Page 47 of 234 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 5831
    I’ve had pretty good luck with the Tekton brand 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches I bought after the harbor freight Pittsburgh wrench I bought crapped out. Fairly cheap seem accurate. If I need something that Goes past 150 lbs I borrow one from Auto Zone (like for axle hub nuts).

Thinking about getting a quarter inch one though. Mostly for accurate torque at low foot pounds.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks. The tool that I really need is a torque wrench. Looking for recommendations. Don’t wanna break the bank. Car wrenching and would probably use on my bike. I grew up with the kind that’s similar/same as what I also used on the old vermont binding tester. Thx!
    not the same tool. the only need for one on vehicles would be old wheel bearing preload and head gaskets. anything else is overkill

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks. The tool that I really need is a torque wrench. Looking for recommendations. Don’t wanna break the bank. Car wrenching and would probably use on my bike. I grew up with the kind that’s similar/same as what I also used on the old vermont binding tester. Thx!
    Please, please, please use that torque wrench on your spark plugs. The aluminum head strips So easily. And thread inserts don’t last.

Seriously, torque wrench on Every bolt going into an aluminum part (having just helicoiled a clutch hole in a Z flywheel, I am feeling sensitive.)

A Good torque wrench is cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Please, please, please use that torque wrench on your spark plugs. The aluminum head strips So easily. And thread inserts don’t last.
    Yup, I was gonna say.

I like having two torque wrenches, an inch-pounds one for stuff looser than spark plugs, and a foot-pounds one for stuff tighter than spark plugs (use either one for spark plugs). For lug nuts, I just stand on a breaker bar; I can eyeball the "foot" part, and I know the "pounds" part.

Thanks all.

Say what you will about Harbor Freight tools, but I've found their torque wrenches to be pretty decent. Get a 1/4 for bike stuff, other than your crankset, there isn't much on a bike that you need a larger wrench for. I use the 1/2 inch for lug nuts. If you want to spend your cash on a good wrench, drop it on a 3/8 inch wrench. I've found that Craftsman still makes a decent wrench. They're typically available at most Ace Hardware stores.

I pushed right through a 1/2 inch HF socket wrench and pounded my knuckles pretty good on a ujoint. Didn't expect the 1/2 inch to give up that easy.

Plastic gears in my HF 1/2 torque wrench spit teeth for a while before becoming useless. In retrospect I’m not sure how accurate it was either.

Wasn't a torque, but sorry to hear that cause I bought a 3/8 and 1/2 torque on sale. Oh well, the 1/2 busted busting rusty ujoint caps with a press so hopefully the torque will fare better for installations.

Seriously, torque wrench on Every bolt going into an aluminum part (having just helicoiled a clutch hole in a Z flywheel, I am feeling sensitive.)

A Good torque wrench is cheap insurance.
    Did you notice my upthread issues related to destroyed 2uz-fe motor on my land cruiser from that issue? It wasn’t a problem created by me or my mechanic or a friend, but stripped threads on the alu head from a misthreaded or over torqued spark plug sure did suck and was pretty damn expensive (though cheaper than a new uzj100).

Lucky for me, the closest HF is pretty far away and the local ace is, well, local.

I have to change the rear hub bearings on my car this weekend and was planning on using my HF torque wrench to make sure the axle nuts are done right at 140. So you're all saying I should go buy a better one? Shit, that's gonna hurt the wallet I'm trying to save well north of $400 on labor so bought a few things I didn't have and got the parts for $250 less than any shop wanted so I'm still coming out ahead but damn...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have to change the rear hub bearings on my car this weekend and was planning on using my HF torque wrench to make sure the axle nuts are done right at 140. So you're all saying I should go buy a better one? Shit, that's gonna hurt the wallet I'm trying to save well north of $400 on labor so bought a few things I didn't have and got the parts for $250 less than any shop wanted so I'm still coming out ahead but damn...
    No man, go down to Auto Zone and use their tool lending service. I borrowed a 1/2 torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft. Lbs when I did my last Subaru wheel bearing. It carried the “OEM” brand name. The way they handle it iis you essentially buy and return the tool. I’ve borrowed a number of specialty tools that didn’t make sense to buy (like an inner tie rod wrench for example.)

https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-e...t/loan-a-tools

The harbor freight on is fine. I'm calling bullshit on the other poster who said his 1/2 wrench internals were plastic. Don't over think this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    No man, go down to Auto Zone and use their tool lending service. I borrowed a 1/2 torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft. Lbs when I did my last Subaru wheel bearing. It carried the “OEM” brand name. The way they handle it iis you essentially buy and return the tool. I’ve borrowed a number of specialty tools that didn’t make sense to buy (like an inner tie rod wrench for example.)

https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-e...t/loan-a-tools
    This

16” breaker bar

180lb body

Stand at ~ 10” = real close to 140’#

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    The harbor freight on is fine. I'm calling bullshit on the other poster who said his 1/2 wrench internals were plastic. Don't over think this.
    Well being as I took the HF wrench apart and cleared the debris out of it I’m willing to testify that they were definitely some sort of plastic yer honor. (Head is held together by 4 tiny ass Phillips screws)

16” breaker bar

180lb body

Stand at ~ 10” = real close to 140’#
    You're comfortable standing on that with a car on jack stands? I dunno bout that...

You're comfortable standing on that with a car on jack stands? I dunno bout that...
    Sure. I’m not jumping, just applying torque.

Last Saturday was firestone airbags for towing the camper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58208D69-120B-4CB3-BF90-C8EB32E231AD.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	846.4 KB 
ID:	275557

Today was OVTune

Name:	9176CDCC-6522-4728-B46B-A9899B1D0D12.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	275556

crap, software pioed, better reboot

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Last Saturday was firestone airbags for towing the camper
    Where’d you put the valves for the airbags?

Shit shit shit. The first one went well, the second not so much. When I started pulling the hub it came apart rather than coming out. Now I have the inner part stuck in the backing plate. I just ran out to the hardware store to get some extra bolts to put in from the back and start pounding on them. I'm hesitant to soak it in PB because I don't want to get that all over the e-brake pads and hardware.

Fucketyfuck. Nightmare scenario

Nothing is fucked dude.

Yeah I know there's a solution I just didn't have the right tools and it was getting cold and dark so my patience wore pretty thin.

Name:	20190324_130731.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	275720
    Name:  55881757_733324153728029_2312163238273351680_n.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  72.0 KB

First pic is the one that went well, second is the one that's f'd. The front part of the hub came apart from the base and it's so stuck in there now. The base of the hub presses into that backing plate and likes where it lives. Ideas? I have 4 bolts that fit those threaded holes so can put them in and pull from the front but can't get in there to pound it out from the back. I'm also kinda sketched to hit it too hard. It's soaking in PB Blaster so maybe when I go back at it in the morning it will be easier. I'm not sure where to add some heat either. I went above my pay grade on this one

You’re almost there. Try slipping a cold chisel behind the dust sheild& housing and the knuckle and strike down on it very sharply. One on each side alternating blows. I get that you’re reluctant to get busy on that thing but that’s the only thing it’s goint to respect. I pounded on one Of those bitches like it owed me money before it came off. Make sure your jack stand is secure, deadman a wheel underneath it and add the jack on that side just to make sure. .

Keep at it it’ll go.