lol. I can definitely see your point. Some customers really are a PITA and might cost more in the long run than it's worth. However, sometimes earning a solid rep might be worth it? I guess that is if you don't have a backlog of cars months long to work on. Yeah. I guess I can see both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Figuring out marine diesels has been not exactly fun, but interesting. Twin 370hp Cummins 6BTAs. Had to rebuild a water pump and have a heat exchanger custom made before getting going this year, working around one small part that was backordered since October due to supply chain issues combined with the surge in Covid boat-buying. Wish I had arms about 3 inches longer and 2 extra elbows to work on the outboard undersides of the Port engine where the raw water cooling pump lives. Engine mount had to come out too. Never appreciated the amount of space in a car engine bay more than this Spring, that's for certain. Oh, and batteries cost WAY more than they used to (or should)...
    Space issues aside, twin mechanical 6BTs is an amazing power setup. How big is the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Space issues aside, twin mechanical 6BTs is an amazing power setup. How big is the boat?
    39' with a 13.5' beam. They're 1998 BT"A"s, the aftercooled/turbo version at 370hp each. Marvelous mechanical engines, seem to be fairly straightforward. Have run them a few years now, just needed to work on more scheduled maintenance projects than years past.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

I wish I had a tire mounting machine and a balancer. The cost to get this done now is crazy. #Ineedagarage

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I wish I had a tire mounting machine and a balancer. The cost to get this done now is crazy. #Ineedagarage
    #LIFEGOALS

Glad I'm not the only one to see this happen. A indy shop charged me $42 each tire to swap over to summer tires on the van.

I was in a pinch and I can't stand BigO incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one to see this happen. A indy shop charged me $42 each tire to swap over to summer tires on the van.

I was in a pinch and I can't stand BigO incompetence.
    I'm bummed our new discount tire won't be open before I buy my next set of tires.

I had to swap tires from one set of wheels to another so it was removing 8 and mounting and balancing 4. With the disposal fee it was $220. Ouch. I also want a brake rotor lathe. I have a few sets with almost no wear but with hot pad residue and some runout they make the cars shake. If I could just clean them up it would save hundreds.

I hear ya, gravity. One of my goals in life is to have my own shop with a lift and pretty much all the tools short of an alignment rack.

I’m going to suggest, gently, that Montucky is nobody’s idea of a profitable, low-touch customer.
    focus.

There was a whole round of shop equipment that sold off cheap 2 years ago as a bunch of older guys bailed out and sold their properties during COVID shutdowns. Around here I expect another round soon as all the guys that opened their shops in the 70s and 80s age out.

When you buy a new car in some states, there's an upfront tire fee you pay. Then they charge you again when you dispose of the same tire.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I had to swap tires from one set of wheels to another so it was removing 8 and mounting and balancing 4. With the disposal fee it was $220. Ouch. I also want a brake rotor lathe. I have a few sets with almost no wear but with hot pad residue and some runout they make the cars shake. If I could just clean them up it would save hundreds.
    have you heard of winter wheels ? craigslist/offerup/facebook ifs your friend.

The tires had to come off the extra wheels because two of them are slightly bent and make the car shake so I bought another set. The replacement wheelset I picked up had a pair of lightly used Nokians that I ran for almost 30k and now it's time to put the 10k mile tires from the bent wheels on the good ones. The bent ones will now head off to get straightened, then I'll restore and paint them before they become the primaries again when these tires wear out.

Today I learned how easy it is to change the pads in 4 pot Brembos. Pop the pin and the pads just slide out (with a bit of persuasion). Seating all 4 pistons equally is another thing but I figured it out. I forgot to pop the reservoir cap off before I started and when I pushed the pistons back in the second one a bit of fluid forced its way past the cap and came out. The level is perfect now so no problem there but did I damage the seal on the cap when the fluid went by it?

This morning it threw a P0172 code, rich bank 1. I noticed a few days ago at very low speed under load it's pinging a little. I have no idea what kind of miles are on the plugs but that used to be where I'd start. Is that still the same? I always run 93/premium.

Spent the last week wrenching every night on this. Often til midnight or later. Yesterday afternoon we crossed the finish line after some 2300 miles of rallying from Rhode Island to North Dakota.

Lots of firsts...adjusting an external valve train, rebuilding band and drum brakes, replacing chains (vehicle is a chain drive) and mounting tube tires on split rims. Plus lots of other stuff...daily oil and water, repacking bearings, greasing suspension, cleaning / re-gapping spark plugs....

Name:	289057679_5995000140516107_6356601412921427276_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	420035