Page 184 of 236 FirstFirst ... 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 5882
    Is there a chance it's a diesel?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Buzz, there is a Fluke 79-iii on KSL right now for $100. That’s a discontinued model but should do more than everything you need.

It doesn’t come with leads, a good set will set you back ~$50 but you can use cheapos from anywhere to measure point to point diagnosing your blower fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Is there a chance it's a diesel?
    Hahaha. Most diesels don't sound this bad. Well, I guess those Oldsmobiles from the late 70s and early 80s did but, no

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I don't know if this link will work but if it does what does this sound like to you guys? This is the knock I have on cold startup that goes away after it warms up, the tick is always there and I (think I) know what that is and it hasn't changed in 10k miles. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3bMy3XmEydZfCgai6 I'm pretty sure the tick is at least one bad rocker arm that has finally caused a camshaft to go bad, is the knock valves banging away or has it turned into something considerably worse?
    Why don't you ask the mechanic that let you poach parts off a dead engine ? Seems like it's a better approach than guessing or opinion of a bunch of shade tree hacks in TGR.

He won't even open it up to look but his price to replace it with a guaranteed used motor is really good.

but his price to replace it with a guaranteed used motor is really good.
    That might seriously be worth it then.

Three mechanics gave it a very quick listen and said get a used motor or throw the thing away because they won't open it to see what's up because they can't promise that any work they'd do would make it better for very long. Even one of our own here said the same thing. Used 80k Pentastar motors are surprisingly cheap. I guess when you sell a million a year for 12 years that's gonna be the case, lots of wrecked Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles means lots of available motors so unless you have one of those (questionable) drivetrain warranties just replace it is the solution. So while it's out of the way I'll do a bunch of stuff to refresh the front end, struts, control arms, hoses and anything else that should've been done but might not have been over 170k miles. All told I should be in for $5k or less.

Three mechanics gave it a very quick listen and said get a used motor or throw the thing away because they won't open it to see what's up because they can't promise that any work they'd do would make it better for very long. Even one of our own here said the same thing. Used 80k Pentastar motors are surprisingly cheap. I guess when you sell a million a year for 12 years that's gonna be the case, lots of wrecked Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles means lots of available motors so unless you have one of those (questionable) drivetrain warranties just replace it is the solution. So while it's out of the way I'll do a bunch of stuff to refresh the front end, struts, control arms, hoses and anything else that should've been done but might not have been over 170k miles. All told I should be in for $5k or less.
    How the fuck are we still having this conversation?!!! That engine is clearly ruined. Much like most things these days, it's as disposable as a bic lighter. No one is going to replace the flint on your bic lighter when they can just give you a used, half filled lighter. Buy a AAA membership, drive it until it blows and throw a used engine in it. FFS, this shouldn't be that hard.

Thanx for the confirmation I got the AAA when I had the Rover. Hard is digging up $5k.

I don't know if this link will work but if it does what does this sound like to you guys? This is the knock I have on cold startup that goes away after it warms up, the tick is always there and I (think I) know what that is and it hasn't changed in 10k miles. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3bMy3XmEydZfCgai6 I'm pretty sure the tick is at least one bad rocker arm that has finally caused a camshaft to go bad, is the knock valves banging away or has it turned into something considerably worse?
    What does it sound like when you rev it?

Well, it's a Pentastar soooo, like somebody put the cat, a bag of nails, and a marzipan dildo in a Blendtec.

^^Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    What does it sound like when you rev it?
    Plastic baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle wheel with someone on the maracas in the background

lots of wrecked Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles means lots of available motors so unless you have one of those (questionable) drivetrain warranties just replace it is the solution.
    Is this the 3.X L Pentastar that had a class action lawsuit?

Sort of. That was only for 2013 and earlier. They say they solved it by 14. They didn't. They kept making revisions to the rocker arms right up to 2020 so they know they fucked up.

For all you Montuckey's out there, this guy does a nice overview of a 90's era 1.8L Miata motor top and bottom rebuild. It's a simple engine compared to what is out today (no variable valve timing, etc.) but he's really thorough and explains it well.

^ I need simple like that, I'm just not sure how to make it happen and still retain modern safety features so I don't die when Joe Coalroller has an attention lapse.

Alright here we go, parts ordered and my favorite shop is on the hunt for the right motor. Hopefully I'm rolling again by next Friday. It's looking like I should be all in for about $4500 including rebuilding half of the front end.

Went to get new tires for the wife's XC60 yesterday at a new tire shop in town thats surprisingly price competitive. They have all new, really fucking nice Hunter equipment and don't charge any more for alignment and balancing than the old standbys and the alignment guy appears to be really good (which is rare anymore). We've had all sorts of issues with tire wear, shaking and just generally shitty steering, this guy figured it out in 10 minutes. Tires are ordered and he'll dial it in on Tuesday, the next day he works. I'm kind of pissed because Mavis has had the thing on their fancy new alignment rack a half dozen times and keep fucking it up worse. They even give me the print out showing that it's good to go. I think they have the thing programmed to fuck cars up so they can sell more tires

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    For all you Montuckey's out there, this guy does a nice overview of a 90's era 1.8L Miata motor top and bottom rebuild. It's a simple engine compared to what is out today (no variable valve timing, etc.) but he's really thorough and explains it well.
    That DOES look enjoyable. Simple indeed. Always wanted a project Miata to tinker with.

I don't know how much modern safety features protect against side impacts from a lifted truck. Their bull bars, or even better, singer bars, are window level. Yet cops still have a hard-on for lowered cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Their bull bars, or even better, singer bars, are window level. Yet cops still have a hard-on for lowered cars.
    For real! Speaking of window level, don't get me started on lifted trucks (and honestly stock ones like the new ginormous Silverado/Sierra) and their xenon or LED headlights blasting your rear-view mirror directly. HOW THE F IS THAT LEGAL?! The US gov has all sorts of nit-picky regulations they have on auto makers, but somehow a regulated headlight height has escaped them? Some of these new trucks have headlights that are higher up than what's on new semis.

Gravity or Montucky could use this. Seems like a solid deal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2616750674874/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Meh. Too reliable... JK. Car actually looks pretty nice. I did always kind of like the Venza. That early generation definitely looks superior to the new one. I'm good on cars now though. My fleet is now up to capacity with 2 out of 3 running beautifully!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

That car doesn't have any torx fasteners or require parts from far away sellers..................

Lol. When I was looking last year they were 14+ with those miles and I couldn't swing it. Of course now with having to put a motor in the Caravan it'll be over that...

Lol. When I was looking last year they were 14+ with those miles and I couldn't swing it. Of course now with having to put a motor in the Caravan it'll be over that...
    I know NOBODY wants to admit loving a minivan but when they run reliably it's about as utilitarian of a vehicle you can find. When that thing is dialed you'll appreciate it. It's like that not so beautiful girl that you know that never says no when it's booty call time.

I would love a Mercedes R350 minivan.