Page 86 of 236 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 5882
    I always hammered the socket over the cap, then pulled the cap out of the socket with pliers. Sometimes the socket would only go on half way but I never rounded a lug nut and once off the stud the nut always fell right out of the socket (sans cap). Try putting a little split in the cap, just at the edge, it will still be tight enough to stay on the lug nut but can be pulled off whenever you want to put a socket on the nut.

You know what else surprised me was how difficult it was to get a 23mm 6 point socket locally. Forget the half size, that's completely out of the question and only one store didn't look at me like I had two heads when I asked for one. Something so common shouldn't even be a problem.

I got that 22.5mm impact socket today and finally got the damned wheels off. It fit 16 out of 20 lug nuts (that are supposed to be 22's) and 3 of the other 4 used 23 but it was sloppy and on 1 the 22.5 had to be hammered on because the 23 was too sloppy. What a royal pain in the ass. On the bright side now I know for sure that I need to do both control arms and swaylink on the passenger side (which really means both sides)

What does everybody like for low dust but grippy brake pads on heavy, powerful (fun to drive hard ) suv's? These https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-...uv-brake-pads/ and these https://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellow...rt-brake-pads/ look like a good choice and they're available in the right size for my front Brembos. I'm leaning to the high friction because it's a 6k pound truck and I like a firm pedal/good bite feel.

Love Akebonos for sporty but not racing. Very low dust, low noise. No idea on those EBCs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What a goddamn hassle it is to get the 944t clutch master cylinder out.
    Luckily, I got it out. Ugh, what a goddamn hassle it is to get the 944t clutch master cylinder in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201114_180836.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	348000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201114_180841.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	348001

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

^ Does not look fun.

I picked these wheels up a few years ago with a plan to have them refinished. Lug nuts were overtightened or the wrong lug nuts were used at some point in their past and the shoulders on the lug nut holes have small lips. The shoulders are pretty ugly but do not feel rough or damaged otherwise. Trying to decide if the lug nut holes can be repaired without a bunch of work and if the wheels are worth refinishing. Anyone with experience?

Name:  wheelsextra1small.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  wheelsextra2small.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  152.7 KB

Correct OEM tapered lug nut design for reference.

Name:  lug_nut_seat_types.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  44.6 KB

Time to replace truck battery. I’ve done 3 gold top duralast 5 year autozones in a row and not all that impressed. Any of the other better for similar money? And or any good sales now or soon?

I put a blue top Optima in my Jeep. Thing will last 10 years plus.
    NOT similar price range- similar to two duralasts

Balmy Florida is a little easier on battieries though isn’t it?

ETA thing I’m not thrilled about is that if you have two rigs and let one sit, they don’t seem to like that, tend to drain down pretty easy especially in year 3. Also seem to die at 5 years and 2 days from date of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Time to replace truck battery. I’ve done 3 gold top duralast 5 year autozones in a row and not all that impressed. Any of the other better for similar money? And or any good sales now or soon?
    Costco sells Interstate with a non-pro-rated warranty -- something like 3 years. I've used them in all our cars for years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Pop the cables off the battery. Clean terminals, clean posts. Reassemble. Still need a new battery?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Yup, been doing that. Would make it another summer, but not winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Balmy Florida is a little easier on battieries though isn’t it?
    Never thought about it much. I know that cars that sit here all summer in garages go through batteries faster.
    I guess the cold would be tougher on batteries.

Please be very gentle with those impact drivers. They csn damage the cervix irreparably.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I put a blue top Optima in my Jeep. Thing will last 10 years plus.
    NOT similar price range- similar to two duralasts
    Meh... I have not had the premium experience with Optima that everyone raves about, save my boat battery. I find them to have around the same lifespan as an Interstate. That said it's balls cold here, so who kniws

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Meh... I have not had the premium experience with Optima that everyone raves about, save my boat battery. I find them to have around the same lifespan as an Interstate. That said it's balls cold here, so who kniws
    You're actually not wrong. Optima USED to be totally tits. But then they got bought out, they no longer make them in the US, and anecdotal evidence across the interwebs seems to suggest that quality just isn't what it used to be. I'm hearing that for the money, Interstate's a better buy.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You're actually not wrong. Optima USED to be totally tits. But then they got bought out, they no longer make them in the US, and anecdotal evidence across the interwebs seems to suggest that quality just isn't what it used to be. I'm hearing that for the money, Interstate's a better buy.
    Great to know. Just put two Interstates in the plow truck. Had Optimas and they lasted three winters. Course Powerstrokes gonna Powerstroke.

I haven't had good luck with the newer Interstates from Costco, but the warranty is a no-hassle thing. Only hassle is actually having to pull a battery and bring it to the store.

I’ll say I did get one of the duralast’s warrantied out, but that doesn’t mean shit if you’re stranded at the top of a cold dark pass at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    I haven't had good luck with the newer Interstates from Costco, but the warranty is a no-hassle thing. Only hassle is actually having to pull a battery and bring it to the store.
    If you wanted, you could return the Costco battery just shy of the warranty expiration and get a new one. Rinse and repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I guess I'll see. The old yellow top I had in there lasted since 2004, and I just changed to blue top less than a year ago. I don't drive the Jeep too much, and I figured the marine blue top would hold up longer. If it only lasts 3 years I'll be unhappy. That is like $90 a year.

I’ve been told the capacity/size/Amps of a battery are usually overkill for the vehicle, but not much to base it on. I know in between batteries at one point I stuck one from a 2.5 4banger wrangler in the 4.9f150 and it cranked just fine all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I guess I'll see. The old yellow top I had in there lasted since 2004, and I just changed to blue top less than a year ago. I don't drive the Jeep too much, and I figured the marine blue top would hold up longer. If it only lasts 3 years I'll be unhappy. That is like $90 a year.
    Mind you I'm repeatedly starting a 1997 7.3L in single degrees and using a plow. I have a high output alternator but it takes a lot of CCA to start a haggard, old stroker when it's been sitting for three days in 5* weather. Seems like a recipe to kill batteries.

Mind you I'm repeatedly starting a 1997 7.3L in single degrees and using a plow. I have a high output alternator but it takes a lot of CCA to start a haggard, old stroker when it's been sitting for three days in 5* weather. Seems like a recipe to kill batteries.
    Amen. However I have taken advantage of costco optima's warranty more times than I'd like to admit. Shit between 4 vehicles and a boat(or two) batteries start to get expensive.

It sat for a while, but finally got around to swapping out the bad master and slave cylinders for the clutch. One of them had failed, not sure which, but if one failed, the other would be right behind it. The master was a bitch. Bleeding was pretty easy with a motive power bleeder. Should have bought one of these 10 years ago. Oh well.

https://youtu.be/s5CJ91M-UC8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201114_180841.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	348859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_204359.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	348861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_220319.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	348862

sent from Utah.
    sigless.