Page 83 of 236 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 5882
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That'll be next. I have only had the car about 2 k miles and I changed oil right after purchase using synthetic( what it calls for) but suspect the previous owner might have used conventional. Sometimes the dino to synthetic can help start leaks that weren't there previously from what i have read. Next oil change will be high mileage synthetic(maybe one weight heavier).

Synthetic won't create new leaks, but if there are already leaks, synthetic can "clean" the old conventional oil deposits causing more seepage. Synthetic will also typically swell old seals, so over time, the leaking could subside.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Synthetic won't create new leaks, but if there are already leaks, synthetic can "clean" the old conventional oil deposits causing more seepage. Synthetic will also typically swell old seals, so over time, the leaking could subside.
    Bingo. Funny timing this discussion, as Engineering Explained JUST did a video where he gets into this topic. Very informative:

I'm out of conventional oil, and full synthetic is now cheaper (Kirkland 2 x 5 qt jugs for $22), so I'm going to be using full synthetic in the 20-year old truck soon. It leaks some oil, so it'll be an experiment to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm out of conventional oil, and full synthetic is now cheaper (Kirkland 2 x 5 qt jugs for $22), so I'm going to be using full synthetic in the 20-year old truck soon. It leaks some oil, so it'll be an experiment to see what happens.
    Do the first full syn change with a high mileage formula like the Castrol Edge. There's some additives that will condition those 20 year old seals so maybe they don't leak (as much).

I use Shell Rotella T 5W40 in my 1979 CJ. I live where it never gets too cold, so I don't worry too much about the thickness.
    Has really helped with leaks.

Two beers to the first to correctly ID this piece. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_133114.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	342171

Flux capacitor fragment?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Two beers to the first to correctly ID this piece. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_133114.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	342171
    Fuel filter strainer.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Filter screen from an AC orifice tube?

Edit: Turbo oil line filter screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Filter screen from an AC orifice tube?

Edit: Turbo oil line filter screen.

A friend of mine had to have a motor rebuilt twice after the original rebuild (I think) because of one of these.

Usually won't kill your motor, just the turbo and can cause avcs issues.

The other day, "hey can you do an oil change and replace my headlight bulb?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201001_135253057_HDR.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	342201

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    A friend of mine had to have a motor rebuilt twice after the original rebuild (I think) because of one of these.

I think they call that a "banjo bolt". So the screen would be a "turbo oil inlet banjo bolt strainer screen", no?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Do the first full syn change with a high mileage formula like the Castrol Edge. There's some additives that will condition those 20 year old seals so maybe they don't leak (as much).
    We switched to the high mileage Mobil 1 0W-20 for the Prius V when it started using some oil. After thirty thousand miles it is using less oil. I think it works a little bit myself. I tried to use 0w-30 in it but that created some wierd noises, maybe with the timing chain. Went away when I went back to the 0w-20.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 10-03-2020 at 06:46 AM.

I'll see your banjo bolt and raise you a double banjo bolt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201002_230138.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	342208

sent from Utah.
    Last edited by basinbeater; 10-02-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    sigless.

Hmmm... You should put a big fuckin amp in there.Name:  1171051022_6uUVB-M.jpeg
Views: 423
Size:  49.8 KB

Not my amp or pic...

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    After ripping out the nasty 16 yo carpet and 2 failed attempts at a different flooring substitute, I went and replaced the carpet using Auto Custom Carpets. Cleaned up a couple rust spots, put down some sound deadener, reused the jute for the driver and front passenger because they didn't give me enough, then trimmed to fit and cut out all spots for HVAC, electrical harnesses, and seat anchors. Wasn't a bad job, certainly isn't a perfect mold from ACC but the price was right. Carpet I got has a rubber layer where the carpet is bonded rather than the fiberglass backing from factory. Should make for easy cleanup by wet vac.
    This is the first thing my daughter and I will be doing to the Bronco once I get it back from Ford with its new heart implant.
    I think that is the same carpet place I found. We are going for the ultra plush with the extra thick rubberized backing.
    Going to do the same cleanup, knock down any rust, coat with Pro 15, or some other easily sprayed rust inhibitor, and then put down sound dampening X-mat. From AAMP Global, which is right down the street. My buddy has an account there, so I should get some good pricing. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Doing the rear brakes on the 2000 GMC Sierra 2500, since I noticed uneven pad wear in the springtime when I swapped out the winter tires. The rear calipers have so much rust that I wasn't able to separate the calipers from their brackets, which is necessary in order to remove the pads -- and GM didn't make it any easier by using torx heads on the caliper slide bolts. Spent 2 hours messing with it all, including breaking my T55 torx socket, got it back together, and ordered new rear calipers from Rockauto -- $34 per side + core charge. Should make for a nice and easy installation, just have to bleed the rear calipers after install.

And I'm back to shopping Autotrader etc or a newer used truck...

15 year old Honda Odyssey with power sliding door issues. Someone on a Odyssey forum sent me a link to a direct replacement for a micro switch that fails in them. Two hours and a few greasy hands later it's all fixed for under $10.
    Official Honda way is replace the $250 latch plus another $250 for labor.

My covid beater project has been taking forever to warm up and I went to throw in a new thermostat. Open it up and shit, it's missing ! I don't even know what to think. Is this a way of driving with a slightly failed head gasket ? Somebody do a road side repair for over heating ? All I know is I have driven this thing about 2500 miles and no signs of a failing head gasket so we'll see how it behaves with a new thermostat.

My covid beater project has been taking forever to warm up and I went to throw in a new thermostat. Open it up and shit, it's missing ! I don't even know what to think. Is this a way of driving with a slightly failed head gasket ? Somebody do a road side repair for over heating ? All I know is I have driven this thing about 2500 miles and no signs of a failing head gasket so we'll see how it behaves with a new thermostat.
    Without a thermostat it will take much longer to warm up and thus operate at less than optimal conditions. Because it is cool, it will likely run rich until it warms up. But it will take a long time to warm up without it, especially now that it's cooling off. If it has a head gasket leak that only manifests itself when warm, this could make it so it takes longer to manifest itself, along with any other warm running issues it might have.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

15 year old Honda Odyssey with power sliding door issues. Someone on a Odyssey forum sent me a link to a direct replacement for a micro switch that fails in them. Two hours and a few greasy hands later it's all fixed for under $10.
    Official Honda way is replace the $250 latch plus another $250 for labor.
    Now THAT'S a wrenching win! Congrats. Screw the dealer!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Without a thermostat it will take much longer to warm up and thus operate at less than optimal conditions. Because it is cool, it will likely run rich until it warms up. But it will take a long time to warm up without it, especially now that it's cooling off. If it has a head gasket leak that only manifests itself when warm, this could make it so it takes longer to manifest itself, along with any other warm running issues it might have.

sent from Utah.
    I'm assuming I don't have a hg issue since I drove it quite a bit this summer. I'm just hoping it was some jackass that did a ghetto fix for overheating or something similar. I also found someone had removed one of the abs sensors so it's not the first head scratcher.

The other day, I was out and about off road. I hit a low laying rock that creased and cut my tailpipe. I hope that I may have 3 options, but may really have only one or two. Not sure what to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7325.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	345140
    Options:
    1) Even though the pipe is soldered to the muffler, maybe I can just replace the tailpipe?
    2) Replace the muffler
    3) Screw the muffler, remove it and just install headers.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

May be able to just weld that, may not last super long pending stress / flex there.

Clean it up and fiberfix it. Worked great on my broken tailpipe. Gonna be hotter where your fix is though