Page 121 of 234 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 5831
    Does throwing your whole VIN into that search function narrow it down? I’d start there. If not, I’d call a Volvo dealer that you don’t have a sour relationship with and ask their parts people if they can narrow it down for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

color codes on the springs -- white green green , red red blue --- look at springs and see if you see a series of three marks not exactly those but if you see you'll see what I mean

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/p...738/?id=226738

That makes it look like your code for front spring is the first two digits on the bottom left of that sticker if you have one.

I know a lot of cars have left and right and springs for autos/manuals etc because of weight differences and that is what the paint marks are for on the side of the spring. Gets confusing and takes googling. In the end, you can probably use any of those springs and have a car that goes down the road fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Does throwing your whole VIN into that search function narrow it down? I’d start there. If not, I’d call a Volvo dealer that you don’t have a sour relationship with and ask their parts people if they can narrow it down for you.
    I did. Still doesn't narrow it down, BUT thanks to Ugly's link, it apparently boils down to chassis code which that helped me decipher. I should still double check with dealer before pulling the trigger, but their parts dept and I are still cool. It's their lousy service dept that's still on my shit list. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    color codes on the springs -- white green green , red red blue --- look at springs and see if you see a series of three marks not exactly those but if you see you'll see what I mean
    I only have 2 color dots on each that I saw. Orange and Yellow. Don't know what that means, but that's all I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/p...738/?id=226738

That makes it look like your code for front spring is the first two digits on the bottom left of that sticker if you have one.

I know a lot of cars have left and right and springs for autos/manuals etc because of weight differences and that is what the paint marks are for on the side of the spring. Gets confusing and takes googling. In the end, you can probably use any of those springs and have a car that goes down the road fine.
    THANK YOU!!! That link had just what I needed (I think). Always wondered what that sticker was for. Anyway, apparently the first 2 digits of the chassis code are what I needed to look for. $185 each, though. OOF! Freaking Volvo. Always expensive ass parts. Glad I do all my own labor or this car would've been the end of me. Haha. It needs new struts BAD, though. My car's starting to ride like Uncle Buck's Mercury Marquis Brougham.

Just called dealer to verify. Yup! The link Ugly posted was indeed correct. Thanks, guys!

So, another dumb coil spring question. Existing springs seem to be in good condition. No rust or cracks or anything. I thought preassembling the strut/coil setup seemed like a good idea but geez that's a lot of extra coin for mine. At 200K, would it be a bad thing to keep on using the old ones? Guess I'll need a spring compressor setup. I'm a total suspension rookie so pretty clueless on this one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'd reuse coil springs unless damaged. Spring compressors aren't that scary, just be careful. You can get loaner ones from Autozone.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    So, another dumb coil spring question. Existing springs seem to be in good condition. No rust or cracks or anything. I thought preassembling the strut/coil setup seemed like a good idea but geez that's a lot of extra coin for mine. At 200K, would it be a bad thing to keep on using the old ones? Guess I'll need a spring compressor setup. I'm a total suspension rookie so pretty clueless on this one.

I would reuse, OEM springs are pretty beefy. Most spring replacement are for breakage , rust or performance upgrades. Infact lots of folks hate them after upgrading and you probably won't be road rallying that soccer mom Vulva wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd reuse coil springs unless damaged. Spring compressors aren't that scary, just be careful. You can get loaner ones from Autozone.
    They are like $35 to $50. I bought the oem brand and have used them many times. So much better than the pain in the ass of borrowing. But obviously great for one time users.

Just always keep the spring laying flat on the ground when under compression. Never stand it up. I just treat it like a loaded gun with barrels on both ends.

OEMTOOLS 25550 MacPherson 10.75 Inch Strut Spring Compressor, Set of 2 Universal Spring Compressor Tools, 9.75 Inch Maximum Safe Opening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMDPLM...0MWDKWBJHVJKDQ

Most shops will compress and assemble them for $50ish bucks as well if you're gun shy...and I totally relate. It is a bit scary, or if you're not scared you're probably doing it wrong.

I think reuse depends on the car. Every car we own hammers especially the rear springs because we load the shit out of them and haul ass going to the mountains and back over bouncy interstates at full load.

For a grocery getter Volvo and $185 each I would seriously consider resuse unless you have noticeable annoying sag.

Ok. Thanks everyone. Yeah. Total slow ass grocery getter I'm just trying to run til the wheels fall off. Will try and reuse springs then. Thought I might as well replace when I saw how some were only like $35-50 each, but when I saw how mine were specific to variant codes and THOSE were like $185 (almost $300 at dealer) each, it made me second guess that direction. Will be doing rears next plus suspension on my parents aging vehicles after I learn on mine, so maybe a compression tool set is a worthy investment. Pulling the trigger on all the strut components this weekend.

Just a heads up. those auto store spring compressors are sketchy on springs for trucks and SUVs. I just did the shocks and struts on my Gen 3 Tacoma and I was able to buy fully built struts online (i.e., w/ new spring and top hat installed on the strut). I was upgrading, so the cost of the complete setup was not a big deal. Made it super easy to just swap em out. Also, youtube rules. There are many tutorials for the whole process online. Unbelievably easy compared to doing it BITD, w/ just a shop manual, or nothing,

Wrenchin... Adventures under the hood... Put em here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    Just a heads up. those auto store spring compressors are sketchy on springs for trucks and SUVs. I just did the shocks and struts on my Gen 3 Tacoma and I was able to buy fully built struts online (i.e., w/ new spring and top hat installed on the strut). I was upgrading, so the cost of the complete setup was not a big deal. Made it super easy to just swap em out. Also, youtube rules. There are many tutorials for the whole process online. Unbelievably easy compared to doing it BITD, w/ just a shop manual, or nothing,
    FYI Tacos and 4Runners (and probably many other vehicles ) there’s an extremely easy, extremely safe way to remove struts and you DONT need a spring compressor.

Look up “no spring compressor method” on YouTube. Basically you hold the spring compressed and bolted in with a floor jack under the lower control arm and the body supported on jack stands. Then unbolt then top strut nut (you leave e bottom strut nut attached to the control arm) Then slowly release the floor jack and the spring will decompress with the lower control arm, the strut extends and the you can take it all off with zero tension on anything. I did my 4tunner suspension multiple times and had it down to about a five minute job.

It’s all very controlled, the strut is attached to the car so it’s not going to fly off under spring pressure, the spring is held in check by the strut and your wheel well so it’s not long anywhere.

Don’t get preassembled struts unless you’re going high quality like Bilstein, Dobindon, Fox and the like. Most of the cheap pre-assembled strut assemblies you’ll find online are poor quality springs that will sag soon, and they come attached to crappy gas struts like Monroe and Skyjacker. I wouldn’t ever recommend going with cheap aftermarket springs.

I'm pretty sure i've used the shitty screw type compressors on a tacoma front strut and it was fine.

I've been meaning to buy one of these for awhile now though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SK3000_small_spring__98396.1566953862.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	392624

That works. I did my 4R ARB/Old Man Emu springs and Bilsteins with my cheap OEM brand spring compressor. No problema. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    FYI Tacos and 4Runners (and probably many other vehicles ) there’s an extremely easy, extremely safe way to remove struts and you DONT need a spring compressor.

Look up “no spring compressor method” on YouTube. Basically you hold the spring compressed and bolted in with a floor jack under the lower control arm and the body supported on jack stands. Then unbolt then top strut nut (you leave e bottom strut nut attached to the control arm) Then slowly release the floor jack and the spring will decompress with the lower control arm, the strut extends and the you can take it all off with zero tension on anything. I did my 4tunner suspension multiple times and had it down to about a five minute job.

It’s all very controlled, the strut is attached to the car so it’s not going to fly off under spring pressure, the spring is held in check by the strut and your wheel well so it’s not long anywhere.

Don’t get preassembled struts unless you’re going high quality like Bilstein, Dobindon, Fox and the like. Most of the cheap pre-assembled strut assemblies you’ll find online are poor quality springs that will sag soon, and they come attached to crappy gas struts like Monroe and Skyjacker. I wouldn’t ever recommend going with cheap aftermarket springs.
    I watched a vid of a guy doing it that way. Pretty inventive. I put in Bilstein 6112s in the front and 5160s in the back. Huge upgrade relatively cheap. I'd try your method next time, now that I know the rest of the steps aren't too bad. My truck has 70k so I was expecting some potential difficulties, which turned out not to be the case. Having the replacements prebuilt seemed like a no brainer, given they come with new springs and the cost of the tophat and assembly was "cheap". As for the spring compressors, I have a set for sale if anyone wants them.

A word on loaner tools from AZone and others - take a good look at them before you use them. I’ve borrowed a bunch and usually had good results but they’re only as good as the last knucklehead who used them. For example a brake line flare tool. Made a test flare and it was uneven, tried another same result. Then I took a close look at the adapter and the damn thing was bent. Bought my own set and had no problem.

I realize the spring compressor isn’t exactly a precision device but if it looks loose, stripped or at all janky I’d say no thanks.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    A word on loaner tools from AZone and others - take a good look at them before you use them. I’ve borrowed a bunch and usually had good results but they’re only as good as the last knucklehead who used them. For example a brake line flare tool. Made a test flare and it was uneven, tried another same result. Then I took a close look at the adapter and the damn thing was bent. Bought my own set and had no problem.

I realize the spring compressor isn’t exactly a precision device but if it looks loose, stripped or at all janky I’d say no thanks.
    Good advice. I have an OTC spring compressor that had never been abused or loaned out but the last time I used it the threaded rod snapped at the nut sending the fully compressed spring flying across the shop. Luckily it didn't hit me or anything in the shop, looking at the break there was no sign of any preexisting damage or any reason it failed.
    I have an older version without the pins to secure the spring.

Name:	61mCFth4rQL._AC_SL1413_.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	392647

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I'm pretty sure i've used the shitty screw type compressors on a tacoma front strut and it was fine.

I've been meaning to buy one of these for awhile now though

Name:	SK3000_small_spring__98396.1566953862.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	392624
    I've used cheap compressors on VW struts and on my F-150. The latter was moderately terrifying given how much force I needed to apply to the screw to get the springs compressed enough, and I wasn't even disassembling them (added SuperSpring helper inserts). If I need to disassemble at some point in the future, I'll either farm it out or get my hands on better spring compressors.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

^^ It's devilishly good? Those rpm's...
    Did you have to pull the side marker light to get enough charge into it to unlock the doors?

Just bit the bullet and ordered this Bilstein kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ein-22182876kt
    and this coil spring compressor tool: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mcp...ol-lisle-62300
    Hoping to do the job this weekend. Wish me luck. I'm only a bit scared because that car's my only wheels these days so I have to bang it out kinda quick. Better not have any issues that require a trip to the store or I'm screwed. Haha. Scarier wrenching when you have no backup ride.

^^^ Have a can or two of your favorite rust penetrant on hand. And a propane torch, a torque wrench, air tools, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This may be common sense but lubricate the threaded rods on tools like the one shown above. Makes turning easier and extends the life of the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ Have a can or two of your favorite rust penetrant on hand. And a propane torch, a torque wrench, air tools, etc...
    For sure. Gonna spray a butt ton of PB Blaster on every damn bolt day ahead and morning of the job. Haha. Also got my kick ass Milwaukee 1/2" impact ready to rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This may be common sense but lubricate the threaded rods on tools like the one shown above. Makes turning easier and extends the life of the tool.
    Thanks. Good tip. That's what I've been reading everywhere. Any advice on what lube works best for that purpose? Something thick like axle grease or something simple like a particular lubricant spray?

I've used a light machine oil like a 3-In-One but just about anything is better than nothing. Grease sounds messy.