Page 208 of 236 FirstFirst ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 5882
    Armrests are the shit! Good move. I wish my current ones were height adjustable, they are attached to the seat back so depending on how my back is reacting at the moment they might be facing too high or low.

Anyone ever had a transmission rebuilt? I just did rather than taking a rebuilt (done in house) that he had on the shelf figuring it would be less of a programming hassle. IMO it's shifting more authoritatively then I expected. 1>2>3 up and 3<2<1 down are really clunky. 2 of the 4 motor and tranny mounts I put in with the new motor a few months ago were trashed (Fack!) so replacing those helped but not enough. He plugged it in 3 times since to run different learn/relearn programs and I've put a few hundred miles on. He says give it as much as 1k for the new, tight clutches to wear to each other and it ought to be fine. Collective thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Armrests are the shit! Good move. I wish my current ones were height adjustable, they are attached to the seat back so depending on how my back is reacting at the moment they might be facing too high or low.

Anyone ever had a transmission rebuilt? I just did rather than taking a rebuilt (done in house) that he had on the shelf figuring it would be less of a programming hassle. IMO it's shifting more authoritatively then I expected. 1>2>3 up and 3<2<1 down are really clunky. 2 of the 4 motor and tranny mounts I put in with the new motor a few months ago were trashed (Fack!) so replacing those helped but not enough. He plugged it in 3 times since to run different learn/relearn programs and I've put a few hundred miles on. He says give it as much as 1k for the new, tight clutches to wear to each other and it ought to be fine. Collective thoughts?
    I've bought a rebuilt (albeit HD) tranny before and had a similar experience but it's a known "upgrade" in the HD truck world. If you go on aftermarket tranny sites, they all mention it. Soooooo...I wouldn't think that it necessarily equates to a QC issue.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

He said he does more builds for taxis, cv's and ProMasters so it's tighter and tougher than it would've been before so he gives an unlimited mile 1 year warranty. So that kinda jives with what you said. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dude, that is incredible. You're going to have the nicest OBS Bronco on the planet.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    Fingers crossed. It gets registered in the next few weeks, then on to 33X12.50 BFG AT's, rear drum rebuild, and all wheel bearings changed. That will all be done by my new go to shop- Tony's Total Performance. Tony is a 6'5" Italian that knew more about my truck than I did, without even seeing it. Huge confidence booster, so I will gladly hand it over for the stuff I don't want to deal with/ safety stuff. Hoping he can clear the ABS light. It may need a rebuild on the ABS module.
    Once that is done, I have to replace the clock spring, and we should be good for a summer of cruising and praying no issues arise once she is streetable.

Pray for me

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Fingers crossed. It gets registered in the next few weeks, then on to 33X12.50 BFG AT's, rear drum rebuild, and all wheel bearings changed. That will all be done by my new go to shop- Tony's Total Performance. Tony is a 6'5" Italian that knew more about my truck than I did, without even seeing it. Huge confidence booster, so I will gladly hand it over for the stuff I don't want to deal with/ safety stuff. Hoping he can clear the ABS light. It may need a rebuild on the ABS module.
    Once that is done, I have to replace the clock spring, and we should be good for a summer of cruising and praying no issues arise once she is streetable.

Pray for me
    Am I crazy or was this a father/daughter project at one point for your kid ?

Grrrr, P0934 and it's flaring hard between 5< >6 randomly so I have to keep it in 5th (manumatic mode) so it doesn't float. Damn, going on week 2 of getting this dialed in. Fuk.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Am I crazy or was this a father/daughter project at one point for your kid ?
    Still is. I do all the work. She gets to drive it. My younger daughter did more wrenching, but she will drive it too.
    I made the older one go with me to the JY a couple times, and made her pay for some stuff. She stripped all the paint off the skid plate for the gas tank, and she helped me do some of the painting. I had visions of her getting more into it, but I knew what I was getting into. She loves driving it, and has a lot of opinions on the stereo setup. The smile on her face when she drives it makes it worth it.

Found a new favorite tool. UV Glue.

This stuff sets up instantly when you hit it with UV light, like they do at the dentist.
    You can basically tack weld plastic in place and then follow up with layers to strengthen it.
    The plastic piece that houses the armrests were basically shattered, so the armrests were floppy in spots.
    I fixed it.

Just a little of what I was dealing with:

Armrest back in place, and nothing broke. Re-install required a bit of force. This glue is amazing.

Finished product-
    Last edited by warthog; 06-05-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Still is. I do all the work. She gets to drive it. My younger daughter did more wrenching, but she will drive it too.
    I made the older one go with me to the JY a couple times, and made her pay for some stuff. She stripped all the paint off the skid plate for the gas tank, and she helped me do some of the painting. I had visions of her getting more into it, but I knew what I was getting into. She loves driving it, and has a lot of opinions on the stereo setup. The smile on her face when she drives it makes it worth it.
    I was hoping to hear your kids were just as into the project as you but sounds like they're well adjusted and smart kids that let dad be the fleet bitch.

It sux when you do the smart thing and get fucked. I chose to go with a highly recommended local tranny shop to rebuild mine rather than spending almost as much on a used one and it's been nothing but problems. I've lost 2 weeks of work now, almost got something done when I drove out to the other end of the state yesterday afternoon but had to turn around and milk it home overnight so I could drive slow and not be in the way. 680 miles in 14 hours (including a nap and weed store visit), the first 260 or so were pretty good but then the banging came back and it started flaring hard on 2>3>4>5 upshifts then banging as it drops into gear. I dropped my daughter off at her bf's and when I went to leave it slipped through the gears and limped away in 3rd. I turned it off for a while and it sort of reset and behaved fairly well coming home but it floats between 4th to 6th.

Fukkk

It sux when you do the smart thing and get fucked. I chose to go with a highly recommended local tranny shop to rebuild mine rather than spending almost as much on a used one and it's been nothing but problems. I've lost 2 weeks of work now, almost got something done when I drove out to the other end of the state yesterday afternoon but had to turn around and milk it home overnight so I could drive slow and not be in the way. 680 miles in 14 hours (including a nap and weed store visit), the first 260 or so were pretty good but then the banging came back and it started flaring hard on 2>3>4>5 upshifts then banging as it drops into gear. I dropped my daughter off at her bf's and when I went to leave it slipped through the gears and limped away in 3rd. I turned it off for a while and it sort of reset and behaved fairly well coming home but it floats between 4th to 6th.

Fukkk
    What kind of warranty with the rebuild ?

12 month unlimited miles. I'm not too worried about getting the shop to make it right but the loss of the vehicle hurts. I'd also love to know what went so wrong with it.

12 month unlimited miles. I'm not too worried about getting the shop to make it right but the loss of the vehicle hurts. I'd also love to know what went so wrong with it.
    Don't waste your time worrying about something you can't fix yourself just take it back, when you do DO NOT MENTION driving the car 500 plus miles while not shifting correctly. The plan of ANY tranny rebuild shop is to spend as least as possible on a rebuild and get it out the door. I use to have a trusted mechanic that moved about 7-8 years ago that wouldn't step into a transmission shop. He did all the mechanical work for a few of the well known rebuilders in his area and he had nothing good to say about them. Ask if they have a car you can use while your van is down. Some shops have cars they let you use for a fee.
    Last edited by fatnslow; 06-06-2023 at 12:01 PM.

What year is this vehicle? I had all sorts of weird shift stuff going on. Then I had the PSOM, the little computer behind the speedo rebuilt. Fixed everything. Maybe it is just a leaking capacitor on the board causing this?

I was hoping to hear your kids were just as into the project as you but sounds like they're well adjusted and smart kids that let dad be the fleet bitch.
    I had visions of them with greasy hands wanting to help a lot more, but I was realistic about it. I am the fleet bitch, the household handyman, the pool guy, etc. That's the life of a dad.
    My hope is that they are paying attention, and someday will bring home spouses that can at least operate a screwdriver.

What year is this vehicle? I had all sorts of weird shift stuff going on. Then I had the PSOM, the little computer behind the speedo rebuilt. Fixed everything. Maybe it is just a leaking capacitor on the board causing this?
    Pretty sure this is the $65,000 Dodge Caravan.

I had visions of them with greasy hands wanting to help a lot more, but I was realistic about it. I am the fleet bitch, the household handyman, the pool guy, etc. That's the life of a dad.
    My hope is that they are paying attention, and someday will bring home spouses that can at least operate a screwdriver.
    I just recall you mentioning that your kid was all in when you started the project and being somewhat envious and laughing at your assumption the enthusiasm would last. My kids are 25, 22 and 19 and they don't fix ANYTHING. I'm still the fleet bitch.... just replaced radiator, alternator, passenger window and TB/WP on my oldest kids car (technically mine) in the last 3 months.

Oh, she was all into it in theory. Naive dad vs oldest child syndrome I guess.
    Lucky for her, dad loves this shit.
    I am just stoked she is still thinking it is so cool. I was worried she would get new Bronco envy when we started seeing them all over, but she really doesn't like them. Every time she sees one she says how much she likes our old one better. Once she is driving it, she will have to be much more active in the maintenance and making sure I am aware of any new noises or strangeness. If she can do that, I'll be happy.

My beater benz's IR fob/key recently died and I have been using the valet key and manually lock/unlock at the passenger door because the driver door does not have a key hole, just the IR receiver. I added a $20 Amazon remote entry with much help from Benzworld. After the second attempt with some online advice I have success. Now I can lock/unlock remotely without being closer than 10 feet.
    WTF Benz engineers ??!! I know even in 1997 they had rf remotes that worked from respectable distances. I like driving euros but for fuck sakes they like to reinvent the wheel for no good reason every chance they get.

WTF German engineers ??!! ... I like driving euros but for fuck sakes they like to reinvent the wheel for no good reason every chance they get.
    FIFY. Seriously, though. Why, Germany? WHY??!!

Fun experience today... Was driving down the freeway at around 75mph when I started feeling some bumps, thought it was the road, very quickly got worse and I started pulling over. Get to the shoulder sliding to a stop and the front right wheel keeps going. Cracked wheel, rotor, hub, maybe axle and knuckle need to be replaced. Will not be returning to the shop that did my tire rotation last week Lucky to not hit anyone or anything and come out of this with nothing worse than a (much) lighter wallet and some brown pants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70801868197__2BB8E020-7669-4D1A-A629-822BF87BA96A.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	461364

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Fun experience today... Was driving down the freeway at around 75mph when I started feeling some bumps, thought it was the road, very quickly got worse and I started pulling over. Get to the shoulder sliding to a stop and the front right wheel keeps going. Cracked wheel, rotor, hub, maybe axle and knuckle need to be replaced. Will not be returning to the shop that did my tire rotation last week Lucky to not hit anyone or anything and come out of this with nothing worse than a (much) lighter wallet and some brown pants.

Almost had a similar situation here today. Wife tells me the car has started making clunking noises when going downhill.

Took it out for a spin, and yep, clunking from the left rear starts under light braking.

Get the jack out, planning on taking the wheel off to see if anything is loose in there. Go to crack the lug nuts and they’re all loose.

Except I was the shop that did the wheel change. And 100% sure they were properly torqued when I switched the summer wheels back on.

Reminder to re-torque after driving for a bit.

He sent it to the Dodge dealer to see if there was a software update that would affect it and there was. It's much better now, not perfect though and that seems to be due to a minor engine misfire that's sending fkd up signals to the tcm and messing with the shifting. The misfire isn't enough to set codes though so the dealer tech wouldn't guess at what's up.

Finally doing the valve cover gasket on the old LC

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post

Doesn't sound like this is your situation, but on many Toyota trucks and truck based SUVs, the lower ball joints are a point of failure that results in a lot of similar destruction - so always use OEM ones on Toyota / Lexus trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.